Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

If Paton, with all his experience, messed up this badly with the HC and QB, I have a terrible feeling about the direction of this franchise under the Wally Worlds. I think Eviro is smart enough and won’t be sticking around this circus. I think we’re stuck with Wilson for awhile. They should bench him next year then cut him, but they’ll keep looking for someone that will bring him back to his glory years. The Wally’s will need to have dumb luck with the next coaching staff…we may be the laughing stock of the league for while…sigh. 

18 hours ago, germ-x said:

What he said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/.amp/news/george-paton-statement-nathaniel-hackett-hire

Look at the damn GIF.  This was a disaster that Paton fell into because he hit it off with Hackett.  

Well .GIFs tell all. 

George has made some big mistakes and the Hackett hire is one of them but the hire wasn’t made only because they hit it off.

Well this thread is nose diving into un-readable territory, we could discuss what candidates would be good fits or what expectations should be next season but rather use Trump-like names and insults. Boy I sure hope this forum gets degraded into 4chan.

Anyways Stukes and Berry were massive coaching misses, Berry was a downgrade from Munchak and well ST have been pretty un-special here for quite some years now but it was awful this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Stukes and Barry out as ST and OL coaches, as well. Cool

It definitely shows someone from the FO is paying attention.   Hackett blindly backing both guys' decisions was a major part of his doom - forget the bad game management, pre-game prep work, and lack of insight into the O's struggles - as the overseer, signing off on the OL personnel decisions was brutal to watch - as was our ST performance (sigh, again saying this another year).

• Like 2

It is absolutely the right move. I honestly think he would have kept his job if the team had competed for the first 3 quarters of our remaining games. But Sunday was the lowest ive felt since that Raiders 50 bomb game at home. 

Multiple fights on the sideline, and a guy punching an opponent after the game? Total shambles and clear as day the team is gone. 

Ive never seen so many business decisions from a Defense that early in a game before. The DBs in particular. They knew after that first INT what was coming.

We are tied to Wilson for 2 years minimum so the next hires are all about trying to do what they can with him. Ive no faith that anyone walking this planet can do it but we have no choice. 

I honestly think we have more chance with striking gold on a mid round QB like Dak, which in itself is soooooo unlikely. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

One thing that might help is that not that many teams are expected to fire their coach this off-season. Other than the 3 already fired it’s only really Smith in Houston and Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona that are expected to get the boot, plus McVay might retire. Not much competition for the top candidates. 

11 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Also I remember Russ wanting to play for Peyton for awhile when folks thought Brees was retiring the year before he actually did. This is all setup for Sean Payton to be the next HC. I'm not thrilled with it, but it will be a Fox level hire where he'll bring the Broncos back to respectability. But we probably don't get back to being contenders.

Couple things on Sean Payton and why it wouldn't happen:

1) Saints still control his rights. Meaning a trade is likely needed to get him. Being a hot commodity, he has value I don't see the Saints just letting him go free. Do you give up your #1 pick for him?

2) He's said to want to team with Fangio as his DC. Strike 2 for Denver.

3) Most importantly.... Sean Payton's offense relies on timing and accuracy. This is exactly the type system we just saw Russell Wilson implode in. Do you think Payton blows up his proven scheme to accommodate Wilson.

Glad to see they also got rid of some position coaches. That shows how much of a tire fire this team was. AK was correct about the lack of experience on the coaching front. It certainly showed on the offensive side of things. Stukes probably got a semi raw deal as ST coach, but we were once again last in ST performance, Waitman stinks, McManus stinks, Washington stinks. Just bad all around.

I forgot Butch Barry even existed. Another BS nepotism hire by Hackett, which is as much the issue as anything. He got lucky with Every, but the rest of the hires he made were just his friends. Bad situation.

52 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Evero is almost definitely gone you would assume. He is going to get HC interviews and rightly so. Even if he doesn't, he will be the #1 DC target out there; I cant see him sticking around this dumpster fire without a very serious payrise. 

I hope he gets a HC offer somehow if he's not going to stay. Selfishly, I'd love the additional draft pick for a team hiring a minority candidate off our coaching roster.

• Like 1