Week 17 Gameday Thread (New Years Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (7-8-0) vs Minnesota (12-3-0)

Striker

13 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I don't think this is going as well for you as you think it is.

Lastly, you call OUR argument lazy when you base your opinion on team quality off of their win-loss record and call it a day.

I can only assume the troll is either too old to acknowledge analytics, or too young to understand them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I like need the Paul Allen call of this game and namely when Jaire hit the Griddy on JJ 

After the debate on whether Lazard should have been fined for taunting last week, it will be interesting to see if JA gets anything for his Griddy.  I don't think JA will get a fine since he went out of his way to face himself away from JJ rather than towards him.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

For a weird team, would you expect anything else?

Good win for the Packers, but it means nothing if you don't finish against Detroit.

I am looking at this season with optimism.  We dug a huge hole at the beginning of the season.  The defense greatly underachieved, and the offense struggled more than anticipated.  It took way too long for this team to gel, and now they are finally playing to their potential.  We have really been in playoff mode since the Bears game, because if we lose, we are out.  If we get to the actual playoffs at all, it is a heck of a feat and great experience for the young players.  If it is the 9ers and we get bounced in the first, so be it.  We were at 4-8 on the outside looking in, and the team didn't give up.  

I'd say lets do it again in a couple of weeks, but it looks like the Packers would have to beat (Detroit) SF and Philly, and the Vikings would have to take out the Giants and most likely Dallas.  That is tough sledding for both teams.  I think the Vikings are better than the Giants, but I do wonder what the severity of the OL injuries are.  That greatly changed the complexion of the game yesterday, and as we can attest from the last couple of seasons, a late season duct taped together OL doesn't do you any favors in the playoffs.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

The Vikings are a bad team that has gotten lucky and that is reflected in the underlying stats, not just DVOA but other more traditional rankings like point differential or advanced team stats (like how their strength is allegedly their passing game yet they're just 17th in net adjusted passing yards per attempt - below the Packers who have "struggled" there).

See, I wouldn't even go that far.  I think the Vikings are an average to good team that didn't get any breaks in 2021, and are somehow getting all the breaks in 2022.  I think this Vikings team is very similar to their 2019 (?) team that won all of those games with Case Keenum.  Or even that 2016 or 17 Lions team that had like 8 4th quarter comebacks.  They are overachieving record wise, but IMO, would still be right in the mix with Detroit and Green Bay if the "luck" factor was average instead of high.  

Or maybe I am just being real anal about the word "bad."

I know the Vikings are a hated rival but will some of you guys stop with the Vikings are terrible narrative? They're no fluke, good teams find a way to win games. We all know trying to get that #1 seed can be tense we've been there.

Can't remember the year but I remember the Packers with Favre needing a win to secure a bye played a mediocre 500 Jets team who needed a win to make the playoffs. We were the way better team but Jets destroyed us on the road, that's what this game reminded me of. The Packers are playing with house money, teams play better loose. That's what makes them scary. Minn played conservative and tight that game and made a lot of mistakes that we capitalized on.

On that blocked punt I was shocked they kicked the FG. Their defense was good enough to get a 3 and out and we would've been kicking from our endzone. Instead they took the points and kicked it to Nixon and the rest is history. That goal line stand set the tone for the rest of the game. Very satisfying game to watch next week will be a little more tense, hope they didn't use up all their energy and intensity in this game.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

I rarely go to NFL site but all of the teams they were pumping up had nothing about GB. We are not in the playoffs, so I’m fine with the national narrative not including us but we did just dismantle a rival and “contender”.

Then I scrolled down and the first “can’t miss play” was Kirk throwing a 42 yd bomb in garbage time. That was a bit much.  

Edited by Refugee