Who should start vs CLE?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start vs CLE?

• Heinicke
    • Wentz
    • Howell
    • It doesn’t matter we aren’t making the playoffs

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

So it was his fault that the OL couldn’t block well enough to get BRob in the end zone? Or that vs the NYG last week Terry was called for a bogus procedure call erasing a rushing TD by BRob in the 4th quarter?

I mean yes, Taylor hasn’t been great, but we all know it’s more than just him that isn’t going well on this offense the last 3 games. The run game hasn’t even been as consistent or the play caller has went away from the run in the 2nd half when it was working or in the red-zone when it’ll we needed it so the D couldn’t just tee off on the QB bc our crappy OL couldn’t protect him.

Soooo, can't you say this exact same thing about Carson in his 6 starts? Or is it just for Taylor? Minus the procedure call of course. Plus the fact that we were getting away from running the ball in the 1st and 2nd halves of games. 

Well I’ll hope for the best and hope Carson plays well and we win out but I’m going to guess it will just be most of what we saw already. He’s a JAG at this point. It’s best for both parties to move on but here we are. A lame duck headcoach who pretty much single handily turned the tide of the game against the 49ers with his outrageous decision making benching the QB who probably saved his job so he can try Jeff George Jr. again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

A lame duck headcoach who pretty much single handily turned the tide of the game against the 49ers with his outrageous decision making benching the QB who probably saved his job so he can try Jeff George Jr. again. 

To be honest, was the decision to bench Heinicke, after two straight turnovers, outrageous? It was clear Heinicke wasn't getting the comeback done and was making it worse. I have advocated for our QBs to be benched for less.

Also, I think its crazy that people can't see how much of a better unit the QB has around him weeks 7-16 than weeks 1-6. The O-line has performed better (besides the last two weeks), the running game is happening, Scott Turner makes less stupid playcalls, not to mention the fact that the defense that we all had wrote off as garbage the first 6 weeks, turned it up to 10 during weeks 7-16. 

Honestly, I expect Wentz to throw for more yards and touchdowns than Heinicke. I expect him to take as many (and probably more) sacks as well. The thing I look forward to is not worrying if the QB can make the deep throws. The accuracy is probably a wash, but Wentz makes the throws that Heinicke struggles with look routine.

I do not want Wentz starting next year, or even on the team. For the rest of the season though, if I don't get to see Sam Howell, it should be Wentz. Heinicke has proven he isn't our best option right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Land said:

Soooo, can't you say this exact same thing about Carson in his 6 starts? Or is it just for Taylor? Minus the procedure call of course. Plus the fact that we were getting away from running the ball in the 1st and 2nd halves of games. 

The difference is we won more games with Heinicke. We were losing with Wentz. 

We got away from the run w/ Turner vs the Vikings, Giants twice & the 49ers too. It’s one of the reasons we lost those games.

Wentz took more bad sacks & that’s why we had to throw more. You usually throw when it’s 2nd or 3rd & 15 plus bc your QB held onto the ball too long & took a sack instead of throwing it away or hitting a check down.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

To be honest, was the decision to bench Heinicke, after two straight turnovers, outrageous? It was clear Heinicke wasn't getting the comeback done and was making it worse. I have advocated for our QBs to be benched for less.

Also, I think its crazy that people can't see how much of a better unit the QB has around him weeks 7-16 than weeks 1-6. The O-line has performed better (besides the last two weeks), the running game is happening, Scott Turner makes less stupid playcalls, not to mention the fact that the defense that we all had wrote off as garbage the first 6 weeks, turned it up to 10 during weeks 7-16. 

Honestly, I expect Wentz to throw for more yards and touchdowns than Heinicke. I expect him to take as many (and probably more) sacks as well. The thing I look forward to is not worrying if the QB can make the deep throws. The accuracy is probably a wash, but Wentz makes the throws that Heinicke struggles with look routine.

I do not want Wentz starting next year, or even on the team. For the rest of the season though, if I don't get to see Sam Howell, it should be Wentz. Heinicke has proven he isn't our best option right now.

