Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

What concerned me most is the search is focused on someone that can revive Wilson’s career.  They know he isn’t any good.

Yeah. This is what I said yesterday about that: 

The Walmarts are going to fire Hackett, fairly or not, I mean there’s no way from a PR perspective they cannot.

But Wilson is the problem. There are other problems, yes, but Russ is far and away the biggest and I’m not sure how fairly we can judge the other problems with his rank incompetence affecting everything. 

And in light of that, now I don’t even know what to do. Crazy as it sounds, it should be seriously considered just outright cutting him, taking the $100m hit, tanking the 2023 season, and starting clean in 2024.

We would have our full slate of draft picks back and probably some $150+ million in cap space. It would be unprecedented and make next season a complete lost cause. But it might be the healthiest long term for the franchise. 

Instead, I’m sure They’re going to go get a veteran HC and a veteran staff, probably some coaches with whom Russ has worked with in the past and try to sell us on that. I know, as I think most of us here do, that it won’t work. And we’ll be right back here a year from now. It’s just like how (most) of us here knew going with Teddy and Vic last year was a wasted season. 

I’d rather make 2023 a wasted season by cutting Russ and taking the hit and playing what would literally be a team of rookies, UDFAs and the few pieces we have now than trying to delude ourselves into thinking a new HC will “fix” Russ and all will be well. 

I’ve checked out on this season and, quite frankly, while I’ll pay attention to what we do from January through April, I’m fairly certain I’ll be checked out on next season even before training camp kicks off.

As I said a couple weeks ago, there are so many interesting teams playing fun to watch football, why waste my time watching this team. 

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

My dream lineup is Quinn as HC with Schottenheimer as OC and keep Evero as DC. 

If that’s your dream coaching scenario I hate to see what your dream woman looks like. 

I’ve said it before many times and I will say it again - Dan Quinn is NOTHING special. He's overhyped because he coaches for the Cowboys, he has losing record without Kyle as his OC, he interviewed last year for several teams and wasn’t hired and his two somewhat successful coordinator stints came with an all-time defense under an elite HC in Seattle and with a unicorn talent in Parsons and soft schedule in Dallas. 

Dear god everyone get the hell over Dan freaking Quinn. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What worries me is in the statement Greg Penner said he would lead the coaching search. 

Someone who inherited his money by marrying into it, has never built anything in his life and has five months of football experience leading a coaching search. 

Ice Berg right ahead!!!

I mean from an outsider I don’t see how whoever you hire is likely the long term answer unless they give them 3+ years regardless of results with the Russ contract.

41 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I wish nothing but the best for Hackett for the rest of his career as an OC/QB coach. Unlike McDaniels, Fangio and even John Fox, he behaved professionally throughout his tenure and was just out of his depth. That being said, this was 100% the correct move.

My dream lineup is Quinn as HC with Schottenheimer as OC and keep Evero as DC. 

I’m on the fence about Quinn, but I agree with your take on Hackett. By all accounts, he’s a great guy and I wish him no ill will whatsoever. He was just in over his head. You don’t know until you try though, right? Best of luck to him. 

Oh Hackett is a great guy, as I’ve said, just like with Vance, if I had a beer with him I’m sure I’d like him. It’s a stark contrast to Vic and Mac who I had NO remorse for when they were shown the door. 

The Walmarts have to, HAVE to make a run at Harbaugh and look into Paton. Another “hot coordinator” or failed retread like Quinn or Reich will go over with the fanbase like a lead balloon and, even worse, will fail and we will be back in this situation again 2 years from now. 

• Like 2

On board for Hackett being fired, he was just a passenger along for the ride for most of the season. I am not really sure what his contributions were after giving up play calling duties. 

As far as new hires go, I do not foresee us having a whole lot of leverage when it comes to hiring. Last offseason we were a pretty ideal landing spot for anybody in the running for a head coaching job. This coming offseason we are probably going to be the least desirable landing for any coach. I personally wouldn't enjoy my job being tethered to the hope that Russ is not nearly as bad as he has been showing.   

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Oh Hackett is a great guy, as I’ve said, just like with Vance, if I had a beer with him I’m sure I’d like him. It’s a stark contrast to Vic and Mac who I had NO remorse for when they were shown the door. 

The Walmarts have to, HAVE to make a run at Harbaugh and look into Paton. Another “hot coordinator” or failed retread like Quinn or Reich will go over with the fanbase like a lead balloon and, even worse, will fail and we will be back in this situation again 2 years from now. 

