Goodbye Franco

SteelersFan2333

Condolences from a lifelong Dawg Pound member to the Harris family - and to you SteelersFan2333. Very rough day.

I go back far enough to have seen the bulk of the Browns Steelers games starting in the early to mid 70s. Needless to say, i am a Northeast Ohio native. (Akron). Funny twist of fate - upon high school graduation in 1976, I then enrolled at Triangle Tech (School of mechanical drafting and design). It was located at the time on Smithfield Street downtown, just a few doors up from Gimbel's IIRC.

I worked at Petrone's restaurant through school. Little did I know one night, this mountain of a man walks through our front door. I had to do a double take - my God, that's Franco Harris! Turns out he was good friends with the owner of the restaurant Tony Petrone. In the few short conversations I had with Franco, he struck me (being a young, dumb and not even wet behind the ears yet kid) as a gentle giant - completely different to what I saw on the field.

In this day and age 72 is far too young to pass. May He rest in Peace.

• Like 5