Elgton Jenkins Gets Paid (4 years, $68M)

Striker

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're taking crazy pills today?

Yanda was unquestionably better.

I would hesitate to even try to muster an argument against a prime Carl Nicks or Josh Sitton.  

Assuming you're a man who values those pure drive skills highly, I have a hard time making the argument over Jahri Evans or Mike Iupati. 

And that all depends on us not including the overlap for guys like Faneca, Hutchinson, and Waters.

I don't know, Mankins was damned good. I can't put Sitton in the same category as Faneca and Hutchinson or Mankins tbh. What you are actually doing is re-enforcing my statement regarding Jenkins. 

Edited by Old Guy

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't know, Mankins was damned good. I can't put Sitton in the same category as Faneca and Hutchinson or Mankins tbh. What you are actually doing is re-enforcing my statement regarding Jenkins. 

Logan Mankins is the second most overrated player of the 00s (nobody stood a chance against Jason Witten).

Putting Mankins in the same conversation as Faneca and Hutchinson is laughable. You're talking about a guy who has one first team all pro (A selection that was blatantly stolen from Sitton in 2010) vs. guys who have 6 and 5 respectably. 

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Logan Mankins is the second most overrated player of the 00s (nobody stood a chance against Jason Witten).

Putting Mankins in the same conversation as Faneca and Hutchinson is laughable. You're talking about a guy who has one first team all pro (A selection that was blatantly stolen from Sitton in 2010) vs. guys who have 6 and 5 respectably. 

I didn't put him in the same conversation you did. Comparing those two at the end of their careers vs. him in the beginning is different that all being in their prime. 

You are way underestimating him and have moved the overall point of the conversation in another direction.

The point is, you don't pay non-premium positions with big contracts. 

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I didn't put him in the same conversation you did. Comparing those two at the end of their careers vs. him in the beginning is different that all being in their prime. 

You are way underestimating him and have moved the overall point of the conversation in another direction.

The point is, you don't pay non-premium positions with big contracts. 

The contract looks big in today's cap world.  Will it look big in 3 years?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The contract looks big in today's cap world.  Will it look big in 3 years?

What is the difference? He's had one major injury and you made him the second highest paid at guard in the league. You shouldn't give premium contracts to non-premium positions.

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What is the difference? He's had one major injury and you made him the second highest paid at guard in the league. You shouldn't give premium contracts to non-premium positions.

That’s the point though- he can cover for you at LT or RT (premium positions) in the event the young guys (Tom, Nijman) don’t develop into starters.  

Also, once they cut Bak loose, they will have 4 players starting on the line on rookie deals (or rookie equivalents).  This is a smart deal to make for GB.

Edited by Cpdaly23

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Oh my, cherry picking city! Not a great job of it either. 

First of all, their dynasty has been 20 years and they had a hell of a lot more than 3 interior 0-linemen during that time. Secondly, I never said DON'T re-sign interior offensive linemen, I said, don't give them top of the food chain contracts. 

Last year they lost Ted Karras their starting center to free agency. The year before that they lost JOE THUNEY, 80 million for 5 years. They have the 4th most comp picks in history. 

Stephan Neal, the guy they cut and then re-signed to the practice squad and made no pro-bowls or all-pro mentions. He did not get a top of the food chain contract. 

Dan Koppen, another guy who only made one-pro-bowl got a 2-year extension and was not paid near the top of the food chain for interior offensive linemen. 

Login Mankins was a stud, best guard of his era. He sat out 2010 because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted. They eventually caved and made him the top paid guard in the NFL. They traded him in 2014 when the big numbers on his contract were due. IN other words, they realized they made a mistake giving an interior offensive lineman a big contract and rectified the situation. 

They learned from their one mistake and let Thuney walk after franchising him for a year. 

The current Pats paid David Andrews and Shaq Mason, so 5 of the 6 IOL that were good for them from the SB teams got contract extensions, just take your L and move on. 

Jenkins was a top 10 graded LT before tearing his ACL per PFF. His footwork on the right side wasn't as sound, but you're asking him without an offseason to train to switch sides, I'm sure if we let Nijman walk and told him all off season to train as a RT, he'd be a top 10 RT by camp. Not to mention he's the best center on the team, and he doesn't play center.

5 position versatility, along with being an elite LG. You don't let that walk. I'm glad the Packers do what's smart and not try to imitate a franchise with a GOAT coach and the only QB that took massive discounts at the peak of his career. That strategy has worked soooo well for everyone who's plucked from the BB tree in the FO or coaching staff.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So if you have a premium position but a middling player you give him a premium contract, but a premium player at ...what you feel is... a non-premium position you don't re-sign them?

Keep your players that are/ have shown to be high grade talent 

• Like 2

This thread is a good example of how it really doesn't matter what happens when it comes to new contracts for current players.  There will always be some fans arguing that the team overpaid. 

Next week GB could extend Lazard on a 3-year deal at ~6M/YR and there would be posts in here arguing that GB overpaid.

• Like 1

Also when it comes to New England, since the TT era started in 2005, they've had 15 first round picks, 7 of those 15 have been used on non-premiums (WR, RB, OG, ILB) versus 1 for the Packers (Quay). 

I'd much rather use $$$ capital than draft capital when it comes to the non-premiums positions. Take your shots on skillsets in rounds 2-7 and if they hit, pay them. Keep drafting the premiums in round 1.

The whole thing is just a poor argument. Joe Thuney has stabilized a terrible KC OL. They've been one play away from a SB and are now fighting for the 1 seed with him onboard. The Pats just had to use a round 1 pick on a OG from Chattanooga to try and replace him. They're sure better off with that decision!!!

Pay elite players, doesn't matter where they play. It's the "good" players at the non-premiums you let test the market, as your odds in the draft of replacing a good level player are solid, they're slim as an elite player.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The current Pats paid David Andrews and Shaq Mason, so 5 of the 6 IOL that were good for them from the SB teams got contract extensions, just take your L and move on. 

Jenkins was a top 10 graded LT before tearing his ACL per PFF. His footwork on the right side wasn't as sound, but you're asking him without an offseason to train to switch sides, I'm sure if we let Nijman walk and told him all off season to train as a RT, he'd be a top 10 RT by camp. Not to mention he's the best center on the team, and he doesn't play center.

5 position versatility, along with being an elite LG. You don't let that walk. I'm glad the Packers do what's smart and not try to imitate a franchise with a GOAT coach and the only QB that took massive discounts at the peak of his career. That strategy has worked soooo well for everyone who's plucked from the BB tree in the FO or coaching staff.

He doesn't have 5 position versatility. 

I'm not changing my mind so we can agree to disagree. You be glad we are overpaying a non-premium position. I'll think otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

That’s the point though- he can cover for you at LT or RT (premium positions) in the event the young guys (Tom, Nijman) don’t develop into starters.  

Also, once they cut Bak loose, they will have 4 players starting on the line on rookie deals (or rookie equivalents).  This is a smart deal to make for GB.

No it isn't. 

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

So if you have a premium position but a middling player you give him a premium contract, but a premium player at ...what you feel is... a non-premium position you don't re-sign them?

Keep your players that are/ have shown to be high grade talent 

I never said this either you are trying, unsuccessfully, to put words in my mouth. 

You can, and we have, found good interior offensive linemen by letting guys walk. Corey Linsley 2 years ago. He was considered to be in the top 2 or 3 centers in the league. We not only survived last year, but we also thrived.