Bears @ Lions on New Year's Day

beardown3231

I am holding my breath every game that Fields makes it through to end of year relatively intact. 

And that we keep losing.  

I would solve both problems by shutting him down for year.  

What is the risk reward here?  We are obviously tanking.  Not a whole to be gained by these reps for Fields.  

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am holding my breath every game that Fields makes it through to end of year relatively intact. 

And that we keep losing.  

I would solve both problems by shutting him down for year.  

What is the risk reward here?  We are obviously tanking.  Not a whole to be gained by these reps for Fields.  

Some of the value has to be in seeing what the Fields adjacent talent can do too, right? Thinking Claypool, Velus and the OL, most specifically. There’s value in the reps for Braxton Jones going against Hutchinson and Danielle Hunter for sure, and given Fields’ mobility those reps are similar but not the same if Peterman were in there. Same goes for Borom at LG to a lesser extent.

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Some of the value has to be in seeing what the Fields adjacent talent can do too, right? Thinking Claypool, Velus and the OL, most specifically. There’s value in the reps for Braxton Jones going against Hutchinson and Danielle Hunter for sure, and given Fields’ mobility those reps are similar but not the same if Peterman were in there. Same goes for Borom at LG to a lesser extent.

There is value.

They are not shutting him down.

I am probably over reacting. 

I just think if he tears his ACL in January all of next year is shot.  If he needs shoulder surgery the whole offseason is shot and the next year is probably not going to be great.

What happens happens.  Just enjoy the ride regardless.   At least we aren't Denver right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

There is value.

They are not shutting him down.

I am probably over reacting. 

I just think if he tears his ACL in January all of next year is shot.  If he needs shoulder surgery the whole offseason is shot and the next year is probably not going to be great.

What happens happens.  Just enjoy the ride regardless.   At least we aren't Denver right now.

At the same time what if Fields tears his ACL during mini camp, then the whole off season and season is shot. There is no 100% right answer for him playing but, Fields needs reps to continue to progress unlike someone like Mahomes or Brady types.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

At the same time what if Fields tears his ACL during mini camp, then the whole off season and season is shot. There is no 100% right answer for him playing but, Fields needs reps to continue to progress unlike someone like Mahomes or Brady types.

That is while preparing/participating in a meaningful season

This season is no longer meaningful other than Draft status. Which is completely counter intuitive of every high level competitive athlete. 

Im not going to actually lay out a step by step injury scenario, because thats awful karma. But how could any of you feel good if he has a 2023 altering injury (much less career altering) in the last 2 meaningless games of a season we are clearly purposely TANKING. We have seen what we need to from Fields as the Franchise QB we thought he could be. He can still prepare for every game the same way, take all the mental reps, and then not take the unnecessary punishment.

We (he) have been pretty lucky so far that its been some hammy problems and a non throwing shoulder so far this year. Lets leave it there and not tempt fate.

(not to mention, if something really bad does happen in the next 12 days, that would completely muddy all draft plans)

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

That is while preparing/participating in a meaningful season

This season is no longer meaningful other than Draft status. Which is completely counter intuitive of every high level competitive athlete. 

Im not going to actually lay out a step by step injury scenario, because thats awful karma. But how could any of you feel good if he has a 2023 altering injury (much less career altering) in the last 2 meaningless games of a season we are clearly purposely TANKING. We have seen what we need to from Fields as the Franchise QB we thought he could be. He can still prepare for every game the same way, take all the mental reps, and then not take the unnecessary punishment.

We (he) have been pretty lucky so far that its been some hammy problems and a non throwing shoulder so far this year. Lets leave it there and not tempt fate.

(not to mention, if something really bad does happen in the next 12 days, that would completely muddy all draft plans)

So then the Bears should just forfeit the last two games, that way no one gets hurt and they lose the last two meaning less games.

6 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

So then the Bears should just forfeit the last two games, that way no one gets hurt and they lose the last two meaning less games.

Come on man, this is the lamest response. Do you want participation trophies for the entire league too? Or do you want to act like grown ups and be honest about what is going on here?

There are very few guys on this roster who even actually matter for 2023, even less beyond that. And Justin Fields is the guy we should be focused on keeping in the best situation, and that situation is shutting him down for both health and draft positioning.

He has a legitimate injury, if we were fighting for a playoff spot, I would be screaming that he plays through it. But we are so far out of it, competing for the top pick, so I am screaming for the opposite.

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Come on man, this is the lamest response. Do you want participation trophies for the entire league too? Or do you want to act like grown ups and be honest about what is going on here?

There are very few guys on this roster who even actually matter for 2023, even less beyond that. And Justin Fields is the guy we should be focused on keeping in the best situation, and that situation is shutting him down for both health and draft positioning.

He has a legitimate injury, if we were fighting for a playoff spot, I would be screaming that he plays through it. But we are so far out of it, competing for the top pick, so I am screaming for the opposite.

I am a grown up and I see that Fields still needs reps to progress as a passer, you can play the hypothetical situations all you want but if he is healthy than he should be playing to get those reps. For the legitimate injury that he has if he isn't on the injury report than that's a violation that the team can get fined for.

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

In complete agreement here.

I think the view is more based on short term vs long term. In no way do I think the 40 passes over the next two weeks will alter his ability for 2023. He progressed this season and even had a damn good game vs some good defenses. That being said, if he plays then he needs to play, not play in a dink and dunk offense that will not be used next season. The only "bad" game in the last 10 or so was the GB one, but if looking at his actual play rather than just scanning stats we know that both those INTs were not really Fields' fault. ESB ran his route like a junior high kid and let the DB undercut him, and the other was basically a hail mary nearing the end of the game while down 2 scores. That's plenty for me, I think we have our guy and just need to surround him with talent.

I'd honestly rather see him playing preseason reps than the last two games. At least that will be with WRs that he will be targeting in 2023. Use the last two games to evaluate guys in positions they may be fighting for in 2023.

• Like 1