Week 17 Gameday Thread (New Years Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (7-8-0) vs Minnesota (12-3-0)

Striker

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

But also give them some credit because they also made their own breaks. As they say in the business world though, "it's not a sustainable model!" Ask Bankman.

Nope .. no credit.  They've been lucky as hell in a minimum 4 games where they were beat and presto .. they end up winning.  Their offense is good but when the Colts are up 33 points and lose there's luck involved.  Bankman sucks too.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Football really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

You absolutely can watch the games every week and get a feel for the capability of a given team.

I think anyone who's not wearing purple and gold glasses can watch the Vikings every week and tell you that it's a .500 team that's caught some repeated breaks. 

No fans watch enough of EVERY team to develop a ranking system superior to DVOA using the eye test. Capability of a given team is so context dependent as well. Matchups are critical and often overlooked.

This is why normalizing data is critical.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No fans watch enough of EVERY team to develop a ranking system superior to DVOA using the eye test. Capability of a given team is so context dependent as well. Matchups are critical and often overlooked.

This is why normalizing data is critical.

Your statement mentioned nothing about ranking 32 teams on an accurate scale. It said a fan can't use the eye test to determine how good a team is. I don't disagree with anything you said above, analytics are great for this reason.

I can use my eyes to determine a strong hypothesis on how this Sunday's game will go based on what I've seen this season from the Packers and Vikings however. You can use the data to support it. 

Think we can both agree the eye test, DVOA, ANY/A or any other analytics support the Vikings are an average team  with a great record. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Fortunately MN can take solace in their numerous NFL titles. Oh wait.....

DVOA is all you got.

If they make the Super Bowl and lose, they would take sole ownership of most Super Bowl appearances without a win...so there's that.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's even worse. 

The eye test is even worse then using record. No fan watches enough nor has any idea of how to watch to determine how good a team actually is.

Plus, most of us are at the mercy of video production that emphasizes the emotional drama of close up facial expressions over enough all-22 angles to show routes and defenses. To be fair, this approach does allow us to monitor Rodgers Annoyance Levels, a key input to those judging teams with their own eyes. 

• Like 1

Packers elevate K Ahmed and RB Goodson from the p squad. Slow grinder of a game confirmed.

I have no idea if we can win this one but a great way to do it would be run, run then run some more and pants these guys out on the cold grass, where real football is played. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Packers elevate K Ahmed and RB Goodson from the p squad. Slow grinder of a game confirmed.

I have no idea if we can win this one but a great way to do it would be run, run then run some more and pants these guys out on the cold grass, where real football is played. 

Probably means Watson unlikely to play.  Jones usage more a as WR/ pass catcher and Dillon run option A

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Probably means Watson unlikely to play.  Jones usage more a as WR/ pass catcher and Dillon run option A

Jones has been nicked up, as well. He’ll definitely play but hope to keep him clean and catching passes helps with that a bit. Goodson might have some wiggle and be able to help on returns in an emergency for us. I actually liked him out of camp but PT gets the nod as a pass protector which is valuable when it comes down to gotta have it 3rd downs. Extra kicker I’m assuming is for kickoffs in the cold to limit returns from Min. Nothing would make me happier than having multiple backs catching fire and the Oline showing up like we’ve been hoping for. I should be nursing a nice hangover so getting the Bloody Mary provisions stocked now for tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

We elevate a K and a RB and your translation is our WR is unlikely to play. Either you have deeper insight that I do, or Jones is banged up and so is Crosby. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Championships aren't as important as having a high DVOA though!!!!

(I'm literally cringing at that talking point)

But I'm not here to start anything. I'm just...wow.

Who’s your favorite AFC team? I assume you have one since you’re talking about championships