Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The Broncos didn't mortgage the future on Wilson. I do not get why people keep repeating this line. I know you know more about football than this. They recovered an R1 pick with the Chubb trade. We have 3 picks in the top 70 of the draft. After this year, if we really wanted to we could eat the cap charge and dump Russ. Unlikely, but possible.

Will have plenty of cap space once players are released, contracts restructured etc...

You think giving up #9 and #40 in 2022 and #5 overall and #37 in 2023 doesn't impact the franchises future?

The only way the Wilson trade ever makes sense is if it ends in a Super Bowl. And Wilson is the 3rd best QB currently in the AFC West.

Yes, you can overcome it financially, but the fact they still don't have an answer at QB and no top picks to pursue one. This is a perfect example of mortgaging your future.

They went all in on Wilson, will get middling results before he's eventually gone and then back to the drawing board looking for a QB. 

Would you rather have Wilson right now, or all those picks to get a true QBOTF?

38 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Who is the QBOTF in 2023 NFL Draft ??

The true QBOTF will be Caleb Williams in 2024. But the other....nobody knows !!!!!!

Agree there. I like the 2024 class better than this years. 

QBOTF is subjective. Nobody knows, but in the case of the Broncos everybody knows it's not a soon to 35 year old Russell Wilson was my point. 

Sean Payton to return to Denver this week for a second interview. 

A couple of the beat guys have been saying for a while now that the Walmarts will do a second interview with between 1-3 finalists, this is the first of the finalists whose name has leaked out. 

As I’ve said for a while now, I believe the Walmarts are going to go for a big name, thinking it will show the fans and the rest of the league how serious they are about their role as owners of a premier franchise. Problem is, they don’t know football, and while Payton is a big name, he might not be the best HC, as many do you have outlined, and the odds are we will have to give up a 1st and, Renck thinks likely a 3rd as well, to get him. 

Hiring Payton would be a desperation move IMO with the goal of winning now (sound familiar, Joe Ellis?) and if it doesn’t work this fan base will turn on the Walmarts faster than they swarm the sale bin during a blue light special. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sean Payton to return to Denver this week for a second interview. 

A couple of the beat guys have been saying for a while now that the Walmarts will do a second interview with between 1-3 finalists, this is the first of the finalists whose name has leaked out. 

As I’ve said for a while now, I believe the Walmarts are going to go for a big name, thinking it will show the fans and the rest of the league how serious they are about their role as owners of a premier franchise. Problem is, they don’t know football, and while Payton is a big name, he might not be the best HC, as many do you have outlined, and the odds are we will have to give up a 1st and, Renck thinks likely a 3rd as well, to get him. 

Hiring Payton would be a desperation move IMO with the goal of winning now (sound familiar, Joe Ellis?) and if it doesn’t work this fan base will turn on the Walmarts faster than they swarm the sale bin during a blue light special. 

Bang on AAA.  I am so hoping that Jones fires McCarthy and makes a play for Payton, landing him.  That would help us out immensely imo.  We cant go into this draft starting our draft with round 4.  Thats just insane and what free agents would come here even with Payton?  Truly and sadly - just a mess, just a nightmare............  

• Like 2

Let me say this much, I do think Sean Payton is a good football coach, maybe even a very good football coach. Sure he has his warts but I think he’s a better HC than Dan Quinn, David Shaw, Raheem Morris and Jim Caldwell. I’m not sure he is a better HC than DeMeco Ryans will be or even than Ejero Evero will be. 

What bothers me, however, is the process the Walmarts have used. And the capital we will have to give up, which seems to be settling on the 1st and at least one 3rd. 

They let George in on the first interview round but now are freezing him out of the second, relegating him to giving a facilities tour and answering questions while Greg, his wife and her father, (the money man) who couldn’t even pronounce the NFL Commissioner’s name correctly, and have ZERO football experience, make the decision.

And yes, George screwed up hiring Hackett and then allowing Hackett to hire essentially a rookie staff with some nepotism hires. But he has 20 more years of experience in the NFL than the Walmarts have combined. 

And yes it’s their money so it’s within their “right” but isn’t the mark of a good exec one whom surrounds themselves with the right people, relies upon this advice and makes the final call? They’ve even frozen out Condi, the only one with a smattering of football experience, so it’s three people who inherited their money trying to pick a NFL head coach and essentially giving him the keys to the car since they neutered George.

They think making the “splash hire,” which Payton no doubt would be, is what’s best because it will create buzz and win media and casual fan adulation.

It’s also, and savvy, well-informed football fans like us know the truth, the Hail Mary attempt at a short term fix - who cares about draft picks (see Walmart family relative Stan Kroenke) when we have Russ, a nice defense, some pieces at the skill positions on offense and some cap space? Draft picks, we don’t need no stinkin’ draft picks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Let me say this much, I do think Sean Payton is a good football coach, maybe even a very good football coach. Sure he has his warts but I think he’s a better HC than Dan Quinn, David Shaw, Raheem Morris and Jim Caldwell. I’m not sure he is a better HC than DeMeco Ryans will be or even than Ejero Evero will be. 

What bothers me, however, is the process the Walmarts have used. And the capital we will have to give up, which seems to be settling on the 1st and at least one 3rd. 

