Kevin Stefanski

BetterCallSaul

Does Stefanski stay or go?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

We could have used 3 first round picks and the 55 million per year in cap and improved as a franchise unless you have a monkey guiding your ship.

well, kinda. 

Unless we were gonna pay Baker for another season.  In that case we’d either have to reach a long term deal with him which is gonna eat up a whole lot of that cap space.  Unless we franchised him which would eat up even more probably.

Of course we could have just moved on from Baker and signed a free agent QB.  They probably wouldn’t have been cheap or terribly good.

So now we’re back to drafting a new guy.  Who’s that guy gonna be?  Stroud?  Young?  Maybe.  Are we gonna stay at our pick and get them though?  Or do we have to move up and package some of those picks? Based on the Lance trade that might have burned though all of those picks right there.  Of course we could just wait back and let the board fall as it will and we could draft a guy. 

Then you just have to hope they’re not one of the majority of drafted QB’s who end up a bust.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

For the trade to be successful you have to do better than what would be expected with what was given up for the player and what was spent on the player.

Absolutely, but I don’t think the other options were a guarantee of any success.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why? We have one of the highest paid offensive lines. A stud DE. Great CBs. a $20 million WR. A top paid TE. The best RB in football. There is no reason we have to throw for 400 yards per game to win.

It’s not about the per game averages, it’s about needing a guy who can go out and win a game with his arm when that other stuff just isn’t working.

Having a guy who can make the wow plays that are nearly impossible for defenses to guard every now and then.  

Having all those things and a mediocre QB gets you a .500 ish record most of the time.  Sure you may fluke into something here and there, but if you wanna consistently win you’d better have a pretty damned good QB.  I’m not sure who the team that’s the exception to that rule would be?

• Like 1

Really it’s the fact that no one wanted to give up those picks for a possible sexual predator in this conversation. Biggest reason we are arguing this trade and the picks given up. It’s not his talent going into the season. Except Mike, not many argue he’s not a top 5-8 QB in the league before last year.  Let’s see how it works.  This year didn’t prove anything other than we lost games early with bad defensive coaching. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

Really it’s the fact that no one wanted to give up those picks for a possible sexual predator in this conversation. Biggest reason we are arguing this trade and the picks given up. It’s not his talent going into the season. Except Mike, not many argue he’s not a top 5-8 QB in the league before last year.  Let’s see how it works.  This year didn’t prove anything other than we lost games early with bad defensive coaching. 

This.

Everyone considers this a great trade if it weren't for Watson's off the field behavior.

... Well, maybe everyone besides the most ardent Baker supporters (and I liked and still like Baker).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDD said:

And those guys just don't fall out of trees....  you have to give up plenty in assets, and money to get that guy.  Is it possible he regresses?  Possibly!!!  It would be the Brownsiest thing to happen!!!!....but there were other QB needy teams who were ready to line up and take their chances, regardless of the situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

This.

Everyone considers this a great trade if it weren't for Watson's off the field behavior.

... Well, maybe everyone besides the most ardent Baker supporters (and I liked and still like Baker).

You can still be a Baker supporter and realize Watson is a better player. Saying otherwise is simply delusional. (Not referring to you specifically or anything)

But yeah, people don’t like that he’s a disgusting human.  I’m one of them.  I wished they’d have looked elsewhere, tried something else.  Might not have been a better football move, but at least I’m not watching a rapist every Sunday.  But that ship has sailed.

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

And those guys just don't fall out of trees....  you have to give up plenty in assets, and money to get that guy.  Is it possible he regresses?  Possibly!!!  It would be the Brownsiest thing to happen!!!!....but there were other QB needy teams who were ready to line up and take their chances, regardless of the situation.

Still kinda annoys me that some people act like the Browns are some uniquely evil franchise for trading for Watson. As if half the league wasn't at least somewhat interested in him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

14 teams called.  Multiple were reportedly ready to make offers similar to ours as far as draft compensation.

As far as the cash being fully guaranteed idgaf.  We’re not gonna cut bait for at least 3 seasons anyway and at that point if the whole thing is in shambles just blow the whole thing up and start over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Still kinda annoys me that some people act like the Browns are some uniquely evil franchise for trading for Watson. As if half the league wasn't at least somewhat interested in him.

The only teams that didn’t kick the tires were teams with established QBs or newly drafted rookies.

You can accept all of it and not care or you can accept the entire league is filled with gross folks from the owners on down and enjoy the game, but you can’t act as thought this franchise is inherently any worse than any other.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You can still be a Baker supporter and realize Watson is a better player. Saying otherwise is simply delusional. (Not referring to you specifically or anything)

But yeah, people don’t like that he’s a disgusting human.  I’m one of them.  I wished they’d have looked elsewhere, tried something else.  Might not have been a better football move, but at least I’m not watching a rapist every Sunday.  But that ship has sailed.

I would have preferred that they'd stuck with Baker, and assuming he proved he wasn't the answer, gone out and traded up for Young or Stroud. Problem is, it would require a team willing to trade down, along with giving up a ton of assets to acquire a QB who has proven nothing in the pros. That's why, from a pure football perspective, I totally get why the Browns made the trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I would have preferred that they'd stuck with Baker, and assuming he proved he wasn't the answer, gone out and traded up for Young or Stroud. Problem is, it would require a team willing to trade down, along with giving up a ton of assets to acquire a QB who has proven nothing in the pros. That's why, from a pure football perspective, I totally get why the Browns made the trade.

On field only it’s an easy decision, yeah.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

The idea of getting rid of Stephasnki is profoundly stupid

Yup. Unless a dude like Payton personally calls Haslam to tell him to hire him, we're way better off sticking with Stefanski. Definitely playoffs or bust for him next season, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The idea of getting rid of Stephasnki is profoundly stupid

I mean he has to take the next step as a HC. Make this team win in all three phases. Not just be a good offense with questions on defense and ST

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Yup. Unless a dude like Payton personally calls Haslam to tell him to hire him, we're way better off sticking with Stefanski. Definitely playoffs or bust for him next season, though.

It’s the same **** as at QB.  The grass ain’t always greener.

Everyone assumes the next guy will be the guy who always calls a perfect game, hires great coordinators and wins a fistful of rings, but they’re typically just some other goober like Mike Pettine or Freddie Kitchens. 

• Like 1