Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

I've been fairly pleased with our new owners bu they really botched this one. To announce promoting Rosburg to interim HC and in the same breath start talking about a HC search is absurd.

I've been through this alot, not just with Denver but with other teams. The way it's done is simple. Announce your interim HC period. When someone asks about the next HC (they always do) the answer is (in our case) Jerry Rosburg is our HC. Next question. 

When the conversation should be around the job Rosburg is doing we'll be talking about Harbaugh, Payton, et al. 

Perhaps because at this point in time, this franchise needs at least a stabilizing force.

This much Harbaugh should be able to provide- while having more upside based on track record than other realistic CEO-type options like Quinn, Frazier.

Since Denver likely will not go the first-time HC route and Payton seems off the table, Harbaugh is the best candidate out of this year's pool, whether slam dunk or not.

Edited by BroncoinGermany

32 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Why does everyone like Harbaugh so much? I think he's a good potential candidate, but I'm struggling to understand why he's looked at as a slam dunk.

In four seasons in the NFL he went 13-3, 11-4-1, 13-3, 8-8. He made it to the conference championship game three times and the SB once. He’s coming from college so we wouldn’t need to trade a pick for him like you would with Payton.

Harbaugh is the best candidate bar none. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Why does everyone like Harbaugh so much? I think he's a good potential candidate, but I'm struggling to understand why he's looked at as a slam dunk.

I don’t think it takes much reading between the lines to surmise that Penner doesn’t want a first time HC. While a guy like Shane Steichen certainly intrigues me, for Penner to already come out and say, ‘the new coach will report to me’; are we really expecting him to empower a newbie coach, the kind of coach he just watched flame out in historic fashion from a front row seat, to that degree? Shane Steichen, equal organization footing as George Paton? Not only do I doubt Penner goes this route, I personally would hate it. 

So we're going "retread". The added bonus in going this way, especially if you’re getting an offensive coach, is that Penner is probably giving him enough power to put Russ in his place. And, well, how many available candidates with past experience have Harbaugh's résumé? Sean Payton would be great, as well, but the Brees offence with Russ at the helm doesn’t seem like a fit. I’d trust Payton to make some appropriate changes, but it’s impossible to expect Brees-level results. Add in the draft pick compensation required after giving up the farm for Russ, and he’s clearly the 2nd-best option. 

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

In four seasons in the NFL he went 13-3, 11-4-1, 13-3, 8-8. He made it to the conference championship game three times and the SB once. He’s coming from college so we wouldn’t need to trade a pick for him like you would with Payton.

Harbaugh is the best candidate bar none. 

He’s also a proven rebuilder. He made SDSU a contender and did the same at Stanford. The Niners were in purgatory with 8-straight losing seasons under Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary and Jim Tomsula before Harbaugh came in and turned it all around. He then brought Michigan back to national prominence. 

He’s a tone-setter, a leader and a culture builder, things that George and Mr Walmart said will be key traits. The only question really does Harbaugh want to coach here because they will hire him and pay him whatever if he wants the job. 

• Like 2

If the ownership group can throw enough money at Harbaugh to get him interested then by all means. I am not quite as sold on Payton and giving up more draft picks for a head coach when we have a lot of holes to patch up in the draft. I don't know many details surrounding Payton's retirement, but it does seem a bit self-serving to retire with your franchise in a tough place and cite it being time for personal reasons only to try and come back the very next year so you can have your choice of offers.  

• Like 1

I’m not going to re-hash the points others have made in greater detail  but trait-wise Harbaugh checks a lot of boxes that others have a hard time matching breadth-wise:

1.  Proven HC experience 

2.  Also would have status / security to be the guy driving the show and making Russell Wilson fully accountable.    Not a guy brought in mainly to solve Wilson’s problems.   You get Harbaugh you’re thinking not just during a Wilson era but a post-Wilson era too.  

3.  He wasn’t leaving SF except he lost a power struggle with GM Trent Baalke.    He’s always had an eye to return to the NFL.   

4.  He’s adaptable - his success at SF / Stanford / Michigan has come with using different O’s and philosophies.   

5.  He can recruit an excellent coaching staff from his wide range of connections.   

Now the one potential real negative - his experience with Baalke in SF clearly has him as a guy who wants control over the GM.  Can’t blame him if Baalke is the GM lol - but become the next HC with full personnel control - again, the record of sustained success starts and stops with BB.   Don’t get me wrong I think he’s out best HC candidate this cycle by a mile.  But the risk should be recognized.  In a perfect world he lets Paton continue to draft & roster build and works together than become the next czar.   

But even with the above risk the benefits outweigh the risks by a fair margin.   He’s still by the best candidate out of the guys realistically on our radar.   For bettor or worse Penner stripping Paton of his org-oversight role, along with the deep pockets ownership has, well it’s easy to see why Harbaugh-DEN is gaining so much steam.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I am clearly the minority, but I'm not that sold on Harbaugh. I completely acknowledge his past success. But he also wore out his welcome quickly and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. To be clear, I don't think he's the worst hire we can make. But a part of me feels like this is a move designed to appeal to casual fans more than anything to  gin up excitement for the team.

I'd make sure I understood clearly what the issues were in his last NFL tenure and what went wrong. He's been out of the league awhile. College coaches sometimes struggle if they don't treat professionals differently than the college kids. Not saying this will be an issue for Harbaugh but I think it should at least be mentioned.

I do view Harbaugh as the front runner for this gig for a number of reasons. It really depends if we wants to come here and what assurances he gets about Russ and his ability to make decisions on personnel. I am certain money won't be an issue.

• Like 1