I have a feeling Frank Reich is going to be heavily in the mix for this job.  From everything I’ve read coming out they want someone with HC experience that can get Wilson back on track.  Mike Klis basically stated the entire focus of the next HC will be Wilson.  

I read recently that Sean Payton plans on tabbing Vic Fangio as his DC.  If that’s the case then I doubt he’s coming to Denver.  Stranger things have happened though.

"Moving forward, we will carefully evaluate every aspect of our football operations and make whatever changes are necessary to restore this franchise's winning tradition. I will lead our head coaching search with support from our ownership group and George, whom I have confidence in as our general manager. As we begin the process of selecting our next head coach, we remain focused on playing competitive football to finish the season on a positive note."

Obviously they realize the problems run deeper than HC. I'll be interested to see what "advisory  personnel" they bring in. It's a sure bet that George will never again have a free ride on coaching selection and major trades. 

I'd imagine Capers will be retained in some role. He's the only HC in history to start two NFL franchises in Carolina and Houston. 

This is an opportunity to get a lot of things right. I love the "consultant roles" they had in Kollar, Capers and the ST guy. Hopefully they toss out the old "HC gets to pick his staff" and put some serious restrictions on that. Continuity in staff is one of the most important parts of a successful team and something we've been lacking for a long time.

Anyway, we haven't been in this much of a mess since the 60's. There are no quick fixes. Draft well and develop. 

2 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Also I would be absolutely shocked if either Payton or Harbaugh had the slightest interest in coming to Denver. I know money talks, but it seems like a pipe dream to me.

If Payton wants Fangio as DC zero chance.   Plus the pick comp matters.   

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I have a feeling Frank Reich is going to be heavily in the mix for this job.  From everything I’ve read coming out they want someone with HC experience that can get Wilson back on track.  Mike Klis basically stated the entire focus of the next HC will be Wilson.  

I read recently that Sean Payton plans on tabbing Vic Fangio as his DC.  If that’s the case then I doubt he’s coming to Denver.  Stranger things have happened though.

Well if that’s the case, I guess the sooner the fanbase turns on the Walmarts the better then. 

Like I say yesterday, making a hire with “fixing Russ” as even a consideration let alone the primary one is an exercise in futility and I won’t waste time on a franchise that operates like that. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

33 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If that’s your dream coaching scenario I hate to see what your dream woman looks like. 

I’ve said it before many times and I will say it again - Dan Quinn is NOTHING special. He's overhyped because he coaches for the Cowboys, he has losing record without Kyle as his OC, he interviewed last year for several teams and wasn’t hired and his two somewhat successful coordinator stints came with an all-time defense under an elite HC in Seattle and with a unicorn talent in Parsons and soft schedule in Dallas. 

Dear god everyone get the hell over Dan freaking Quinn. 

What is your suggestion?

You are right that Quinn is nothing special - but special HCs are very few and far between. Teams swing and miss on hot coaching prospects all the time - are you suggesting that we should do the same again? We had a chance to get O'Connell and didn't and didn't even interview McDaniel or Daboll - but this season has been unusual in this respect and Paton messed up by picking the worst of the bunch. Good HCs do not get fired.

You said yourself not too long ago that we need a John Fox type figure - and that is exactly what Quinn is (if not a bit better).

I am onboard with getting Sean Payton if he is willing to come to Denver and he doesn't cost an exhorbitant amount. 

The upside with Quinn is that last season Denver was the only job he was willing to leave Dallas for - and that was long before the Wilson trade. If Quinn had been appointed instead of  the buddy, buddy clown we ended up with then the team could have been potentially been standing at .500 at the moment or better because he wouldn't have made all the rookie / in over his head mistakes that Hackett made throughout the season - and he would have acted to correct the ship if things had started to go off the rails like thy did from Day 1 with Hackett.

Would Quinn fix Wilson - maybe he limits the damage and ensures the offence maximises his skills and limits his deficiencies - maybe he cannot make any difference - but I would prefer to see someone like Quinn lead a rebuilt that some other hot prospect rookie. The other problem is that we don't even know if Quinn would be interested after being snubbed last year.

So AAA - if not 'Dan freaking Quinn' - who?

I’m glad y’all got rid of Hackett. He was horrible from week 1 just utterly in over his head. 

Interesting to see who wants to coach Russ. 

I think you gotta either go with Kellen Moore or Bienimey

gotta try your best to fix Russ as much as possible. I would lean towards Moore. He seems ready now.