Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

It’s no secret that I prefer 2nd time HCs. In the last 3 decades of the “modern” NFL the majority of SBs have been won by 2nd time HCs because there’s no willingness to let people learn on the job any more. Like I said above, I liked what McDaniel has done in Miami so if they do the dysfunctional thing and fire him I’d be very intrigued but until then, here are my top 3 in no particular order

Dan Quinn I want people who have struggled and succeeded. Who have failed on their way to the top. That means that they learn and grow. We saw with Hackett that he couldn’t handle that. Any business, and especially pro sports, is constantly evolving. I want a coach who has shown they can too. Quinn has done that. He has ties to Evero so the D could continue to gel. Additionally I love that his preferred O scheme seems to be the Shanahan WCO and the guy rumored to be his OC last year if he got a job was Klint Kubiak.

Raheem Morris: another 2nd time HC (3rd if you count his interim time after he took over for Quinn in ATL). Has coaching experience on both sides of the ball. Currently the DC of the Rams and has a great working relationship Evero. Again his preferred O is the Shanahan WCO. 

Jim Harbaugh: He’s had success everywhere he’s gone…until he’s let his ego get in the way and left town with ruined working relationships in his wake. Granted he’s seemed to have done better in Michigan so perhaps that’s some of that learning from failure I was talking about earlier? Again he has a working relationship with Evero which is great. I’m confident that he would not let Russ walk all over him the way Hackett did, but could those 2 egos coexist?

The Seans: I don’t like the idea of giving up 1st round draft picks for coaches. Especially ones that leave their teams when things get tough after years of kicking their problems down the road. No HC has ever won a SB with 2 different teams. Do these guys, each with a single Lombardi despite their “cap creativity” seem like the one to become the first to do so? 

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Bill Belichick was a “proven loser” in Cleveland. Mike Shanahan was a “proven loser” in Oakland. Gary Kubiak was a “proven loser” in Houston. 

I’m not saying Quinn will definitely win a SB here but I do think he will stabilize this franchise and has SB potential as a HC. I like the way he ran the Falcons despite having a GM trying to do things the “patriot way” 

If the dolphins do the dysfunctional thing and fire Mike McDaniel I’d love to grab him. They (Quinn and McDaniel), Harbaugh, and Raheem Morris, are my top 4. 

i absolutely do not want another first time HC. It just so rarely goes well and never goes well with an established QB with an EGO like we have. 

Regarding Mike, BB and Kubes, all 3 were in what were at least somewhat dysfunctional organizations. The Browns fired BB in the midst of the move to Baltimore and Art Modell was an awful owner who was, by that point, pretty senile. Nothing needs to be said about Al Davis during Mike’s time there. Houston was kind of a mess as well, not as bad as the other two. Atlanta on the other hand, even with a “Patriot Way” FO didn’t operate in the same fashion as say, the Lions did under Bob Quinn/Matt Patricia or Houston has with Easterby/Caserio. Arthur Blank is also a pretty serious owner who spends and doesn’t meddle. We could make a worse choice than Dan Quinn, I’ll concede that, but gap between Harbaugh/Payton and the other experienced HC candidates is considerable. I am with you on Mike McDaniel, I’d take him here in a heartbeat. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

I know Rosburg has little to no chance of becoming our head coach next year. But it can't be overstated how much we as a fanbase as well as those players owe that man for the job he did the last two weeks. He may have single handedly changed the trajectory of this entire franchise moving forward. Think about it.. If you're a bigtime coach and all you had to to evaluate this team was their first 15 games of the season, do you have any interest at all in coming here? Knowing you're chained to Russell Wilson at the hip for better or worse? Hell no, you don't. 

