Elgton Jenkins Gets Paid (4 years, $68M)

Striker

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You can, and we have, found good interior offensive linemen by letting guys walk. Corey Linsley 2 years ago. He was considered to be in the top 2 or 3 centers in the league. We not only survived last year, but we also thrived. 

In part due to the player you are discounting the positional versatility...but are now trumpeting as being valuable in replacing players!!

Edited by squire12

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I never said this either you are trying, unsuccessfully, to put words in my mouth. 

You can, and we have, found good interior offensive linemen by letting guys walk. Corey Linsley 2 years ago. He was considered to be in the top 2 or 3 centers in the league. We not only survived last year, but we also thrived. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2751651-corey-linsley-packers-agree-to-3-year-255-million-contract-extension.amp.html

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

In part due to the player you are discounting the positional versatility...but are now trumpeting as being valuable in replacing players!!

I love Elgton Jenkins. He's a hell of a football player. I just don't believe in paying interior offensive lineman at the top of the food chain. 

You pay quarterbacks, OT's, pass rushers to include DT's, and CBs. You get by with the rest the best you can. 

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I love Elgton Jenkins. He's a hell of a football player. I just don't believe in paying interior offensive lineman at the top of the food chain. 

You pay quarterbacks, OT's, pass rushers to include DT's, and CBs. You get by with the rest the best you can. 

lets see how the contract is structured.

Were you against the Sitton, Lang, Linsley signings?

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Am I missing something but isn't $24m signing bonus spread over 5 years a freakin' bargain!!!!

Without seeing the breakdown, my guess is the rest of the money is there only if the dude carries on playing well.

need to see the structure and where the different pieces line up.  

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Am I missing something but isn't $24m signing bonus spread over 5 years a freakin' bargain!!!!

Without seeing the breakdown, my guess is the rest of the money is there only if the dude carries on playing well.

I mean it's pretty on par for course.  Quenton Nelson ($20M/year) got $31M spread over 5 years, Brandon Schereff ($16.5M/year) got $15M spread over 3 years, Joel Bitonio ($16M/year) got $10.5M over 3 years, and Joe Thuney ($16M/year) got $17M spread over 5 years.  He wasn't getting Nelson-level of money, but he was going to be a well compensated OG.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

need to see the structure and where the different pieces line up.  

It's hard to see how next year is near minimum salary plus the usual workout bonus Green Bay likes trying to their extensions.  Beyond that is up for debate.  Do they go with a sizeable jump in Y3 with more modest increases in Y4 and Y5 or do they have a more unhealthy contract.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's hard to see how next year is near minimum salary plus the usual workout bonus Green Bay likes trying to their extensions.  Beyond that is up for debate.  Do they go with a sizeable jump in Y3 with more modest increases in Y4 and Y5 or do they have a more unhealthy contract.

Yeah.  How much is guaranteed beyond the signing bonus and how easily money can be moved/ pushed out in the later years.  

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yeah.  How much is guaranteed beyond the signing bonus and how easily money can be moved/ pushed out in the later years.  

Green Bay has historically not guaranteed much outside of the signing bonus.  Going over some of the last major FA re-signings.

Kenny Clark: $25M signing bonus, $27.69M GTD
Jaire Alexander: $30M signing bonus, $30M GTD
De'Vondre Campbell: $15M signing bonus, $15M GTD
Aaron Jones: $13M signing bonus, $13M GTD
Preston Smith: $12.2M signing bonus, $12.2M GTD

The Packers have historically not given much in the way of guaranteed money beyond the signing bonus, so I can't imagine that changes much.  You've got the signing bonus, plus probably his minimum salary next year ($1.08M).  I'd be surprised if his '23 cap hit is much more north of $6.4M.  The only question is that second year of the four year deal.  They'd incur nearly $14.4M in dead cap if they released him after next year, which is probably enough of a stumbling block to releasing him.  I'd guess his base salary in 2024 jumps to somewhere in the $6M-$8M range.  That would put Y3 and Y4 base salaries at nearly $37M combined, but that'd almost certainly force some sort of restructure or extension at that point.  IF they make it a healthier ~$12M base salary in 2024, then the combined base salaries for 2025 and 2026 would be a combined $31M so you're talking about a healthier contract.  My guess is it's probably closer to the former given the cap projections coming up.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Green Bay has historically not guaranteed much outside of the signing bonus.  Going over some of the last major FA re-signings.

Kenny Clark: $25M signing bonus, $27.69M GTD
Jaire Alexander: $30M signing bonus, $30M GTD
De'Vondre Campbell: $15M signing bonus, $15M GTD
Aaron Jones: $13M signing bonus, $13M GTD
Preston Smith: $12.2M signing bonus, $12.2M GTD

The Packers have historically not given much in the way of guaranteed money beyond the signing bonus, so I can't imagine that changes much.  You've got the signing bonus, plus probably his minimum salary next year ($1.08M).  I'd be surprised if his '23 cap hit is much more north of $6.4M.  The only question is that second year of the four year deal.  They'd incur nearly $14.4M in dead cap if they released him after next year, which is probably enough of a stumbling block to releasing him.  I'd guess his base salary in 2024 jumps to somewhere in the $6M-$8M range.  That would put Y3 and Y4 base salaries at nearly $37M combined, but that'd almost certainly force some sort of restructure or extension at that point.  IF they make it a healthier ~$12M base salary in 2024, then the combined base salaries for 2025 and 2026 would be a combined $31M so you're talking about a healthier contract.  My guess is it's probably closer to the former given the cap projections coming up.

Alexander has $11.45M of his roster bonus due on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year.  That likely gets converted to SB.  So not guaranteed at signing, but essentially a guaranteed amount as it would cost GB more to cut him.

That's the structure I'm interested in seeing