Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No the best thing they could do for 2 weeks is hire an outsider. Have someone with some cred come in and report back an honest assessment. It’s not about winning games. 

They should have brought in a football person with no ties to anything other than the team and the culture. Even like Dave Logan (and no I don’t listen to KoA, and I don’t even like Dave he’s a pompous *** but he does care about the Broncos). Have him evaluate it all and report back what wasn’t working and what was. That’s what a GOOD manager would do. But the Walmarts aren’t good managers, they inherited their money from Sam who actually built the business and would sneak into his stores and pose as a greeter in his final years. That’s a businessman. Greg and Karrie are silver spooners who reap success with no idea how to achieve success. 

Haven't you been resisting my posts that said to do the same damn thing in  the george paton thread?  lmao and I wouldn't want anyone with ties to the organization doing it though I would want him to understand our history, I would want someone independent............. 

• Like 1

An owner with little experience leading a coaching search is 

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Hahahahahahahaha oh man this is so bad, you guys

Oof.... this is Mark Davis-esque. Guy with little football acumine leading a coaching search is not what you hope to hear. 

And this job seems like a hard sell outside of throwing money at it. And do you want the coach who is doing it for the money? Or alternatively another upstart with no track record?

How this is navigated will make for an interesting offseason. You have to find a coach who is okay being strapped with a QB who appears to have lost the team. What do you do with Sutton, Hamler and Jeudy? These guys seem completely done with Wilson at this stage. 

This is a suicide mission for any coach. You need some John Wooden level leadership to somehow repair a broken locker room around a QB who the team seems to have legit quit on. 

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Hahahahahahahaha oh man this is so bad, you guys

I take it a bit differently. He's a businessman. I think he's about to surround himself with lot's of sharp football folks and proceed from there.

To me right now the HC just isn't that important. We don't even have a decision making process. Last year it was "George will do it". That was obviously not a good plan. 

Just a hunch but I'll bet he's listening a bit more to the old guys on staff, Kollar, Capers and our new HC. Capers has been the 1st HC for two franchises and probably has a pretty good idea on what it takes FO wise.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Glad to see they also got rid of some position coaches. That shows how much of a tire fire this team was. AK was correct about the lack of experience on the coaching front. It certainly showed on the offensive side of things. Stukes probably got a semi raw deal as ST coach, but we were once again last in ST performance, Waitman stinks, McManus stinks, Washington stinks. Just bad all around.

I forgot Butch Barry even existed. Another BS nepotism hire by Hackett, which is as much the issue as anything. He got lucky with Every, but the rest of the hires he made were just his friends. Bad situation.

The difference on the defensive side was the "Special Assistants" we hired, Capers and Kollar. Capers learned this defense along side Fangio in NO a long time ago. He's also a great DB coach. Kollar kept our rookie DL coach from failing. I love the performance Kollar gets from a talent limited DL. 

Our LB coaches didn't fare so well. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

An owner with little experience leading a coaching search is 

Oof.... this is Mark Davis-esque. Guy with little football acumine leading a coaching search is not what you hope to hear. 

And this job seems like a hard sell outside of throwing money at it. And do you want the coach who is doing it for the money? Or alternatively another upstart with no track record?

How this is navigated will make for an interesting offseason. You have to find a coach who is okay being strapped with a QB who appears to have lost the team. What do you do with Sutton, Hamler and Jeudy? These guys seem completely done with Wilson at this stage. 

This is a suicide mission for any coach. You need some John Wooden level leadership to somehow repair a broken locker room around a QB who the team seems to have legit quit on. 

I wish I could say I didn’t agree with you 😔

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Couple things on Sean Payton and why it wouldn't happen:

1) Saints still control his rights. Meaning a trade is likely needed to get him. Being a hot commodity, he has value I don't see the Saints just letting him go free. Do you give up your #1 pick for him?

2) He's said to want to team with Fangio as his DC. Strike 2 for Denver.

3) Most importantly.... Sean Payton's offense relies on timing and accuracy. This is exactly the type system we just saw Russell Wilson implode in. Do you think Payton blows up his proven scheme to accommodate Wilson.

Just get the Saints to take on Wilson, besides, he’s worth multiple firsts and seconds. Also, we wanted Fangio as our D coordinator, just not HC. It’s all coming together, great plan.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I take it a bit differently. He's a businessman. I think he's about to surround himself with lot's of sharp football folks and proceed from there.

