Week 16 - Browns and the Saints - or "Jarvis, you'd be proud of DPJ"

Bucketheadsdad

Playoffs?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. We making it?

• Huge hill to climb...even higher than the late "Top Thrill Dragster"
    • We've got a shot
    • No way
    • Watch what you're doing....you are supposed to pee in the cup, not on your hand
    • Come on 2023!

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d prolly do like 5 million tbh. But he wouldn’t be my first choice tbh.

I'd prefer 5 but inflation a real mfer. 

Considering our limits, I'd sooner spend somewhere else. You are right.  

I'm not sure where the strength of rhe draft is dt or de which will guide our decision making a little. 

If we could get a pass rushing de at our 2nd round pick I'd consider it.

40 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd prefer 5 but inflation a real mfer. 

Considering our limits, I'd sooner spend somewhere else. You are right.  

I'm not sure where the strength of rhe draft is dt or de which will guide our decision making a little. 

If we could get a pass rushing de at our 2nd round pick I'd consider it.

I guess my whole thing is what are you replacing?  Right now it’s 23 tackles and 2.0 sacks in 11 games. We can talk all we want about his athleticism, ability to play the run, etc, but that’s what he’s contributed on the stat sheet.  

If we’re being honest literally anyone who plays as many snaps as he did will likely be able to put up similar numbers.  Why would we pay him more than some mid to late round draft pick?

I don’t think we should Moneyball the whole thing, but at some point there has to be a realization that his production nor his impact match his salary, or anything close to it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think I think playing in this game with little playoff aspirations is good for us long term

itll be a reminder how they’ll not want to be in this situation again playing in weather like this without playoff aspirations 

I think it’ll help them get this **** together so that way moving forward we can handle our business earlier in the season so that if we play in horrible conditions like this it’s for a reason. 

Yeah, It's finally time a Browns team plays some meaningless games late in the season. If this were to have happened at some point in the last 25 years who knows how many SB titles we would have.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess my whole thing is what are you replacing?  Right now it’s 23 tackles and 2.0 sacks in 11 games. We can talk all we want about his athleticism, ability to play the run, etc, but that’s what he’s contributed on the stat sheet.  

If we’re being honest literally anyone who plays as many snaps as he did will likely be able to put up similar numbers.  Why would we pay him more than some mid to late round draft pick?

I don’t think we should Moneyball the whole thing, but at some point there has to be a realization that his production nor his impact match his salary, or anything close to it.

I think he has been marginally better than his numbers indicate. But Clowney is a ticking time bomb with his knees. He has reduced his game count and sack count significantly in a year and it could be that he has got old. 

Time and age can come all of a sudden in the NFL.

It seems we cut Landry at the exact right time. He is cooked.

Clowney is pretty good. He doesn’t get bulk stats, but he sets a strong edge and gets pressures.

There are about 10 starters on the team that are more of an issue than Clowney is. I’m not at all opposed to letting him walk, but replacing him with a similarly good player isn’t going to just be simple. Also, I think Clowney does play hard. He does the dirty work in the run game and seems to give maximum effort when he’s in there. 

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Clowney is pretty good. He doesn’t get bulk stats, but he sets a strong edge and gets pressures.

There are about 10 starters on the team that are more of an issue than Clowney is. I’m not at all opposed to letting him walk, but replacing him with a similarly good player isn’t going to just be simple. Also, I think Clowney does play hard. He does the dirty work in the run game and seems to give maximum effort when he’s in there. 

His play isn’t his biggest issue in a vacuum.  It’s his play paired with his cost paired with his availability paired with his lack of intensity imo.

The last part is a minor issue for sure, I don’t think you need to be overly intense to play hard, but we seem to have a need for some dudes who lead verbally/more outwardly and if we’re gonna pay a guy 10 million a year as a vet bridge at a position I’m gonna want at least some leadership paired with production.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The only argument for clowney I believe is legitimate: Letting him walk just opens another hole. Are you 100% confident you can replace him?

In my opinion, him not being available has been a constant hole, so letting him walk is the same as his availability this year while saving a lot of money that can be used on someone else more reliable and less injury prone.

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The only argument for clowney I believe is legitimate: Letting him walk just opens another hole. Are you 100% confident you can replace him?

Back to my original point, what are we replacing?  Production wise it’s not much. Intangibles, run fits, whatever…. maybe?  Idk.  He’s made a handful of plays all season.  Doesn’t seem irreplaceable with either of the rookies.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Back to my original point, what are we replacing?  Production wise it’s not much. Intangibles, run fits, whatever…. maybe?  Idk.  He’s made a handful of plays all season.  Doesn’t seem irreplaceable with either of the rookies.

And maybe we'll have to innovate to create pressure instead of assuming we have some stud who can create that by themselves every game. 🤔

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s considered an upgrade? What is the stat production you’re seeking?