turtle28

Who should start vs CLE?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start vs CLE?

• Heinicke
    • Wentz
    • Howell
    • It doesn’t matter we aren’t making the playoffs

This won’t happen, but if I had my choice who was starting the rest of the season I’d say Sam Howell.

I really do think we’re just treading water as a mediocre football team w/ Heinicke or Wentz starting and while they’ll both get us in playoff contention, they’ll end up making huge mistakes in key moments and we’ll lose games we should win. 

For ex. each guy has a few of those this season. Wentz has the Det & Tennessee games we should’ve won. Heinicke has both Giants games & the Vikings games we should’ve won if he played just a little better & didn't turn the ball over at key times despite the awful officiating.

If that’s what you’re getting out of your two vets, I say see what Howell has to see if he may be the future starter next year. If he plays awful the you can  draft a QB in round 1 or 2, sign Jimmy G or bring the current band back for one more tour in 2023.

My hunch like @lavar703’s & many fans is that Howell will at worst be equal to Heinicke w/ a stronger arm. I see guys like Pickett & Purdy have success as rookies and I 100% believe that Howell can do the same and be a 65% for 200-250 yds for a TD or 2 w/ maybe one int while rushing for 20-50 ypg w/ a TD every once in a while.

Edited by turtle28

I voted Wentz.

As much as I like Heinicke, it's time to see if Wentz is worth keeping around next year or not.

Call it, "ironic redemption" if you will. He was in the same situation last year with the Colts.

Playoffs on the line, 2 games to go.

And he failed.

Then was jettison out of Indianapolis.

Same situation here. If he wins these last two games & possibly surprises in the Playoffs?

Maybe you keep him next year?

If he loses, he's gone.

I would start Wentz for 1 reason & 1 reason only.

Big plays! We need them & he can give them to us. I'm talking quick score drives.

Heinicke not only has not produced this for us, but has given defenses their own quick score drives from a Defensive standpoint.

Let's see what Wentz can do with 2 games left. Maybe we can score more than 20 points in these games & give our team a chance.

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

You ride Heinicke. He's won games that Wentz, a deer in the headlights QB, would not have. 

Just because he has a rough against the #1 defense in the league doesn't change anything for me. Play calling stunk, AGAIN, too. 

Wasn't even THAT rough. Two failed 4th down conversions and two huge plays given up by the defense was the entire swing of the game.

You ride Heinicke. He's won games that Wentz, a deer in the headlights QB, would not have. 

Just because he has a rough against the #1 defense in the league doesn't change anything for me. Play calling stunk, AGAIN, too. 

It was actually one of his better starts lol. Ron just wants Wentz back in there. The idea that we're going to score more points is hilarious as well. I don't think we scored 20 points once in Wentz last 4 starts. 

• Like 1

The play calling has been trash all year, other than maybe the one game against the eagles when they committed to the run, even though at times he tried to get cute still during that game. I still think if we can establish the run and play action off of that, Wentz is the better quarterback. If they drop back 40 times with him like they did, the offensive line just isn't good enough and we're screwed not matter who we play and who is playing quarterback. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Wasn't even THAT rough. Two failed 4th down conversions and two huge plays given up by the defense was the entire swing of the game.

So it was his fault that the OL couldn’t block well enough to get BRob in the end zone? Or that vs the NYG last week Terry was called for a bogus procedure call erasing a rushing TD by BRob in the 4th quarter?

I mean yes, Taylor hasn’t been great, but we all know it’s more than just him that isn’t going well on this offense the last 3 games. The run game hasn’t even been as consistent or the play caller has went away from the run in the 2nd half when it was working or in the red-zone when it’ll we needed it so the D couldn’t just tee off on the QB bc our crappy OL couldn’t protect him.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So it was his fault that the OL couldn’t block well enough to get BRob in the end zone? Or that vs the NYG last week Terry was called for a bogus procedure call erasing a rushing TD by BRob in the 4th quarter?

I mean yes, Taylor hasn’t been great, but we all know it’s more than just him that isn’t going well on this offense the last 3 games. The run game hasn’t even been as consistent or the play caller has went away from the run in the 2nd half when it was working or in the red-zone when it’ll we needed it so the D couldn’t just tee off on the QB bc our crappy OL couldn’t protect him.

I don't know what you're getting at in reply to mine.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know what you're getting at in reply to mine.

My point is that we keep going on long drives with Heinicke, we are actually moving the ball well. The issue is mostly bad play calling in the red-zone or mistakes by the OL, the one by Terry, the fumble by Heinicke vs the Giants & the OL not getting a big enough push to get BRob in the end-zone vs the 49ers on 2 short yardage runs from the 1 which took points off the board.

I don’t think a QB change fixes that. I’m fine either way with Heinicke or Wentz getting the start, it doesn’t matter much to me but I don’t think Wentz magically solves the turnover issues bc behind this OL he had the same problem & he certainly can’t solve the poor blocking in the red-zone (run & pass) or the penalties. 

A lot of Heinicke detractors have complained about the lack of scoring w/ Heinicke at QB, but we weren’t scoring much w/ Wentz at QB in his final 4 starts either:

vs Phila - 8 pts

vs Dallas - 10 pts

vs Tenn - 17 pts

vs Chi - 12 pts

So, people are going to sit here and tell Me that putting Wentz in is supposed to make this offense some kind of scoring juggernaut that it isn’t with Heinicke as the starter?

Sorry, not buying it.

No No No GIF

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My point is that we keep going on long drives with Heinicke, we are actually moving the ball well. The issue is mostly bad play calling in the red-zone or mistakes by the OL, the one by Terry, the fumble by Heinicke vs the Giants & the OL not getting a big enough push to get BRob in the end-zone vs the 49ers on 2 short yardage runs from the 1 which took points off the board.

I don’t think a QB change fixes that. I’m fine either way with Heinicke or Wentz getting the start, it doesn’t matter much to me but I don’t think Wentz magically solves the turnover issues bc behind this OL he had the same problem & he certainly can’t solve the poor blocking in the red-zone (run & pass) or the penalties. 

A lot of Heinicke detractors have complained about the lack of scoring w/ Heinicke at QB, but we weren’t scoring much w/ Wentz at QB in his final 4 starts either:

vs Phila - 8 pts

vs Dallas - 10 pts

vs Tenn - 17 pts

vs Chi - 12 pts

So, people are going to sit here and tell Me that putting Wentz in is supposed to make this offense some kind of scoring juggernaut that it isn’t with Heinicke as the starter?

Sorry, not buying it.

No No No GIF

So long story short, we agree?