Week 16 Thread: (7-6-1) Commanders vs (10-4) 49ers - 4:05 PM CBS

MikeT14

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am shocked at Rivera's decision on those 4th downs against the best defense in the nfl.

I think going to Wentz is a mistake.  Wentz showed his arm and moved the ball a bit after the game was over but also should have thrown one INT in a short period of time.  I thought Heinicke was pretty good considering.   Rivera bet the season on Wentz with trade and investment.  Just imagine if we spent half that money on the oline.  When it went wrong, Heinicke dug Rivera out of the hole he dug.  Rivera is now doubling down betting on Wentz again.  It better pay off or Rivera should definitely lose his job.  I would much rather go down swinging with Heinicke at this point.  

Maybe I am just down on him, but Turner doesn't feel the game.  He seems like he always comes with a plan before the game and doesn't adjust ever.  

The defense continues to look good but also continues to give up some big plays.  

Nice to see Chase play.  He looked decent enough, not gonna expect much after so much time off.  So weird that he can all of the sudden be full go.  Could have used him the last couple weeks.  I hope he continues.

I know we are still in it, but Rivera better damn sure be right.   We are out of chances now.  

Truth GIF

I’m hopeful that Wentz can play how he played vs the Titans the last two weeks of the season & in the playoffs but I too am not sold going to Wentz is the right move behind this OL & for as inaccurate as Heinicke is, I think Wentz is more inaccurate short to intermediate & he doesn’t make quick decisions.

If Wentz can make quick decisions like he did the final 10 min of the 49ers game though, we will be good. I’m sold that happens, but hopeful it will happen. I’d be happy for Wentz if it did work out that way.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Blaming Heinicke for the first turnover is just ridiculous. They kept leaving the tackles on an island with Bosa. They were actually doing the same to Logan Thomas earlier in the game before they realized how dumb that was. I’ll pin the one interception on Heinicke even though it looked like a miscommunication between Taylor and Robinson but fans beating him up for things basically out of his control is silly to me. 

Clamoring for Wentz is so weird to me. There was no potential playoffs if Wentz kept playing. This season was dead in the water with him starting. Honestly, it’s a slap in the face to Heinicke for Rivera to go back to Wentz. The dude basically saved his job but the allure of whatever Wentz once was years ago keeps drawing people in. It’s incredible. It’s like Jeff George all over again. 

Also Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays gang! You guys are the best 

Merry Christmas Smile GIF by Freeform

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I agree and really we are just in a hard spot now with Young.  Difficult to not give him that 5th year option after seeing glimmers of greatness, but this isn't a great outcome for us at all.  We basically got one good year out of a #2 draft pick when cost basis was sensible and will now be paying premium.  This starts with the exorbitant cost of the 5th year option and then if we sign him long term it will be a crazy deal that requires him to be elite to be worth it.  Young needs to be consistently elite in order to be worth it.  It is a lose lose situation for everyone when expectations need to be that high for the math to work.  I would be open to trading him.  Of course, I would much rather keep guys like Young and pay up the nose for it than Wentz.

I will be a broken record and say that if we keep Young or Sweat at the expense of losing Payne I will be super disappointed.  Payne at worst was just good one year since he has been here, otherwise he has been flavors of very good to best in class at his position.  We need to reward production.  Not to mention he is young and durable.  Pretty sure if either him or Allen was injured we would all be trying to run JDR out of town because the entire defense would be horrible.

Not having an owner in place might mean we can’t keep Payne sadly, it remains to be seen.

I've heard a few times now about hoping Wentz plays like he did against Tennessee... didn't we only put up 17 points that game? And didn't he throw an interception at the 2 yard line? I would rather have the Wentz against Jacksonville week 1 that threw 4 TD's. Even if that means his 2 picks. 

Honestly I am not thrilled about the move, it's his intermediate passing and zero pocket awareness that scares me.

30 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I've heard a few times now about hoping Wentz plays like he did against Tennessee... didn't we only put up 17 points that game? And didn't he throw an interception at the 2 yard line? I would rather have the Wentz against Jacksonville week 1 that threw 4 TD's. Even if that means his 2 picks. 

Honestly I am not thrilled about the move, it's his intermediate passing and zero pocket awareness that scares me.

Meaning he is that efficient in the passing game. Remember we didn’t have a consistent running game then as it was BRob’s first game of the year. Our D wasn’t playing great yet.

The hope is that we rush 30-40 times for 120 plus yards with a TD or 2 combined from BRob & Gibby.

Then, Wentz throws it 30 times & he throws for 250-350 yds with a TD or 2.

Thats our potential as an offense w/ Wentz as long as he gets rid of the ball quicker & gets decent protection/doesn’t take bad sacks which has been his bugaboo since 2020 & if those things happen it could derail what could be an explosive offense.

Edited by turtle28

Pretty much what I saw. Everyone knows how I feel about Chase so I was watching him closely. He was giving Trent fits and manhandled him on more than a few plays. One play he just destroyed Trent and nearly walked him back into Purdy. Another 49er came over to help Trent. Chase is a monster. The sacks will come. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Pretty much what I saw. Everyone knows how I feel about Chase so I was watching him closely. He was giving Trent fits and manhandled him on more than a few plays. One play he just destroyed Trent and nearly walked him back into Purdy. Another 49er came over to help Trent. Chase is a monster. The sacks will come. 

Me Too Samesies GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Good stuff Turtle. I too - thought he looked nice, made me put fist in mouth.... wanna see what he's got next couple weeks. I really wanna see him turn this D into something nasty.

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to them being full strength again next year w/ a CB upgrade in the slot. I sure hope they can retain Payne & Holcomb as free agents.