Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Feels like Harbaugh as plan A (after Payton inevitably focuses elsewhere) and Quinn as plan B.  
All the beat guys are harping about experience, experience, experience.  
Ryans and Evero fill the Rooney requirement but don’t have HC experience and Morris would be a surprising choice for an ownership group seemingly set on making a splash.

Ryans and Morris fill the RR requirement,  Evero doesn’t count as he’s an internal candidate. 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah when I read Greg Roman might be part of the plan that gave me pause. 

As much as I want Harbaugh on board - there's zero chance I could back Roman as an OC choice.    

Roman is an innovator when it comes to designing complex running attacks where the QB is a major weapon.   What BAL does is literally unmatched there.   But when D's can stop the run, the pass game is just too simplistic.

Until I hear Harbaugh wants Roman, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt it's just click-bait, and not actually based on a DEN scenario.   Roman was brought in 2017 as an assistant, but didn't become the OC until Lamar Jackson was the starter in 2019.   That shows Harbaugh’s brother was willing to adapt the system to Lamar's running ability, not that they fit Lamar into Roman's system.   Roman's weaknesses don't match at all with what Russ can do (yes he can run when needed, but it's not the staple).   

Given Roman's strengths / weaknesses, I would be shocked if Harbaugh thought he was the fit for Russell Wilson.  I'll believe that when more solid sources confirm that's the actual choice.

Edited by Broncofan

42 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Ryans and Morris fill the RR requirement,  Evero doesn’t count as he’s an internal candidate. 

Man, they got Raheem Morris as the 2nd Rooney external interview.   Another A+ candidate.  Not a retread...so refreshing.

TBH, Quinn would be the most vanilla choice, but those are ALL excellent candidates.   Obv Payton is dead last because H#LL NO on the draft pick compensation, but really, that's an A+ list.   I suspect Steichen wasn't added simply because he's not interested with Wilson, but wants a young QB to groom.   

I don't have any illusions Morris/Ryans/Evero have a serious shot because ownership wants the experienced HC, but out of the coordinator candidates who fit the Rooney requirements, IMO they picked the best ones (a nod to the CIN DC Anarumo as well).    This would be the 2022 equivalent of having put McDaniel / Daboll / O'Connell on the interview list last year IMO, and not going Jim Caldwell / Leslie Frazier / Eric Bienemy.

This honestly gives me a LOT more confidence in the ownership / Paton combo so far.   Honestly, Quinn & Payton (Due to the cost alone) are by far the least interesting options.  Given we likely want to go with established past HC, it's still Harbaugh by a mile, but the list is so encouraging to what the FO is thinking org-wise.

Edited by Broncofan

Something not to be discounted in this search, in contrast the post-Kubiak/post-Peyton searches is ownership stability and ownership money. Ellis was just steering the proverbial ship, he didn’t have the means or authority to make a major course correction and we had next to no money to spend. 

Now, while Walmarts aren’t football people, they are rich-as-f***-non football people. That will make the job more attractive regardless of the roster, cap, draft pick, etc., as candidates see owners who can and will spend. 

I’ll caution, the same thing applied to David Tepper. But then he fires a widely respected Ron Rivera mid season absent controversy and with a locker room that loved him.

Now, Rivera might have been past his prime and even deserving of the axe at seasons end, but the winningest coach in team history, who brought them to a SB, was 2x COY, had the locker room, etc., etc., etc., was fired in a classless manner by Tepper, a billionaire with NO football experience. At the time, I warned that move would backfire.

Rivera could have been let go at season’s end, with a presser and proper, polite, amicable sendoff. Tepper went the other route, and then hired a college coach to a HUGE contract, then fired him less than halfway into said contract because he could pay it. 

The moral of the story is that, like Tepper, the Walmarts can spend and spend and spend, on new grass, on new Jumbotrons, on luxury suites, and for whatever and however much their candidate of choice wants, and thus make the job very attractive, but they only get a few chances to do it right without being looked at as blank checks who are impatient or over handed or out of their depth and then NO ONE will want to work for absent a lack of options. 

If the Walmart’s hire doesn’t work out that time, they’ll blame George and likely get another chance, even from this fanbase. After that, all bets are off.

• Like 2

Vegas increasingly convinced it's going to be Harbaugh - he's now the favorite at +175 today after going down to +200 just before the weekend, Quinn drops to +300 (LOL at the entire list, Bevell at +500).  Plus more online chatter as well.   Fingers crossed in a massive way.

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder why Rosebud isn't getting a look? I like that dude.

Same. I know they want to go with experience this time but like.. He took over a team he had never coached. Had one week to evaluate his players, half of whom were injured and then formulate a game plan to take on the Chiefs at home. In January. And we came within a stone’s throw of beating them. Then he follows that up the next week with a legit win against the Chargers. 

I’ve been around a lot of different sports in my life. ‘Average’ coaches don’t pull things like that off. I’m sorry, they just don’t. Especially at the professional level. I really wish they had fired Hackett after the bye week. I would have liked to see what Rosburg could have done with a 5-7 game sample size. I just have a really bad feeling in my gut that we may have lightning in a bottle there, and we’re getting ready to pitch it out the window. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Same. I know they want to go with experience this time but like.. He took over a team he had never coached. Had one week to evaluate his players, half of whom were injured and then formulate a game plan to take on the Chiefs at home. In January. And we came within a stone’s throw of beating them. Then he follows that up the next week with a legit win against the Chargers. 

I’ve been around a lot of different sports in my life. ‘Average’ coaches don’t pull things like that off. I’m sorry, they just don’t. Especially at the professional level. I really wish they had fired Hackett after the bye week. I would have liked to see what Rosburg could have done with a 5-7 game sample size. I just have a really bad feeling in my gut that we may have lightning in a bottle there, and we’re getting ready to pitch it out the window. 

