Week 16 Thread: (7-6-1) Commanders vs (10-4) 49ers - 4:05 PM CBS

MikeT14

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes, he was very good his rookie year. 

I think he was below mediocre last year because he was undisciplined and glory hunting. 

We have, I think, until this coming May before we have to commit to his 5th year (have to do it after the 3rd year). My bet is that we will commit to it. But that's not a lot of time to decide if the guy is going to be THE guy for the next 10 years. If it were me, I'd keep him. I think he has great talent and makes a lot of plays. But his poor play last year and missing almost all of this year, really hasn't given us much to work on before we commit to the 5th year option. I've soured on him, but not because of his injury. It is what it is and I can't blame a guy especially with that type of injury. I'm just speaking current issues and the current issue is that we really haven't seen enough of him to know if he is going to be that "generational talent". What I've seen so far says no. Instead I think he's a Pro Bowl type of player (not every year though) that can man that position for a long time. I just want to pump the brakes on the GT hype given what I've watched Bosa do this year (and in past years)

the ceiling is there, but we’ve also seen the floor.  No way is he an extension candidate after this year, but he is definitely worth picking up the 5th year option. 

• Like 2

I am shocked at Rivera's decision on those 4th downs against the best defense in the nfl.

I think going to Wentz is a mistake.  Wentz showed his arm and moved the ball a bit after the game was over but also should have thrown one INT in a short period of time.  I thought Heinicke was pretty good considering.   Rivera bet the season on Wentz with trade and investment.  Just imagine if we spent half that money on the oline.  When it went wrong, Heinicke dug Rivera out of the hole he dug.  Rivera is now doubling down betting on Wentz again.  It better pay off or Rivera should definitely lose his job.  I would much rather go down swinging with Heinicke at this point.  

Maybe I am just down on him, but Turner doesn't feel the game.  He seems like he always comes with a plan before the game and doesn't adjust ever.  

The defense continues to look good but also continues to give up some big plays.  

Nice to see Chase play.  He looked decent enough, not gonna expect much after so much time off.  So weird that he can all of the sudden be full go.  Could have used him the last couple weeks.  I hope he continues.

I know we are still in it, but Rivera better damn sure be right.   We are out of chances now.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Gotta draft a OG/OT type in round 1 & a C in round 2 or w/ our 3rd round comp pick from losing Scherff in FA.

If Rivera is back & I have to imagine he will be bc I don’t see us having a new owner by February, Leno is going to be our starting LT w/ Norwell at LG. 

It remains to be seen if Roullier will be retained to try to stay healthy at C again or if they’ll move on there.

Cosmi will be either our starting RG or RT. So, we’re at most looking at two starting OL next year & maybe just 1, whichever position Cosmi doesn’t ply on the right side.

Back ups returning are going to be Shaadiq Charles as a back up G/T, Lucas as the 3rd OT & maybe Rivera brings back Turner to be a back up. 

I think it will play out that our rookie first rounder will be our starting RT or RGdepending who we draft. Then, Cosmi will start at RG or RT.

Possible 2022 C’s OL:

LT: Leno, Lucas

LG: Nowell, Charles

C : Roullier, Olusegun Oluwatimi (3rd rnd Michigan)

RG: Cosmi, Trai Turner 

RT: Broderick Jones, OT Georgia (R1)

I think Leno is gone he’s been getting worst and abused . I thought corner would be our first pick but I’m leaning it to be maybe a left tackle , and we will likely trade back as usual.

Brady or howell will Be the qb next year. 

3 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

TH should not start again for us idc what happens from here and now I rather just roll with SH or CW. 1-2 turn overs are killing us and he isn’t even using his mobility like some of us thought .

Blaming Heinicke for the first turnover is just ridiculous. They kept leaving the tackles on an island with Bosa. They were actually doing the same to Logan Thomas earlier in the game before they realized how dumb that was. I’ll pin the one interception on Heinicke even though it looked like a miscommunication between Taylor and Robinson but fans beating him up for things basically out of his control is silly to me. 