To me right now the HC just isn't that important. We don't even have a decision making process. Last year it was "George will do it". That was obviously not a good plan. 

Just a hunch but I'll bet he's listening a bit more to the old guys on staff, Kollar, Capers and our new HC. Capers has been the 1st HC for two franchises and probably has a pretty good idea on what it takes FO wise.

If he was an actual businessman instead of a nepo baby, I might agree. But the guy has accomplished nothing that wasn’t just coat-tailing off his wife’s family. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest, I actually liked Penner's press conference. I think too much is being made of the "I will lead the coaching search" comments. Penner doesn't strike me a as a Jerry Jones meddling type. He knows he doesn't know football like Paton does, so he's not going to be pressing a coach or GM to sign particular players. He's looking to be involved with the hire to set the tone organizationally as far as what kind of coach they want based on the culture they want to build.

Paton and others are going to assess the football side of things. I am not personally crazy about the dual reporting structure, but other teams do it and it works. Paton is a very good personnel guy, or at least better than Elway. The local media hot take artists are poisoning the well with their stupid talking points. 

I think Harbaugh is a good option, but I do think we all would need to come to terms with the fact that his style would probably wear thin after awhile. I would personally prefer someone closer to the NFL game at the moment. What Denver needs to re-assess are the criteria they are selecting to find a coach. Something is clearly amiss there given the last several coaches have flopped. I think having some extra time for this process is incredibly beneficial, by the way. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If he was an actual businessman instead of a nepo baby, I might agree. But the guy has accomplished nothing that wasn’t just coat-tailing off his wife’s family. 

EXACTLY! 

Greg Penner did one thing smart in his life - marry Karrie Walton. 

Sure he was CEO of Walmart but how hard is that - you have universal brand recognition that was built by Sam, you have tens thousands of establishments that can easily price out the competition (economies of scale is a principal learned in Econ 101) and you sell a bunch of slave-labor produced crap merchandise at a low price. He’s not an Elon Musk type who changed the world with his innovation. 

32 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

EXACTLY! 

Greg Penner did one thing smart in his life - marry Karrie Walton. 

Sure he was CEO of Walmart but how hard is that - you have universal brand recognition that was built by Sam, you have tens thousands of establishments that can easily price out the competition (economies of scale is a principal learned in Econ 101) and you sell a bunch of slave-labor produced crap merchandise at a low price. He’s not an Elon Musk type who changed the world with his innovation. 

Ah c'mon. That's ridiculous. Read this.

https://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership/board-of-directors/gregory-penner/

I'm sorry but as far as business and education his resume is gold plated, even prior to his marriage. Since he fired Hackett I've been pretty impressed with every decision he's made and some of the statements. Taking full responsibility for all of Patons horrible decisions was huge. For the first time since he/they bought the team I actually feel like someones in charge. 

So far, so good. I like him.

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Ah c'mon. That's ridiculous. Read this.

https://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership/board-of-directors/gregory-penner/

I'm sorry but as far as business and education his resume is gold plated, even prior to his marriage. Since he fired Hackett I've been pretty impressed with every decision he's made and some of the statements. Taking full responsibility for all of Patons horrible decisions was huge. For the first time since he/they bought the team I actually feel like someones in charge. 

So far, so good. I like him.

Well, fair point. Corporate PR never paint their executives in good light so that’s very insightful 🙄

And Penner didn’t take responsibility for Paton’s mistakes, Paton took responsibility for his mistakes and then got skewered by the shock jocks on Denver radio and the unemployed underwear trolls on social. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, fair point. Corporate PR never paint their executives in good light so that’s very insightful 🙄

And Penner didn’t take responsibility for Paton’s mistakes, Paton took responsibility for his mistakes and then got skewered by the shock jocks on Denver radio and the unemployed underwear trolls on social. 

I'm not one to carry water for billionaires, but Greg Penner isn't an idiot lol. He's an extremely accomplished guy. Frankly, I would have actually expected you to be somewhat happy with him because he's *not* trying to be a football guy. He's trying to build org culture. 

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He did basically accept all blame to this point which I loved. I read that Paton did also. Seriously AAA, this guys got some serious leadership skills. He's made some rapid decisions, all of which were due. 

We need to give this guy some time. My impression so far is he's the real deal. Give him some rope and see what he does. In the last week my view of ownership has skyrocketed.

• Like 1