Week 17 Gameday Thread (New Years Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (7-8-0) vs Minnesota (12-3-0)

Striker

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He was the kid that struggled once numbers other than whole numbers got introduced.

12 minus 3 is easy.

DVOA has % signs for crissake

This is amusing given that you typically just stop responding after I explain how you’re wrong/ being irrational…. but then you want to prance around and take shots amongst your yes men lol. 

Games aren’t decided by DVOA. End of story. Of course there is more to looking at the story of a team than just looking at their overall record, but cherry picking DVOA and ignoring all context is just stupid. There is a reason for the Vikings holding the 2nd seed in the NFC while GB is still on the outside looking in with just one game left to play. Crying that the Vikings inexplicably ‘jUsT gOt lUcKy’ over the course of the entire season is rich considering you want to call out the intelligence of someone else. As if the ‘lucky’ argument actually carried any weight to it or was anything other than completely lazy given the fact that it is completely devoid of any context or meaning.

There is still a reasonably good chance GB doesn’t make it to the playoffs while the Vikings comfortably locked that up a while ago. But sure, cling to your DVOA as if that were anything but delusional.

Edited by NoFlyZone

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

This is amusing given that you typically just stop responding after I explain how you’re wrong/ being irrational…. but then you want to prance around and take shots amongst your yes men lol. 

Games aren’t decided by DVOA. End of story. Of course there is more to looking at the story of a team than just looking at their overall record, but cherry picking DVOA and ignoring all context is just stupid. There is a reason for the Vikings holding the 2nd seed in the NFC while GB is still on the outside looking in with just one game left to play. Crying that the Vikings inexplicably ‘jUsT gOt lUcKy’ over the course of the entire season is rich considering you want to call out the intelligence of someone else. As if the ‘lucky’ argument actually carried any weight to it or was anything other than completely lazy given the fact that it is completely devoid of any context or meaning.

There is still a reasonably good chance GB doesn’t make it to the playoffs while the Vikings comfortably locked that up a while ago. But sure, cling to your DVOA as if that were anything but delusional.

Minnesota is the 3rd seed currently.   At least be accurate with things if you want reasonable discussion

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

Imagine not believing in randomness

6 hours ago, KFP7 said:

Vikings have dropped to 28th in DVOA......at 12 and 4

The Vikings at 12-4 have a worse point differential than 4 teams with losing records (Jets, Browns, Raiders, Saints) 

If they beat CHI by less than 20 next week, they'll be a 13-4 team with a negative differential. That is a wild stat.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The Vikings at 12-4 have a worse point differential than 4 teams with losing records (Jets, Browns, Raiders, Saints) 

If they beat CHI by less than 20 next week, they'll be a 13-4 team with a negative differential. That is a wild stat.

For a weird team, would you expect anything else?

Good win for the Packers, but it means nothing if you don't finish against Detroit.

• Like 3

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

For a weird team, would you expect anything else?

Good win for the Packers, but it means nothing if you don't finish against Detroit.

I wouldn't say I feel better about this team than I did about the 2020 and 2021 teams.  I certainly don't.

That being said, I am probably enjoying this ride more than I did those.  There is something to be said for being viewed as the underdog.  I don't think this GB team is as good as the best teams in the league, but they are making it work with what they have. 

This has been a fun team to watch the past few weeks.  Whenever the season ends for GB, I won't have anything too terrible to say about it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Almost as funny as the oversensitive GB fans here going crazy over a regular season win bringing you back to .500 and still currently out of the playoffs. Guess it’s just that kind of season for you. 

The luck idea still doesn’t make any sense. Think your team could just as easily lose a rematch at their place. You don’t get to 12-4 bring average (they’re 12-4, right? Something like that). 

Guys, he says stuff like that to try to get in our heads and stuff like that. It is what it is. Even from his comments leading into this game, it's just talk. It’s just trying to give him that boost, that confidence, that his team can beat the packers.

3 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

I don't think this is going as well for you as you think it is.

A few quick points: 

The Vikings are a bad team that has gotten lucky and that is reflected in the underlying stats, not just DVOA but other more traditional rankings like point differential or advanced team stats (like how their strength is allegedly their passing game yet they're just 17th in net adjusted passing yards per attempt - below the Packers who have "struggled" there).

We've all said, prior wins are obviously not decided by DVOA...but it is a solid indicator for future wins. Which is why we think we're a better team then Minnesota.

No one is acting like we won the Super Bowl yesterday, but what we are acting like is how one would naturally react if they blew out the team thats been our number one rival this millennium, while winning four straight to finally control our playoff destiny. May we enjoy that, or are you only supposed to be happy when your team wins a Super Bowl? 

Lastly, you call OUR argument lazy when you base your opinion on team quality off of their win-loss record and call it a day.

• Like 2