They let George in on the first interview round but now are freezing him out of the second, relegating him to giving a facilities tour and answering questions while Greg, his wife and her father, (the money man) who couldn’t even pronounce the NFL Commissioner’s name correctly, and have ZERO football experience, make the decision.

And yes, George screwed up hiring Hackett and then allowing Hackett to hire essentially a rookie staff with some nepotism hires. But he has 20 more years of experience in the NFL than the Walmarts have combined. 

And yes it’s their money so it’s within their “right” but isn’t the mark of a good exec one whom surrounds themselves with the right people, relies upon this advice and makes the final call? They’ve even frozen out Condi, the only one with a smattering of football experience, so it’s three people who inherited their money trying to pick a NFL head coach and essentially giving him the keys to the car since they neutered George.

They think making the “splash hire,” which Payton no doubt would be, is what’s best because it will create buzz and win media and casual fan adulation.

It’s also, and savvy, well-informed football fans like us know the truth, the Hail Mary attempt at a short term fix - who cares about draft picks (see Walmart family relative Stan Kroenke) when we have Russ, a nice defense, some pieces at the skill positions on offense and some cap space? Draft picks, we don’t need no stinkin’ draft picks. 

Probably, (without a doubt?) the three most qualified to help in that process would be Capers, Kollar and Rosburg. Any info on whether or not they're being consulted?

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Fwiw, I concur.  I think most of us think Payton is the best coaching prospect currently available but no way at the cost associated with him.  And is it just me......  maybe this team needs to get away from all the "sexy" crap so to speak and just come down to earth.  Get somebody akin to Fox who brought some stability and direction to us before he finally got punted (and he should have got punted when he did).   Lets become normal again and proceed cautiously ahead.    Maybe slowly but surely we begin to right this sinking ship.  Don't want to be the Lions 2.0.  I've been watching that horror show for basically 45 years.  At least they're finally turning it around and that alleviates some pain for me as I live right across the river and so enjoy all the Detroit teams but not like my broncos!!

• Like 2

So, I can't help but think Brees had an inordinate effect on Paytons record so did some checking. Prior to coming to NO as HC, Sean had worked 9 years in the NFL as asst HC, QB coach and OC. During that time his offenses ranked as high as 15th only twice 30th once and an average ranking of 21st.

He took over the Saints in 2006 with a new QB, Drew Brees, coming off his 1st pro bowl appearance. For the next 15 years the lowest ranking they achieved was 12th with a 15 year average ranking of 5.2. The year after Brees retired they dropped from 5th to 19th.

Seems to me that having a 1st ballot HOF QB for your entire HC career has quite an effect on your success.

Facts is facts. Without Brees as his QB Payton's record is hardly inspiring. 

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Probably, (without a doubt?) the three most qualified to help in that process would be Capers, Kollar and Rosburg. Any info on whether or not they're being consulted?

Their contracts expired when the regular season ended. I don’t believe any of the 3 are on the staff with long terms deals as the staff currently in limbo.

And why talk to any? They’ve all been part of losing. Capers hasn’t won anything. No one knew who Rossburg he was hired to hold Hackett’s hand in week 2, sure he did a passable job but your insistence he get the HC job was, and no offense, both entirely implausible and borderline insane.  Kollar is a nice DL coach but it’s not like he has multiple, or even a single, ring. He’s nothing more than a very good position coach. 

In addition to Evero, I know Otten and Klint have had interviews with other teams. I did hear Rossburg approached the Walmarts about interviewing for the HC job but I don’t think anything came of that. 

George is the GM, he should be not only a part of but should have a very, very strong hand in the HC search. If the Walmarts want to be Jerry Jones then let George go and give yourself the GM title because basically they’ve relegated George to Director of Player Personnel. Of course, Jerry Jones has football experience and the national championship ring to prove it, I’d wager the Walmarts played tennis and lawn darts growing up. 

28 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Fwiw, I concur.  I think most of us think Payton is the best coaching prospect currently available but no way at the cost associated with him.  And is it just me......  maybe this team needs to get away from all the "sexy" crap so to speak and just come down to earth.  Get somebody akin to Fox who brought some stability and direction to us before he finally got punted (and he should have got punted when he did).   Lets become normal again and proceed cautiously ahead.    Maybe slowly but surely we begin to right this sinking ship.  Don't want to be the Lions 2.0.  I've been watching that horror show for basically 45 years.  At least they're finally turning it around and that alleviates some pain for me as I live right across the river and so enjoy all the Detroit teams but not like my broncos!!

Quinn is the Fox equivalent in this example. But I think Fox was a better coach as he didn’t need an elite OC and staff to get success. Either way, Quinn, or maybe Caldwell, is the equivalent. 

If I was in charge, I’d just hire DeMeco Ryans and tell him he has 4 years at minimum barring historic, Hackett-level ineptitude or a major scandal.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

George is the GM, he should be not only a part of but should have a very, very strong hand in the HC search. If the Walmarts want to be Jerry Jones then let George go and give yourself the GM title because basically they’ve relegated George to Director of Player Personnel. Of course, Jerry Jones has football experience and the national championship ring to prove it, I’d wager the Walmarts played tennis and lawn darts growing up. 

Just curious, but based on what? He's a great draft guy but that's it. His only experience in HC selection was the worst decision in this franchises history.

So again, based on what? You've just told me that 3 guys with 120 years experience in the NFL have nothing to offer but a 1st time GM with only player personnel experience does.

Alrighty then.