Clamoring for Wentz is so weird to me. There was no potential playoffs if Wentz kept playing. This season was dead in the water with him starting. Honestly, it’s a slap in the face to Heinicke for Rivera to go back to Wentz. The dude basically saved his job but the allure of whatever Wentz once was years ago keeps drawing people in. It’s incredible. It’s like Jeff George all over again. 

Also Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays gang! You guys are the best 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Slateman said:

Cap limits are a figment of imagination 

But we may not have the ability to re-sign guys or sign guys w/o having an owner. This could be like 1999 when we couldn’t re-sign Trent Green bc there was no owner yet to approve the contract & Casserly couldn’t even get the franchise tag approved.

It just hit me with this like a few weeks ago or someone else mentioned it once, but the ownership issue is problematic for even re-signing Payne & Holcomb. We probably lose both in FA.

So, if it happens like I think it sadly may, Mathis will probably be our starting NT week 1. And we’ll have to draft a new MLB to start instead of Holcomb at MLB like Tommy Eichenberg in round 2 or I know people don’t want to hear it but Mayo is our starting MLB unless we sign someone in the summer after the ownership sale has gone through.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Blaming Heinicke for the first turnover is just ridiculous. They kept leaving the tackles on an island with Bosa. They were actually doing the same to Logan Thomas earlier in the game before they realized how dumb that was. I’ll pin the one interception on Heinicke even though it looked like a miscommunication between Taylor and Robinson but fans beating him up for things basically out of his control is silly to me. 

Clamoring for Wentz is so weird to me. There was no potential playoffs if Wentz kept playing. This season was dead in the water with him starting.

Honestly, it’s a slap in the face to Heinicke for Rivera to go back to Wentz. The dude basically saved his job but the allure of whatever Wentz once was years ago keeps drawing people in. It’s incredible. It’s like Jeff George all over again. 

We just have to see man, we don’t know. It is true that the entire team including the run game w/ Robinson getting healthy & D really started to play better in October & Heinicke was able to take advantage of that when Wentz didn’t get to.

If we have a similar gameplan that we had with Heinicke, I do think we have a potential to be a little better in the passing game w/ Wentz. So, maybe we’ll be similar to how we’ve been on offense but a little bit better in the passing game.

The bolded is definitely true & it’s a spot on point but well Never know what our record would be if Wentz didn’t get injuried. It’s very true that the D & run game basically carried us to our current record. 

The issue Heineke has had is the turnovers & he didn’t play well enough in both Giants games or yesterday for us to win. So the only shot that Rivera thinks they have to make the playoffs is if they go back to Wentz & he plays how he did for Tennessee. 

He may be right or he may be wrong. I guess we’re going to find out.

3 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

I think Leno is gone he’s been getting worst and abused . I thought corner would be our first pick but I’m leaning it to be maybe a left tackle , and we will likely trade back as usual.

Brady or howell will Be the qb next year. 

Gone for what? Who you gonna get? He’s still at worst an average starting LT in the league, you don’t just cut average to good LTs. No way he’s gone.

Even if we take an OT, it won’t be until around pick 20. Say we take Broderick Jones the OT from Georgia. He’ll start at RG or RT with Cosmi starting the other spot next year.

As much as I’d like Norwell to be gone, I don’t think Rivera will cut him. I think our starting left side will be the same next year.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve seen that Bs segment. They cherry picked a few plays in a few games and zeroed in on Chase. It’s a very small sample size of plays last year where Chase wasn’t giving 100% on those plays.

I’ve posted a dozen times the clips of Chase’s highlights from last year & he was very close to having around 10 sacks. He was very active, got a lot of pressure but our secondary was awful the first half of 2021, it was an easy pitch and catch for opposing receivers & our DL didn’t have time to get home.

To not acknowledge that means the dozen times I posted that video you chose not to watch it. On top of that Chase had 2 sacks taken away from him on bogus roughing the passer calls that went against him vs the Giants & Falcons.

