Week 17: San Francisco 49ers at Las Vegas Raiders

TecmoSuperJoe

Moving on from Carr by itself is understandable, but they better have a good backup option for 2023

It looks like Brady, Jimmy G, Mayfield, or a trade for Mac are the most viable options. Not sure how the rookie class looks

Anyways, Sundays game SHOULD be an easy win now. Benching Carr is a long-term move, but short-term this likely kills their chances of being competitive 

Edited by 49ersfan

Stidham's first NFL start against the Niners' defense sounds good for us.  But, also, could be bad from a "no tape on him" perspective if he ends up playing well.

But, if it doesn't go well for him....  Does Bosa feast?  I think at the start of the season, the Raiders' Oline was ranked bottom 5 or so.  However, they've reworked that line quite a bit this year and improved to middle of the pack.  29 sacks taken, also middle of the pack pretty much.  The Oline can only do so much if Stidham is indecisive, though.

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.  

Edited by Ataal

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The 49ers cannot lose to Jared Stidham, and the Raiders seemingly packing it in. On top of the Derek Carr news I think they're also putting Denzel Perryman, and Chandler Jones on IR. 

Also there is this tidbit. Will be trending towards a home game for the 49ers in Vegas. 

How are they calculating this? People from Northern California buying tickets? Because at least half of those are Raider fans. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/29/darren-waller-the-only-productive-thing-is-to-support-jarrett-stidham-going-forward/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/29/davante-adams-derek-carr-gave-everything-he-had-hes-the-reason-im-a-raider/

“The only thing that’s productive is to support Jarrett going forward,” Waller said Wednesday, via Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “We’re rallying around him and letting him know we believe in him and doing what we can to prepare for San Francisco.”

“This man gave everything he had. The reason I’m a Raider,” Adams wrote. “One of the most disciplined and loving people I know. Got my bruddas back through whatever.”

Adams added a middle finger emoji that he said was directed at anyone who “can’t respect it.”

Raiders players sound thrilled that they benched Carr

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I was watching the game last week, and Carr was playing like crap.  He had multiple problems with his mechanics and he could hardly get spin on the ball.  It might be some kind of hand or finger injury, but his feet, hips, and hands were all off of his normal mechanics.  It was a major contrast watching Pickett's very pretty throwing motion compared to Carr's wonked out mechanics.  Carr deserved to be benched, he was missing everyone out there, and looked very uncomfortable.  I think the Raiders will be better with Stidham at QB.  I don't think it will improve them enough to beat the 49ers.  

I also think Carr will correct the problem, get a fresh start, and get back to his old self.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I doubt Deebo plays this week but I would like to see him get a few touches in the Cardinals game before the playoffs.

Agreed, I think he wants back to get some carries, cause he has 228 rush yards, if he can get to 380+, he'll earn $500K incentive, but I can see the 49ers giving Deebo a $500K signing bonus after the season, like they did with Sherman's $1M signing bonus in 2019 I believe.

6 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I was watching the game last week, and Carr was playing like crap.  He had multiple problems with his mechanics and he could hardly get spin on the ball.  It might be some kind of hand or finger injury, but his feet, hips, and hands were all off of his normal mechanics.  It was a major contrast watching Pickett's very pretty throwing motion compared to Carr's wonked out mechanics.  Carr deserved to be benched, he was missing everyone out there, and looked very uncomfortable.  I think the Raiders will be better with Stidham at QB.  I don't think it will improve them enough to beat the 49ers.  

I also think Carr will correct the problem, get a fresh start, and get back to his old self.  

I don't know that Stidham will be better, New England did everything in their power to keep him off the field lol, but I get why the raiders did this and the lack of tape and superior athleticism should help him, especially against this defense. I just don't know that he's very good at actually passing the ball, tbh. They should really hit the quick game hard, I imagine and lean on jacobs. 

I agree that I think Carr turns it around next year. Whatever happened this year, something just didn't fit. I think he'll probably be fine next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know that Stidham will be better, New England did everything in their power to keep him off the field lol, but I get why the raiders did this and the lack of tape and superior athleticism should help him, especially against this defense. I just don't know that he's very good at actually passing the ball, tbh. They should really hit the quick game hard, I imagine and lean on jacobs. 

I agree that I think Carr turns it around next year. Whatever happened this year, something just didn't fit. I think he'll probably be fine next year. 

It isn't really about stidham as it is Carr's poor play.  His throwing stoke was way off.  

JTO breaks down Carr.  I haven't watched it yet, but I can't imagine it being positive.

It is Odd listening to JTO talk about how to play QB.  How much fun would it be to go back and break down week 2 of 2008 in the exact same way. "Not sure why JTO decided to try to float the ball there, again.  This is a 7 step drop, you can't run backward, pivot, run further backward, then fumble.  Those type of mistakes cost the team."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Forge said:

The sharp and drastic movement in the money line supports your point.  After rewatching the game, he was spinning it ok, but his footwork was weird.  Listening to JTO talk about Carr leads me to believe his feet have always been weird.  

2 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Jimmy, Deebo, & Givens all ruled out, Hyder & Ambry questionable, no other injuries, other than Mitchell & Kalia Davis, I know they haven't opened the 21 day window for Mitchell, but did with Davis, wonder how he looks, if he'll be activated.

I kind of want to see Davis at least against Arizona, but I’m not a guy known for his patience. I would totally understand if the shut Davis down for the rest of the year to preserve a roster spot, but the fan in me wants to see him come out firing and be a part of this run.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I kind of want to see Davis at least against Arizona, but I’m not a guy known for his patience. I would totally understand if the shut Davis down for the rest of the year to preserve a roster spot, but the fan in me wants to see him come out firing and be a part of this run.

I hear ya, I have little patience, but I don't want him to come back too early, he tore his ACL last October, so unless he's 100%, don't activate him.

I wonder who they release if they do activate Davis, or when they activate Mitchell off of IR.