Up until 2 weeks ago, this dumpster fire of a team looked like one of the most unattractive job prospects in the entire league. If it weren't for Rosburg, the world would have never known just how much Hackett was to blame for this mess. As it stands, I would be very interested in coming here if I'm coach Harbaugh. There's every chance in the world that doesn't happen if it isn't for Jerry Rosburg. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

This is very hopeful re: Harbaugh.   I think it’s either Denver or a return back to Michigan.  No picks and only ownership $?   No brainer.

Fingers crossed. 

Very interesting that Harbaugh was the one initiating talks with Carolina. That implies he’s looking seriously at jumping back to the pros. This isn’t leverage for a new Michigan contract, he already played that hand last winter. 

45 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Very interesting that Harbaugh was the one initiating talks with Carolina. That implies he’s looking seriously at jumping back to the pros. This isn’t leverage for a new Michigan contract, he already played that hand last winter. 

Yeah that was a weird report. Goes to the second richest NFL owner and basically asks for a solid? I mean WTF.  

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah that was a weird report. Goes to the second richest NFL owner and basically asks for a solid? I mean WTF.  

After Tepper whiffed on Rhule that was going to be a tough ask (yes Harbaugh is NFL proven but the stench still lingers in CAR).    I think Steichen is the guy on Tepper’s radar FWIW.  

11 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It’s no secret that I prefer 2nd time HCs. In the last 3 decades of the “modern” NFL the majority of SBs have been won by 2nd time HCs because there’s no willingness to let people learn on the job any more. Like I said above, I liked what McDaniel has done in Miami so if they do the dysfunctional thing and fire him I’d be very intrigued

If my life depended on an offence going on a TD drive, Mike McDaniel would be my #1 choice to lead that drive from the sideline. However, I would have serious questions about how much he knew about Tua’s concussions this season. Pretty clearly there was serious incompetence (at best) regarding his head injuries, and I’d wanna be damn sure McDaniel had little to no role in sending him back on the field with any question marks whatsoever. 

If we trade valuable draft capital for Sean Payton, I'm going to be furious. First off, I'm not even sure he's a great coach. I think he's a very good one, sure. He's objectively a terrible personnel guy, as evidenced by the fact he left the Saints in absolute cap hell for years with a marginal team and no picks.

I'd say thanks but no thanks. Unless the compensation to the Saints was a boatload of Walmart money, we have too many holes to fill. I'd rather have Harbaugh over Payton any day. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Saw somewhere that we requested to interview Dan Quinn. I wonder how many candidates we'll end up interviewing. Hoping it'll end up being 6 or 7. 

We've now requested:

• Sean Payton
  • Ejiro Evero
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Dan Quinn
  • DeMeco Ryans
  • Raheem Morris

I would expect maybe one or two more. Could see Leslie Frazier, Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, added to the list.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

We've now requested:

• Sean Payton
  • Ejiro Evero
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Dan Quinn
  • DeMeco Ryans
  • Raheem Morris

I would expect maybe one or two more. Could see Leslie Frazier, Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, added to the list.

I really like that list sans Payton (and for him it’s 100% the draft capital that would be required to get him). Ryans will be a hell of a coach, but may take a year or two to grow into the role and I’m not sure our ownership/fan base has that kind of patience, especially with our $250M man on the decline. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

We've now requested:

• Sean Payton
  • Ejiro Evero
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Dan Quinn
  • DeMeco Ryans
  • Raheem Morris

Not surprised to hear any of those names, I expected those.

Klis said last week he doesn’t think Reich will be a candidate for HC. Frazier interviewed here in Elway’s first search, the one that landed Fox, and he has ties to George from Minnesota, with George on the staff that fired him so if he’s not interviewed I wouldn’t be surprised, could be awkward for both. Steichen I haven’t heard too much about as regards us, other teams he is getting a lot of buzz, not as much here.

Truthfully, unless someone just blows them away, they’re going to go Harbaugh/Payton or Quinn, in that order. The Arizona job opening could be enticing to both Payton and Harbaugh as they also have a GM opening creating a Kyle/John like situation where the HC picks his GM.