Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

First, thank god this happened. He simply wasn't up to snuff. Period. There's lots of issues on this team and plenty of blame to go around, but Hackett was not prepared to be a HC. He may have brought a different energy and a fresh perspective to the locker room (which is why I think he was hired), but he didn't have the chops and the staff he assembled (aside from Evero) was ill-prepared for the roles they took on.

Paton will get one more chance to salvage his role through this next coaching search. I'm not reading too much into the Penner statement. The owners of the team should be involved in the coaching search. Paton will probably be the guy assessing candidates from a football perspective and the Walmarts will decide if that person meets the culture standards they're trying to establish.

Sean Payton won't be the coach...lets just get that out of the way immediately. Ain't happening. I completely expect Denver to try and hire someone who has been a head coach before, otherwise they better have a hell of a plan in place. No surprise, the person coming in is going to have to deal with Russ and be involved in the next steps there. Russ has a LOT to answer for this year. He's been significantly worse now than at any point the last few years. The hire we make will tell me a lot as to whether we go all in on Russ or look to build a total team with Russ as one of the cogs. It will certainly be another interesting offseason.

Make no mistake though. Getting a 2-week jump on the process should help significantly. I think there's a lot of upside to be had if Paton and Co play their cards right.

One thing I would point out though. If you're Paton, I think you can make the case to attract a lot of coaching talent here (despite what the Denver media talking heads say). If you get even bottom third (instead of dead last) offensive production, this is a wild card team because of the defense. Keep the defense intact, bring in some more seasoned offensive minds. That's where my head would be at.

I still think Denver will be an attractive location for head coaches because a) the owners are filthy rich, b) Paton is well-respected, c) the defense is good, d) there's a decent amount of cap space to play with. The question is whether e) Russell Wilson as QB as an attractive proposition for a coach or not. Some coaches might chomp at the bit. Others might see him as washed. Like I said above, I am extremely curious what path Denver takes.

11 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

What is your suggestion?

You are right that Quinn is nothing special - but special HCs are very few and far between. Teams swing and miss on hot coaching prospects all the time - are you suggesting that we should do the same again? We had a chance to get O'Connell and didn't and didn't even interview McDaniel or Daboll - but this season has been unusual in this respect and Paton messed up by picking the worst of the bunch. Good HCs do not get fired.

You said yourself not too long ago that we need a John Fox type figure - and that is exactly what Quinn is (if not a bit better).

I am onboard with getting Sean Payton if he is willing to come to Denver and he doesn't cost an exhorbitant amount. 

The upside with Quinn is that last season Denver was the only job he was willing to leave Dallas for - and that was long before the Wilson trade. If Quinn had been appointed instead of  the buddy, buddy clown we ended up with then the team could have been potentially been standing at .500 at the moment or better because he wouldn't have made all the rookie / in over his head mistakes that Hackett made throughout the season - and he would have acted to correct the ship if things had started to go off the rails like thy did from Day 1 with Hackett.

Would Quinn fix Wilson - maybe he limits the damage and ensures the offence maximises his skills and limits his deficiencies - maybe he cannot make any difference - but I would prefer to see someone like Quinn lead a rebuilt that some other hot prospect rookie. The other problem is that we don't even know if Quinn would be interested after being snubbed last year.

So AAA - if not 'Dan freaking Quinn' - who?

For one, Quinn and Fox are not analogous.

Fox built up an expansion franchise that was 16-32 under their former HC and he took them to a SB with Jake Delhomme at QB. Quinn inherited a more stable team, with money to burn, an experienced (albeit Patriot Way) FO and had, for the two seasons of success, had an elite OC and offensive staff. He also had a franchise QB and talent all over the field. They sucked after Kyle left. 

Furthermore, regarding the inapt Quinn/Fox comparison, this team is not in the position as we were in 2011 after the McDisaster. Our GM, Elway, was a rookie who knew the culture and the league, our “owner” (Ellis) knew he didn’t know football. Now, we have an experienced GM who’s made some mistakes yes but also had his balls cut off by a married-into-money chain retail magnate who knows NOTHING about football. 

You can’t have a blue light special and fix the Broncos the way you can if one of your stores isn’t turning a profit. We can’t buy up 20 of the other 31 competitors because they’re cash poor relative to us. You can’t fire bloated management staff and replace them with minimum wage employees because of the league salary floor. What does the f-head Penner think he’s bringing to the table in the coaching search?  

What bugs me is how some people here and all over social and the radio and casual fans I meet out and about talk about Dan Quinn like he’s Don Shula or Vince Lombardi. 

I’d rather roll the dice in a 30-something hot coordinator from the McVay/Shanahan tree or give Evero the job than hire some overhyped, once failed retread thinking he will fix Wilson. 

Honestly, Rosburg as interim HC doesn't faze me at all.

The main goal is to leave flexibility to keep Evero at DC, if the new HC wishes to retain him.    Whether it's Capers or Rosburg, I couldn't care less. 

If anything, we get Kubiak in charge of the O, Evero as DC - and the players get to show if they'll show up (other than the WR's & I should add Singleton <but it's hard to give anyone on the D any credit when you give up 44 pts on your own>, no one else did yesterday).   I'm OK with it.

Edited by Broncofan

58 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’m glad y’all got rid of Hackett. He was horrible from week 1 just utterly in over his head. 

Interesting to see who wants to coach Russ. 

I think you gotta either go with Kellen Moore or Bienimey

gotta try your best to fix Russ as much as possible. I would lean towards Moore. He seems ready now. 

No to all of this. Stop watching ESPN. 

Go back to Cleveland and cheer on QB pervert. 

Do the best you can to keep Evero as DC. If you can’t get Payton or Harbaugh, then call Mike Shanahan and/or Gary Kubiak and put a stop to this nonsense. Either one of those coaches have the acumen and clout to put Wilson back in his place and install an offense he can actually operate in. Both are proven, Super Bowl winning coaches. If they go the hot young (and cheap) coordinator route again, that shows me that they aren’t serious about getting us back to championship caliber and I’m done with this team for the foreseeable future. 

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No to all of this. Stop watching ESPN. 

Go back to Cleveland and cheer on QB pervert. 

He’s just trying to help ID guys - there’s no malice there.    I don’t think Moore is the answer FWIW.   But not every outside FF member comes here to gloat / troll.  @brownie man IMO was being genuine. 

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Do the best you can to keep Evero as DC. If you can’t get Payton or Harbaugh, then call Mike Shanahan and/or Gary Kubiak and put a stop to this nonsense. Either one of those coaches have the acumen and clout to put Wilson back in his place and install an offense he can actually operate in. Both are proven, Super Bowl winning coaches. If they go the hot young (and cheap) coordinator route again, that shows me that they aren’t serious about getting us back to championship caliber and I’m done with this team for the foreseeable future. 

If you mean as HC - sure.   I do agree 100 percent the next guy has to have the security and cache to call Russ out.  

I will absolutely concur  Hackett not calling out Russell more has compounded the situation (along with his scheme being a bad fit for Russ - but that’s also on Russ too).   That can’t be allowed to continue.   Culture change starts at the top.   And it’s why Hackett had to go.  But it also extends to full accountability for Russell Wilson too. 

I don’t have a problem though  if we go unconventional at OC / QBC.   That’s how you get your successor to the Kubiak-type hires.  Because those won’t be there long either.    

Edited by Broncofan