Week 17: San Francisco 49ers at Las Vegas Raiders

TecmoSuperJoe

Viva Brock Vegas? Anyway, the 49ers should dominate the Raiders on the road plain and simple. Just hoping for no injuries to either team. They open as 5.5 point favorites. If the 49ers can get the W, and the Packers at home can beat the Vikings it would be a great weekend for Niners-Tribe. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

DVOA rankings through week 17:

Offense - 7th

Defense - 1st

STs - 14th

Team - 3rd

This is a dominant ball club that is playing like a top 5 unit offensively and of course they have been playing like the best defense for much of the season. 

As for this game, while the Raiders are struggling, they do have the ability to make this game competitive. The defense has played better as of they have only allowed 16.5 PPG in the last four games. And then on offense they have Jacobs and Adams who can take games over. Something has been off and maybe it is just Carr but they haven't played up to their abilities on that side of the ball. Adams is going to present major challenges to this defense and he lines up in the slot quite a bit so Ward won't be on him all that much. When he is on the outside, I expect a much of cover 2 man as that is your best bet against him because if you leave your corner on an island, they will get cooked. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Kinlaw get more time in and help against the run like he did last week. If Bosa can get two sacks again, that would be great and then I want to see how the Raiders attack Hufanga. He has allowed his fair share of TDs as of late but not all of them were his fault. Some good play designs, some just where the QB has all day and some where he just flat out missed his assignment. He needs to clean it up before the playoffs.

I think CMC once again gets a fairly light workload and unlike last week, Mason will be RB2 and do a lot of damage. Can Kittle continue his dominant play or will this be the week Aiyuk finally goes off with Purdy? Can McGlinchey hold his own at all against Mad Maxx? Does Purdy protect the ball or does he give a few up? Can the offense capitalize in the RZ unlike against the Commanders? Those are some of the things I am looking forward to.

SF 27

LV 17

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Viva Brock Vegas? Anyway, the 49ers should dominate the Raiders on the road plain and simple. Just hoping for no injuries to either team. They open as 5.5 point favorites. If the 49ers can get the W, and the Packers at home can beat the Vikings it would be a great weekend for Niners-Tribe. 

It wouldn't bother me if the Niners lost this game and stayed in the #3 spot b/c I'd rather play the #6 seed as opposed to the Packers should they get the #7 seed. Playing the Giants/Commanders is way easier than playing the Packers in a wildcard game regardless of previous history b/t the two clubs.

5 hours ago, NFL Network said:

It wouldn't bother me if the Niners lost this game and stayed in the #3 spot b/c I'd rather play the #6 seed as opposed to the Packers should they get the #7 seed. Playing the Giants/Commanders is way easier than playing the Packers in a wildcard game regardless of previous history b/t the two clubs.

Why? Are you afraid of Aaron Rodgers? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

BAGAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA WOW

Raiders are benching Carr. Amazing. Way to tank that trade value, Josh.. gotta get a look at Stidham! 🤣🤣

Don't think they can really trade Carr because of the below. He looks like a cut candidate

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/28/a-derek-carr-benching-would-be-a-clear-precursor-to-carr-being-cut/

Because the guarantees kick in before the start of the league year, the Raiders can’t officially trade Carr prior to the arrival of the relevant deadline. They can, in theory, work out a trade informally in advance of the vesting of the guarantees, with the trade becoming official once the league year opens in March.

It would be much more of a leap of faith than teams usually make when striking unenforceable trades. If the new team backs out, the Raiders would be holding a $40.4 million bag.

So the cleanest move would be to cut Carr. And the safest way to ensure that he won’t be owed another $40.4 million would be to bench him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why? Are you afraid of Aaron Rodgers? :)

I would much rather play against either Daniel Jones or Carson Wentz or even Tyler Hineken again. Aaron Rodgers scares me b/c when he's on he can pick apart a secondary and that's the only weakness in the Niners defense. I also don't like Brock Purdy being in a close game with the Packers as they have a good secondary that can cause problems if the Niners running game is not functioning. 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Don't think they can really trade Carr because of the below. He looks like a cut candidate

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/28/a-derek-carr-benching-would-be-a-clear-precursor-to-carr-being-cut/

They can trade him, the deal would be restructured. Most notably, Carr would have to agree to push his guarantee dates back and I'm sure the new team doesn't want to pay him that much, at least not in year 1. 

That said, someone in gen says he has a ntc, which probably kills any potential trade option. At that point he should hit the market and get best offer

• Like 1