I mean, I’m confused as to why all of these things were coincidental the moment Heinicke started playing? The OL, the playcalling, the running game etc all magically got better. We went from 2-4 with one guy starting to in playoff contention with the other. I am just not seeing the value Wentz brings other than he can throw far? What am I missing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Now wait a second. Jahan Dotson missed 5 of Heinicke’s 9 starts, so we need to quit acting like Heinicke had the full complement of weapons available in most of his starts bc he didn’t. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I’m confused as to why all of these things were coincidental the moment Heinicke started playing? The OL, the playcalling, the running game etc all magically got better. We went from 2-4 with one guy starting to in playoff contention with the other. I am just not seeing the value Wentz brings other than he can throw far? What am I missing? 

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Now wait a second. Jahan Dotson missed 5 of Heinicke’s 9 starts, so we need to quit acting like Heinicke had the full complement of weapons available in most of his starts bc he didn’t. 

See Scott Turner's play calling. IMMEDIATELY after Heinicke is installed as the QB, we go to a run first/clock management style offense. The entire team pretty much shifted philosophy. Also, the defense started playing better. Tell me the defense didn't improve from weeks 7-14.

This conversation doesn't really matter. Somehow people think that Taylor Heinicke being installed as the starting QB somehow MADE everyone be better at their jobs.

There have been several articles out there about how Taylor Heinicke is an average/below average QB that managed to not lose us games. I don't dislike the guy. I think his story is great. I have been super appreciative of him, but he isn't winning us games.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

See Scott Turner's play calling. IMMEDIATELY after Heinicke is installed as the QB, we go to a run first/clock management style offense. The entire team pretty much shifted philosophy. Also, the defense started playing better. Tell me the defense didn't improve from weeks 7-14.

This conversation doesn't really matter. Somehow people think that Taylor Heinicke being installed as the starting QB somehow MADE everyone be better at their jobs.

There have been several articles out there about how Taylor Heinicke is an average/below average QB that managed to not lose us games. I don't dislike the guy. I think his story is great. I have been super appreciative of him, but he isn't winning us games.

Not true, we ran the ball a lot in the Dallas game & in the Bears game in 2 of Wentz’s last 3 starts.

Vs Dallas we had 27 rushes for 142 yards.

Vs Chicago we had 28 rushes for 128 yards & our only TD w/ BRob getting his first TD in his career.

If Heinicke is a below average QB who just did enough to keep us from losing games then what does that say about Wentz that he was 2-4 as our starter?

Like, I’m pulling for him should he start, but isn’t that a bigger indictment on Wentz than even Heinicke?

Wentz just might be a below average starter as well who isn’t a winner. 

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not true, we ran the ball a lot in the Dallas game & in the Bears game in 2 of Wentz’s last 3 starts.

Vs Dallas we had 27 rushes for 142 yards.

Vs Chicago we had 28 rushes for 128 yards & our only TD w/ BRob getting his first TD in his career.

If Heinicke is a below average QB who just did enough to keep us from losing games then what does that say about Wentz that he was 2-4 as our starter?

Like, I’m pulling for him should he start, but isn’t that a bigger indictment on Wentz than even Heinicke?

Wentz just might be a below average starter as well who isn’t a winner. 

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

You cherry picked two games out of the six he started.

Also it should be noted that Carson got hurt, and that not him getting benched, was the reason Taylor got to play. 

Also he remained the starter when Wentz was healthy because how the team as a whole was playing, not his individual performances.

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You cherry picked two games out of the six he started.

Also it should be noted that Carson got hurt, and that not him getting benched, was the reason Taylor got to play. 

Also he remained the starter when Wentz was healthy because how the team as a whole was playing, not his individual performances.

Sir, I picked 2 games that were 2 of Wentz’s last 3 starts which means that we had already changed our philosophy to being a run first offense unless we had to throw bc we were behind in the 2nd half or were in long down & distances like in the Tenn, 49ers & Giant games.

Stop making excuses for how Wentz played most of the time as a starter. It’s getting old. Most people aren’t making excuses for Heinicke when his mistakes are his fault. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sir, I picked 2 games that were 2 of Wentz’s last 3 starts which means that we had already changed our philosophy to being a run first offense unless we had to throw bc we were behind in the 2nd half or were in long down & distances like in the Tenn, 49ers & Giant games.

Stop making excuses for how Wentz played most of the time as a starter. It’s getting old. Most people aren’t making excuses for Heinicke when his mistakes are his fault. 

This is factually incorrect. 

I will no longer engage in these futile conversation with people who fail to see that correlation does not imply causation.

• Like 1