Week 16 - Browns and the Saints - or "Jarvis, you'd be proud of DPJ"

Bucketheadsdad

Playoffs?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. We making it?

• Huge hill to climb...even higher than the late "Top Thrill Dragster"
    • We've got a shot
    • No way
    • Watch what you're doing....you are supposed to pee in the cup, not on your hand
    • Come on 2023!

56 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

There is no out with Watson though unless some team agreed to trade for him. No one (maybe one) will ever suggest cutting him with his fully guaranteed contract and everything we traded to get him. Watson isn't taking the fall if he fails, Stefanski and the front office are.

It wasn't Baker or Watson and there are no other options available. I would have been fine with anyone else. Stupid me would have been happy with Russell Wilson.

Of course there were other options, but who was better?  Like, that’s the issue.  It’s a QB driven league and either you have that guy or you don’t.  That’s why 14 teams or whatever called about the pervert. 

The trade, removing the rapey behavior, was a home run imo.  You don’t get the opportunity to trade for a player of his caliber ever without issues.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I disagree unless you were already 90% built and traded what we traded to get that pick. This isn't like the Browns drafting 1st overall where you are trying to build a roster.

The only difference is time.  A HC, and FO that picked a guy #1 would usually get a fair amount of time to see if it works out.  The fact that we have a ready-made team (for the most part), and added Watson to put us over the top, will definitely make everyone's seat hot if it doesn't appear to be working.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course there were other options, but who was better?  Like, that’s the issue.  It’s a QB driven league and either you have that guy or you don’t.  That’s why 14 teams or whatever called about the pervert. 

The trade, removing the rapey behavior, was a home run imo.  You don’t get the opportunity to trade for a player of his caliber ever without issues.  

You can't really remove his off field issues though because that's why a lot of people think he has under performed. 700 days off between games (if you don't count preseason) has been the only reason I've seen that anyone has said he has struggled. At least among Browns fans, seems many are coming out of the woodwork to say he was always overrated now but I didn't hear any of that before his got back on the field.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

The only difference is time.  A HC, and FO that picked a guy #1 would usually get a fair amount of time to see if it works out.  The fact that we have a ready-made team (for the most part), and added Watson to put us over the top, will definitely make everyone's seat hot if it doesn't appear to be working.

And the investment is much different. You use 1 pick with a rookie salary contract. It does still get people fired but using multiple 1sts and a huge guaranteed contract makes the stakes much higher and the leash much shorter, at least theoretically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

And the investment is much different. You use 1 pick with a rookie salary contract. It does still get people fired but using multiple 1sts and a huge guaranteed contract makes the stakes much higher and the leash much shorter, at least theoretically.

We also took less of a risk (imo) by landing someone who is proven, rather than a rookie.  I agree that the assets we gave up were/are high, but we should figure out sometime next year if it was worth it!

28 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

We also took less of a risk (imo) by landing someone who is proven, rather than a rookie.  I agree that the assets we gave up were/are high, but we should figure out sometime next year if it was worth it!

Certainly less of a risk on the football field, you've actually seen him play against NFL teams. The window starts closing after next year as the contracts will be in full force and the carryover gone. Watson gets until the end of his contract to prove he was worth it. The staff may not get that long though.

19 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I think they’re only high if you don’t look at comps.

We paid roughly what the Rams did for Stafford and what the Broncos did for Wilson.  Roughly the same as the 9ers for Lance, the ‘Skins for RGIII, etc. and those guys were completely unproven.

This is the going rate tbh.

The difference is we got a guy who is 27 vs being either 5-6 years older or completely unproven.  From a cost perspective it wasn’t bad.  The suspension and such will be irrelevant in the end.  Either he plays well moving forward or he doesn’t, but 11 games in 2022 will mean nothing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Your right he is a franchise top 5 qb..

Al.michaels they wish they had Mayfield back.