Great post, couldn't agree more.

I just took my first run into town for supplies since October and watched my first Broncos game live this year. Last week I watched the entire tape of the game. I wouldn't trade any coach on the HC list for Evero. The guy is a genius. Watching what he does with formations, coverages and almost a flowing front 7 is crazy. He can provide the identity Joe Collier did for us decades ago. 

That was as talent depleted a unit as I've seen but like Vic, he can raise their output beyond their abilities. Any scenario they come up with that doesn't include him is a developing nightmare. That kid can and should be our future. 

We're looking for an identity and path forward and Rosburg showed it to us. Solid game management, strong defense and an old school WCO, good ST's, inspired football and a win over a quality opponent. I doubt you could talk him into returning for more than a year or two but this franchise could use that stability. 

We just took a team last year that needed just a few pieces, then through the baby out with the bathwater. Used a sledgehammer when we needed a scalpel. Now instead of learning from that mistake it seems like everyone wants to do it again.

We found some gems out of it and stopped the bleeding with a few good firings. 

So, let Rosburg be a solid place holder for a year or two, give Outen and Kubiak a chance with Wilson, give Evero another year or two as a DC.  Lock up our good staff, spend whatever it takes on an outstandng OL coach and use FA to beef up our OL/DL. We need a better training department. Just way to many soft tissue injuries. 

Stability is a requirement for every successful franchise and we've lost it. 

Whether or not we agree, @broncos67 made a great point. If we're playing good football and winning the fan base won't care who's coaching. Rosburg just delivered the two best HC performances we've seen since Kubiak was here. 

Why not let him continue that, I think he's earned it, and find out what we've actually got with good coaching instead of blowing it all up to try and start again? For the right number I'm sure he could be enticed.

Sorry 'bout being so wordy. I'll shut up now.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

Well the interview process started today.   Harbaugh first. 

Before ppl wonder why it’s virtual - live in person interviews for external candidates under contract  aren’t allowed this week.   Jan 17 is the first day that’s allowed.   Expect the short list external candidates to meet ownership / Paton then.   

Edited by Broncofan

Penner/Paton not messing around - Evero in-person today (internal candidates aren't subject to the Jan 17 restriction).   

At least 1 of Ryans/Morris will have to be in-person - it will be telling to see what other external candidates get a virtual interview this week, and who gets live in-person meetings (obv Ryans isn't going to get a lot of time this week with SF prepping for a playoff game).

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Vegas increasingly convinced it's going to be Harbaugh - he's now the favorite at +175 today after going down to +200 just before the weekend, Quinn drops to +300 (LOL at the entire list, Bevell at +500).  Plus more online chatter as well.   Fingers crossed in a massive way.

Worth noting Harbaugh was odds on at one point a year ago to be the Raiders HC, so take the betting odds with a pinch of salt.

There’s absolutely no doubt he wants back in the league. His camp were leaking all sorts of stuff about him going to the Raiders last year, and then when we made the terrible decision to go with McDaniels (*shudder*) instead he jumped straight into pimping himself out for the Vikings job, which he was also ultimately rejected for. So I do think as soon as he gets an NFL offer he’ll jump at the chance. I just think Denver might be wise to look at some of these other candidates first as well, because as some of you have pointed out above, it’s a pretty strong list of candidates - certainly more so than last year’s batch of HC interviewees.

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Great post, couldn't agree more.

I just took my first run into town for supplies since October and watched my first Broncos game live this year. Last week I watched the entire tape of the game. I wouldn't trade any coach on the HC list for Evero. The guy is a genius. Watching what he does with formations, coverages and almost a flowing front 7 is crazy. He can provide the identity Joe Collier did for us decades ago. 

That was as talent depleted a unit as I've seen but like Vic, he can raise their output beyond their abilities. Any scenario they come up with that doesn't include him is a developing nightmare. That kid can and should be our future. 

We're looking for an identity and path forward and Rosburg showed it to us. Solid game management, strong defense and an old school WCO, good ST's, inspired football and a win over a quality opponent. I doubt you could talk him into returning for more than a year or two but this franchise could use that stability. 

We just took a team last year that needed just a few pieces, then through the baby out with the bathwater. Used a sledgehammer when we needed a scalpel. Now instead of learning from that mistake it seems like everyone wants to do it again.

We found some gems out of it and stopped the bleeding with a few good firings. 

So, let Rosburg be a solid place holder for a year or two, give Outen and Kubiak a chance with Wilson, give Evero another year or two as a DC.  Lock up our good staff, spend whatever it takes on an outstandng OL coach and use FA to beef up our OL/DL. We need a better training department. Just way to many soft tissue injuries. 

Stability is a requirement for every successful franchise and we've lost it. 

Whether or not we agree, @broncos67 made a great point. If we're playing good football and winning the fan base won't care who's coaching. Rosburg just delivered the two best HC performances we've seen since Kubiak was here. 

Why not let him continue that, I think he's earned it, and find out what we've actually got with good coaching instead of blowing it all up to try and start again? For the right number I'm sure he could be enticed.

Sorry 'bout being so wordy. I'll shut up now.

The issue with Evero is that I think he gets an HC gig this year, as he should.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the only interview he has is with us. But I haven’t heard who Arizona is talking to, my guess is they’ll hire a GM first since Kiem stepped down. 

I think Evero sticks around here as DC for another year personally, provided the coach wants him around. Players seem to like him, he's clearly respected in the building. Get to keep continuity with the strongest unit on the team. He replicates the success, he's probably a HC next year (and we get a pick). Win-win.

• Like 3