Kevin Stefanski

BetterCallSaul

Does Stefanski stay or go?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I understand that there were plays left on the field that were the players fault, but Stefanski did not have his A game calling plays today.  It seems that he really, really wants to pass the ball, when this team is, and should be, a run first offense.  I can't get on board with firing him YET, but his seat should be very hot.

I don’t disagree. I think sometimes coaches get caught up in the “what do I have with my quarterback” mindset during live games, and I think he’s trying to figure that out headed into the offseason. Way too much shotgun IMO.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don’t disagree. I think sometimes coaches get caught up in the “what do I have with my quarterback” mindset during live games, and I think he’s trying to figure that out headed into the offseason. Way too much shotgun IMO.

3rd and less than 1....let's try a fullback dive/counter to Hunt...slow developing play that got you negative yards.  You have 2 capable QB's that can sneak a first down in that situation

The second last offensive drive, he throws the ball twice on 3rd and 2, and 4th and 2 in their own territory.  He's lucky the game wasn't over right there.  If you knew you were going for it, then why not run the ball twice, with the best RB in football?  (not sure if I remember correctly, but I don't think Chubb was even on the field)

Let's not pretend like Kevin is some play calling guru, and yet most would say that is the thing he has most going for him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

He’s blindly loyal to terrible assistant coaches and coordinators and does nothing to stick up for players who are struggling. he’s a hypocrite

Players clearly don’t like him or play hard

nobody has particularly developed or improved over the years

teams flat, everyone’s miserable

A head coaches key responsibilities:

assembling a good staff: D grade

Weekly prep: C grade

play-calling: B grade

Development: C grade

Motivating: D grade

leadership: D grade

learning from mistakes: F grade

In game adjustments: C grade 

scheme: B grade

So fire Joe Woods?

• Like 1

He should be fired in my opinion.  He won’t be obviously.  

he is an offensive coordinator not head coach.  I think he is good at scheming up offenses to attack teams.  But the head coach is in charge of all and that is where I have i problems.  The defense for most of the yr is lost.  Special teams has been atrocious.  That ultimately comes back on the top guy. 

We have had like 21 out of 24 seasons with a losing record.  We get rid of all of the others.  Get rid of him. 

12 minutes ago, Powertower said:

He should be fired in my opinion.  He won’t be obviously.  

he is an offensive coordinator not head coach.  I think he is good at scheming up offenses to attack teams.  But the head coach is in charge of all and that is where I have i problems.  The defense for most of the yr is lost.  Special teams has been atrocious.  That ultimately comes back on the top guy. 

We have had like 21 out of 24 seasons with a losing record.  We get rid of all of the others.  Get rid of him. 

If he doesn't get rid of those coordinators I'd agree with you.

Woods was underwhelming year one but we lacked talent on defense so he got a pass. Year two he had the excuse that we had a ton of new pieces on defense so it could take time for them to adjust. Towards the end of the year the defense played well, but I wasn't sold on Woods. I viewed our success on defense as being that our talent outweighed the talent on the poor offenses we faced and not being a result of anything great Woods was doing schematically.

This year he's had no excuse and our defense has sucked minus a few games (largely against bad offenses minus the first Bengals game and to a lesser extent the TB game).

As for Priefer, Stefanski inherited him when Priefer was competent in 2019. Since then, ST has gotten worse and worse.

I don't think Stefanski will be reluctant to let go of Priefer. I am worried he won't want to let go of Woods, which I'll have a huge problem with if that proves to be the case.

• Like 1

I’d give Stef another year if the following things happen:

1. He gives up play calling. 

2. Woods and Priefer are fired. 

Think it’s pretty clear that the guy is way too invested in the offense to the degree of success the team has achieved.

Prove he can be a CEO type head coach or the Haslams should pay somebody like Kellen Moore to be the HC/OC/QB whisperer type and surround him with proven coordinators. 

3 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

He could have done that 2 years ago. Doing it two years too late isn’t a good thing 

Year one Woods had the excuse of poor personnel.

Last year the defense was playing well by the end of the season. That didn't convince me that Woods was a good DC, but I knew he wouldn't be fired even though I 100% would have been fine with it.

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Year one, adjustments. Year two further adjustments. Year three, you didn’t adjust your *** is gone. 

So fire Joe Woods?  Amiright?

Actually I misspoke, year two should be make further adjustments, start off slow, get better as the year unfolds. Year three start off slow, ruin the season, get better as the season matures, **** you Joe Woods your *** should be fired. 

But again the obvious bottom line is:

Fire Joe Woods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We could wait for Tennessee to do something stupid and fire Mike Vrabel who wins with absolute dog crap over there.

He’d fix the culture day 1 and get actual smart players on the team.

I mean, he’s a top 5 nfl HC.  He’d definitely have his pick of jobs and I’d gladly have him.

As you said, he wins consistently with absolute nobodies.

The only point worth mentioning is he won’t be coaching against the AFC South for 6/17 games if he goes elsewhere.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the team is the lack of accountability. I see the players more upset/engaged then the coaches during the games and the players weren't always in the right. I don't see anyone getting yelled at, benched, called out or anything. I'm not calling for drama, but it's hard to be invested when I just feel like the players and coaches going through the motions.

How was Woods/Pfiefer not fired mid-season is beyond me. We had a top offense in the beginning of the season, but how did no one see the issue? We had a backup QB help lead a top offense and our defense/ST was literally costing us games. Yet, Stefanski just let it roll. It seems the culture is more about being friendly/family then anything. Which is great, but at some point, they need to realize that their job is to win games. Outside of personnel changes, what has changed over the years? The "smart, tough, accountable" is nothing more than a motto by the nerds. No one seems to be enforcing it.

Think about this, we are below the Steelers (last yet again in the division). The Steelers who are year 1 of the post Big Ben era. The Steelers who started M. Tribusky at the start of the season. The Steelers who lost Watt for most of the season. We are also below the Ravens who are vastly underperforming from their usual standards due to key players being injured most season. Every year, we need to be competing with Tomlin/Harbaugh and now looking like Taylor as well. Do you feel comfortable with Stefanski going against them twice a year? At this moment, I do not. 

• Like 3