GDT - Week 16 - The Bengals come to town.

Iron_man

3 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Expect Dre to lose carries after this game.

Strong has better hands than I expected.. using these next two games to give him that passing back role would be good. They need to see if he can fit into the James White role.. otherwise they need to hope Montgomery is healthy/ draft another pass catcher

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

Strong has better hands than I expected.. using these next two games to give him that passing back role would be good. They need to see if he can fit into the James White role.. otherwise they need to hope Montgomery is healthy/ draft another pass catcher

thats so low on the priority list. Rhamondre can catch passes just fine

20 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

thats so low on the priority list. Rhamondre can catch passes just fine

Idk, I feel like not having James White has really hurt them. It's awesome that Stevenson has made improvements as a pass catcher, but it's made him an all around back.. not necessarily a James White replacement. James White / Shane Vareen / Kevin Faulk ... those guys were all agility and quickness .. they could take a screen to the house.. they would run routes like a WR. Now that I think of it, I'd even bring in Lynn Bowden.. try to turn him into that role and see if he can handle it. That James White role was basically always a RB who could be a straight up WR. I don't think Stevenson will do that and most importantly they shouldn't want him to do that. If you are using him 80%+ of the time you're going to run him into the ground. 

Being low on the priority list.. I agree though.. they have a huge number of issues but that role is important going forward imo. 

- Mac is top priority, if you can go into the off season with some confidence that he can turn things around that is huge

- Keep focusing on Kendrick Bourne.. let him go into the off season knowing he can be a focal point of the offense and not feeling like the team hates him. Especially with Meyers potentially gone, they need at least one WR they can trust going into next year

I'm still baffled by Bourne not playing... you really pick Agholor over him!? He was my favorite receiver on the team last year and he's honestly my favorite this year on the few snaps he has played. Whenever he gets the ball in his hands he makes plays.. and he makes difficult catches too. He's a baller and he needs to play ( not that we haven't been saying this all season)

Edited by Crimmage

The best thing that could happen to Bourne here is Meyers not getting resigned. He instantly would become Mac's most comfortable target and he would be extensively featured next season. 

Anyone else also notice Mac's unnecessary cut block? I love his passion but things like that are borderline dirty plays. Hate that he's getting a reputation around the league as a dirty player. He hasn't been helping his case much.. i'm sure the coaching staff doesn't like that stuff. Between flipping out on the field at the coaches and some plays like that.. it makes him look like an immature player. Maturity and leadership are everything to the QB position, if your teammates think you're a dirty player you aren't going to be the starter for long. 

Fingers crossed that Mac has two games to end the season and the coaching staff goes into the offseason without any doubt that he is the starter for next season. If he has another Raiders game.. yikes.. he could end up being traded to the Raiders for a 2nd or something in the offseason and we have to experience rookie QB life all over again...

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Fingers crossed that Mac has two games to end the season and the coaching staff goes into the offseason without any doubt that he is the starter for next season. If he has another Raiders game.. yikes.. he could end up being traded to the Raiders for a 2nd or something in the offseason and we have to experience rookie QB life all over again...

Honestly if Mac were to be traded or just flat out stink the rest of the way, I'd expect Bill to go after Jimmy G in free agency. Trying to start over and develop another qb during the short time he's got left would be surprising.

12 minutes ago, Vachon777 said:

Honestly if Mac were to be traded or just flat out stink the rest of the way, I'd expect Bill to go after Jimmy G in free agency. Trying to start over and develop another qb during the short time he's got left would be surprising.

Maybe.. but at that point you might as well just play Zappe. Jimmy is only going to give you half the season anyway, he's always injured. If you're going to pay him 15-20 million I think i'd rather just put that money into the rest of the team and run out Mac/Zappe. Jimmy with MattyP as the OC would be worse than Mac, I fully believe that.. I'm not a believer in JimmyG

What I can 100% see is Josh trading a 2nd round pick or even a 2nd and future conditional pick for Mac. Carr isn't the answer and Josh has a great relationship with Mac. Just based off what they did together last year.. if Mac is the QB in Vegas this year, they probably have 2-3 more wins. I fully believe Ziegler is going to call Groh/BB this offseason to make an offer for Mac, it's going to happen .. it's just a matter of how good the offer will be. BB could like Mac but not love him or think he's better than Zappe but not 1st round pick better than Zappe. Mac and Zappe both need a very talented offense around them to be successful.. Raiders are loaded on offense, Mac would do great there. Patriots have no coaches and lack weapons so getting that 1st round pick to put into a WR could be seen as a step forward to BB.

Mac > Zappe .. but is Zappe + Jaxon Smith-Njigba > Mac ... that's the ultimate question in that scenario 

If it weren't for BB nearing the end of his career I would say to trade Mac if you get a good offer and draft Anthony Richardson. He is a massive boom/bust player, but if you develop your offense around him and sit him for 1-2 years I think he could be amazing. Problem is BB isn't going to want to wait and isn't going to put all his resources around the offense to put him in a position to succeed.... so he would probably be a bust here.