Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What worries me is in the statement Greg Penner said he would lead the coaching search. 

Someone who inherited his money by marrying into it, has never built anything in his life and has five months of football experience leading a coaching search. 

Ice Berg right ahead!!!

What concerned me most is the search is focused on someone that can revive Wilson’s career.  They know he isn’t any good.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

In this scenario you’re reaching.  Others 100%, but in this instance the only feasible answer is our QB didn’t do his job, he didn’t want to take it that far.

Should be another interesting offseason.

If you agree on the rest then really it’s just quibbling on his last interview.   I just see it as his inability to see anything beyond surface level.  The issue is that he was that way at every aspect of his job.   Given he didn’t play call at Green Bay (Lafleur did) it wouldn’t shock me if he never got an OC with play calling position again (coat tail O assistant at GB 2023 coming up). 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you agree on the rest then really it’s just quibbling on his last interview.   I just see it as his inability to see anything beyond surface level.  The issue is that he was that way at every aspect of his job.   Given he didn’t play call at Green Bay (Lafleur did) it wouldn’t shock me if he never got an OC with play calling position again (coat tail O assistant at GB 2023 coming up). 

Definitely possible.

I mentioned it in the GDT but I’m so relieved I can root for a DEN W without thinking it might somehow extend Hackett’s tenure with us.  

It’s unlikely to happen next 2 weeks  but the thought had crossed my mind beating LAR would only increase the calls for a 2nd year.   My blood pressure control is already 10x better. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I thought I’d never see a coach who deserved to be one and done more than VJ in 2017. Amazing that Hackett was even worse. 

Yeah I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that was consistently put forth that no coaching candidate will want to come to Denver because Hackett was fired year 1.  Hackett was historically inept.   There are always exceptions to the rule.  

I’d counter that no decent players would want to come or stay in Denver if we had kept Hackett.    Having accountability work both ways matters here.  

Edited by Broncofan

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but friendly reminder: Kyle Shanahan is currently killing it with Mr. F*cking Irrelevant as his qb. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I’ll never forgive Ellis and Elway for passing on him in 2017. In fact, there are a lot of things I’ll never forgive Joe Ellis for.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that was consistently put fir that no coaching candidate will want to come to Denver because Hackett was fired year 1.  Hackett was historically inept.   There are always exceptions to the rule.  

I’d counter that no decent players would want to come or stay in Denver if we had kept Hackett.    Having accountability work both ways matters here.  

Yeah, the coaching outlook is maybe the worst we’ve ever seen for a team because anyone who takes the job is stuck for multiple years with a broken QB who isn’t respected by his teammates. Hackett getting one year doesn’t matter, it’s just that the overall situation is so dire.

2 thoughts: 

1.  A little disappointed in FO if it took that L to decide enough was enough.   The fact the interview window opens up now would make a ton of sense to have waited until now. 

2.  No matter what happens to his future career here or elsewhere - if it did take the L and PR mess then God bless Dalton Risner for ending our collective misery.   Already makes New Years 100x better.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I wish nothing but the best for Hackett for the rest of his career as an OC/QB coach. Unlike McDaniels, Fangio and even John Fox, he behaved professionally throughout his tenure and was just out of his depth. That being said, this was 100% the correct move.

My dream lineup is Quinn as HC with Schottenheimer as OC and keep Evero as DC. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, the coaching outlook is maybe the worst we’ve ever seen for a team because anyone who takes the job is stuck for multiple years with a broken QB who isn’t respected by his teammates. Hackett getting one year doesn’t matter, it’s just that the overall situation is so dire.

Yeah that’s a take I can respect.   In a lot of ways unless it’s an O guy who feels confident he can fix Wilson - we’re probably better off with a D minded HC who’s open to keeping Evero, and then addressing Wilson with the OC / QBC hire.   

I’m dead set against Frank Reich as HC / game manager (he sucks in both roles)  - but if you can bring him in as a QB fixer I see the merit.   Just if he’s the play caller / game manager….ugh.   

Having said all of that - anyone we hire will be miles better than Hackett.   Because no matter the hire they’ll be good at 1-2 areas, even if they don’t work out.    Hackett literally was overmatched everywhere.   From deciding no preseason work to game management to pre-game prep to personnel deployment…..literally brought nothing to the table.     If they can’t bring Wilson to even just “OK”, though….yes, tough times.    And I say that as someone totally willing to pay the price later for upgrading now - just it was supposed to be later, not right away lol.  Oh well. 

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I wish nothing but the best for Hackett for the rest of his career as an OC/QB coach. Unlike McDaniels, Fangio and even John Fox, he behaved professionally throughout his tenure and was just out of his depth. That being said, this was 100% the correct move.

My dream lineup is Quinn as HC with Schottenheimer as OC and keep Evero as DC. 

He shouldn’t ever be OC where play calling is his responsibility.   Assistant, QBC, sure.    Ppl forget his Jax days were basically predicated on 1 year with an elite D getting 10+ pts leads.    His play calling in the AFCG probably cost them that game.    Sadly I thought he’d have learned from A-Rod / Lafleur in his GB time.   He clearly didn’t.  

Still he’s a likeable guy.   He’ll find work - probably GB in 2023.   Just shouldn’t go anywhere near a job where he has play calling level responsibilities. 

Edited by Broncofan