I'm sorry Turtle but he wasn't "close to 10 sacks" last year. He just wasn't. I mean he was, but only if you count the types of plays in my video as "almost sacks" since he was close to the QB. It wasn't just those few plays. Those were examples of what I saw in other games (some of them I was at in person). He left open lanes for QBs to pass and also escape the pocket.

Yes, I remember one of the sacks taken away (I think the Giants one) which I thought was BS. 

Bottom line though even if we don't agree. 1 full year (good/great) + .5 year (mediocre/less than mediocre) + .25 year (games played back from injury)= not enough time to see if he's the long-term guy for the position before we go to extend him. I would've loved more time before we even decided on the 5th year option, but I want an extra year now to decide and to give him time to get back from this injury. Plus we have to decide by May IIRC. So we do the 5th year option and hope he shows up as even 75% of the player we thought we were getting pre-draft.

• Like 2

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I'm sorry Turtle but he wasn't "close to 10 sacks" last year. He just wasn't. I mean he was, but only if you count the types of plays in my video as "almost sacks" since he was close to the QB. It wasn't just those few plays. Those were examples of what I saw in other games (some of them I was at in person). He left open lanes for QBs to pass and also escape the pocket.

Yes, I remember one of the sacks taken away (I think the Giants one) which I thought was BS. 

Bottom line though even if we don't agree. 1 full year (good/great) + .5 year (mediocre/less than mediocre) + .25 year (games played back from injury)= not enough time to see if he's the long-term guy for the position before we go to extend him. I would've loved more time before we even decided on the 5th year option, but I want an extra year now to decide and to give him time to get back from this injury. Plus we have to decide by May IIRC. So we do the 5th year option and hope he shows up as even 75% of the player we thought we were getting pre-draft.

Two sacks were taken away. The Falcons sack on Matt Ryan & the sack on Daniel Jones.

That gets you to 3.5 sacks & then out of all those pressures w/ better coverage in the secondary a few of those end up being sacks if our secondary was playing like it is now & how it did the 2nd half of last year he gets a handful more so all in all it ends up being about 10 for the season at worst if our secondary actually plays well.

Giving Chase Young the 5th year option is a no brainer bc you don’t give up on a #2 pick bc in his 2nd year he got an injury & then couldn’t come back until late in 3rd year bc of the injury. That’s just malpractice as a front office if they didn’t give Chase the 5th year option of traded him at this point ar his lowest value.

Whether or not Chase earns a contract extension is entirely up to him & how he plays next year. I feel he’s going to prove he worth the contract. He looked good yesterday for a guy in his first game back after tearing his patella tendon - which ended Adam Carriker’s career - and tearing his ACL in the same knee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Gone for what? Who you gonna get? He’s still at worst an average starting LT in the league, you don’t just cut average to good LTs. No way he’s gone.

That’s literally exactly what happened and why we have Leno to start

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I agree and really we are just in a hard spot now with Young.  Difficult to not give him that 5th year option after seeing glimmers of greatness, but this isn't a great outcome for us at all.  We basically got one good year out of a #2 draft pick when cost basis was sensible and will now be paying premium.  This starts with the exorbitant cost of the 5th year option and then if we sign him long term it will be a crazy deal that requires him to be elite to be worth it.  Young needs to be consistently elite in order to be worth it.  It is a lose lose situation for everyone when expectations need to be that high for the math to work.  I would be open to trading him.  Of course, I would much rather keep guys like Young and pay up the nose for it than Wentz.

I will be a broken record and say that if we keep Young or Sweat at the expense of losing Payne I will be super disappointed.  Payne at worst was just good one year since he has been here, otherwise he has been flavors of very good to best in class at his position.  We need to reward production.  Not to mention he is young and durable.  Pretty sure if either him or Allen was injured we would all be trying to run JDR out of town because the entire defense would be horrible.

• Like 1