Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

In the end I think it will be Harbaugh or Quinn. 

That’s what my gut tells me as well. As I’ve said, unless Quinn is bringing Kyle with him to be the OC, I foresee failure.

The guy is a career loser who was bolstered by a) a defense stacked with elite talent and a borderline HOF HC in Seattle, b) had a great OC & staff that went to a SB and blew the largest lead in history and now c) has a generational talent in Parsons and soft schedule on the always overhyped Cowboys (who will again lose in the first round this year).

If Dan Quinn and Vance Joseph traded places, it’d be Vance who’d have gotten/is getting all the hype as a hot HC candidate this and last cycle. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Looks like we’ll be talking to Sean Payton. This comes from Schefter so odds are it came from Payton’s agent, therefore reliable. 

I like Sean Payton, but we need to stop mortgaging draft picks. The Wilson deal made sense. This does not. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I like Sean Payton, but we need to stop mortgaging draft picks. The Wilson deal made sense. This does not. 

It’s PR for the Walmarts. Just like the new grass. They’re trying to demonstrate they’re committed to winning. I appreciate the effort, but as is always said, the proof is in the pudding. If they hire the right head coach, I’ll give them some credit. 

If they hire the right coach you’ll give them some credit? Wtf does that even mean? I’m dying to know who they’d have to hire to give them full credit.

You’ve got to interview Payton and see what he says at the very least. I doubt we go that route due to the compensation factor and I’m not sure we should part with a couple picks to hire him. 

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

If they hire the right coach you’ll give them some credit? Wtf does that even mean? I’m dying to know who they’d have to hire to give them full credit.

You’ve got to interview Payton and see what he says at the very least. I doubt we go that route due to the compensation factor and I’m not sure we should part with a couple picks to hire him. 

I wasn’t intentionally using “some” as a means to convey “only some.” Should have just said “if the Walmarts make a good hire, I’ll give them credit.”

Putting in new grass, a new Jumbotron, new suites to schmooze their corporate sponsors makes for nice PR. Since Mr Walmart decided to take charge of the coaching search, I’ll give credit for a good hire and blame for a bad one. Why not?

Everyone wanted to hang George for the Russ trade and the Hackett hire. I’ll be curious to see the reaction to Mr Walmarts choice, however it ends up. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

Probably puts any slim chance of Payton coming here to bed if this happens.

I’m not sure this changes much. The Rams are in an even worse mess that Payton left the Saints in. Best players on the verge of retiring, draft picks traded away, cap room mortgaged already. They’re going to need a ground up rebuild job.

Only thing going for them is he apparently wants to be in LA but that report came out a couple months ago when LAC were far from a lock to make the playoffs and Staley’s job could have been on the line. Payton and Justin Herbert was a match made in heaven, but that options gone now with them having a great December and Staley earning himself a 3rd year.

My *guess* is that he will wait it out one more year and see which HC gets himself fired out of Staley in LAC, McCarthy in Dallas or even back to the Saints. 

I’d be surprised if he comes to Denver but even more surprised if he takes that Rams job with Stafford and Donald right at the end of their careers. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I’m not sure this changes much. The Rams are in an even worse mess that Payton left the Saints in. Best players on the verge of retiring, draft picks traded away, cap room mortgaged already. They’re going to need a ground up rebuild job.

Only thing going for them is he apparently wants to be in LA but that report came out a couple months ago when LAC were far from a lock to make the playoffs and Staley’s job could have been on the line. Payton and Justin Herbert was a match made in heaven, but that options gone now with them having a great December and Staley earning himself a 3rd year.

My *guess* is that he will wait it out one more year and see which HC gets himself fired out of Staley in LAC, McCarthy in Dallas or even back to the Saints. 

I’d be surprised if he comes to Denver but even more surprised if he takes that Rams job with Stafford and Donald right at the end of their careers. 

To be fair, he extended things forever in NO under the same cloud.   The one thing he'd get in LA if the core all disappeared is patience & time.    And even though Ramsey was terrible and Donald missed so much time - the D was actually still a good unit (sound familiar lol?).     If he really wants to live there and be on the WC, this may be his only window.    Unless DAL screws the pooch and has an early exit (which is entirely possible), seems like McCarthy is safe for this year (even with sky-high expectations).

I'm right there with you on not wanting Payton at all.   It's not just that we'd have to spend a 1st + on a HC - it's we'd be spending it on a guy who just called it quits with an org when the butcher's bill came due.   That's NOT a guy you spend 1st round pick+ capital on IMO.

Edited by Broncofan

It's truly a garbage fire if we get Sean Payton imo. Let's just pretend he becomes the Russ whisperer and gets Russ back to top 10 qb (but at the cost of this and next years 1st rounders). Does anyone here really think we are winning a sb with that? That's BEST case scenario. 

Meanwhile Payton is getting up there in age as well as russ which means we mortgaged our entire drafted roster for 2 or 3 year AT BEST sb window and then back to the drawing board...3-5 years of rebuild.

How tf...is that better than just getting Quinn, seeing what happens but keeping our picks, having George Paton keep killing it in the draft, and potentially having the best chance at both worlds now? It's lunacy and if Walmarts really do trade large draft capital for Sean...I just don't see me supporting this team for the foreseeable future

Edited by Dbrog24

11 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’m going to be so pissed if we trade away what little draft capital we have left to bring in a head coach 🤨

Same here. A first round pick PLUS MORE the report says. And even worse, the Walmarts are fine with that price. I guess they’re taking a cue from the Rams f— those draft picks strategy. SMH. 

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

How tf...is that better than just getting Quinn, seeing what happens but keeping our picks, having George Paton keep killing it in the draft, and potentially having the best chance at both worlds now? It's lunacy and if Walmarts really do trade large draft capital for Sean...I just don't see me supporting this team for the foreseeable future

Because, as I’ve said 1000x now, Quinn is proven a loser as HC without Kyle & Co running his offense. 

I’m with you on being against giving up the farm for Payton but Quinn, even without the compensation, is not a superior choice. Payton is at least a proven HC and a winner. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Because, as I’ve said 1000x now, Quinn is proven a loser as HC without Kyle & Co running his offense. 

I’m with you on being against giving up the farm for Payton but Quinn, even without the compensation, is not a superior choice. Payton is at least a proven HC and a winner. 

Never said Quinn would be good. He's just the only name I've seen the Walmarts go after that doesn't require draft compensation (if its true harbaugh staying in Michigan).

You could insert any coach into my scenario and I'm good with it. I'm assuming we WILL suck next year which means good draft pick for a rookie qb that will allow Wilson's contract to not really matter much as rook will sit behind him or we take huge dead cap hit (which wont matter cause of rookie contracts in 2024 and 25)

• Like 1

Bill Belichick was a “proven loser” in Cleveland. Mike Shanahan was a “proven loser” in Oakland. Gary Kubiak was a “proven loser” in Houston. 

I’m not saying Quinn will definitely win a SB here but I do think he will stabilize this franchise and has SB potential as a HC. I like the way he ran the Falcons despite having a GM trying to do things the “patriot way” 

If the dolphins do the dysfunctional thing and fire Mike McDaniel I’d love to grab him. They (Quinn and McDaniel), Harbaugh, and Raheem Morris, are my top 4. 

i absolutely do not want another first time HC. It just so rarely goes well and never goes well with an established QB with an EGO like we have. 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 1