Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

15 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Did I miss the part where Jerry Rosberg said he didn't want the job? 

He met with ownership for his exit interview and told them he was interested.   No HC interview has been booked.   Given they are now at 2nd interviews I think we can say it’s over on that option.  

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Yes, this and all reactions too it. Albright vehemently claiming it’s false. Some people clamoring for DeMeco. Everyone confused. 

Let’s connect some dots. 

One, Payton is going to AZ to interview there. Why? They just hired a Patriots Way GM and those guys don’t take jobs to relinquish power to a coach with whom they have no connection. Owners are also notoriously cheap. Leverage by Payton. 

Two, Word leaks that Payton is our “top choice” with Harbaugh off the market. Carolina also has interest in Payton and the second richest owner in the NFL. Leverage by Payton and Carolina. 

Three, the Walmarts (or George or Dr. Rice) leaked to Klis how much they like Shaw. Is that a smoke screen given the litany of Stanford connections? Broncos leverage. 

Four, now all the news about interest in Ryans (who would be my hire now that Harbaugh is off the market) comes out. Leverage Broncos? Or genuine?

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Since I posted accidentally before I was done, I’ll continue.

Five, Quinn is taking multiple interviews all over the place now after not getting any interest at the get-go besides us. George and DQ go back to Miami in the 2000s. Why would the Walmarts hire a HC with whom their GM, whose legs (I’ll go G-rated here) they just proverbially cut off, has long standing relationship but didn’t hire last year? 

The Walmarts are taking a very, very corporate approach to this whole thing - examining every angle, going through backgrounds, doing their due diligence (as corporate a term as there is), etc., in a way that football people like Elway and George didn’t in previous hires. That’s both their nature a deliberately PR. They are aiming to show how different their process is. 

The Walmarts can do their whole corporate thing all the want. And maybe it will work and maybe it won’t. Maybe it will just gum up the works. 

But at the end of the day, they have assured that this hire is 1000000000% theirs. They can’t blame George. They can’t blame Elway or Ellis. They have deliberately put their stamp on the fact that this will be a Walmart family hire, with George and Dr Rice consulting. But it’s the Walmart (heirs) family hire. 

If they trade pick(s) for a good if not great but also not maybe even good celebrity coach in Payton, take the middle of the road with Quinn or Shaw or roll the dice in the high upside Ryans, the decision will be all theirs. And Broncos fans should react accordingly. 

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

There’s more chatter today Payton may be staying as a broadcaster.    

This is the flip side.  If the price is too high and the 1-2 teams that Payton wants aren’t willing to either meet the Saints price or give him the control he wants (or both) - he goes back to Fox.   The fact it’s Saints beat reporter posting this is pretty notable.    The PR leak war no doubt will continue but it seems like more than smoke here.   

In addition to the reasons you’ve listed there, I think it’s noteworthy that the three jobs that apparently really interested him didn’t come up in this window - Cowboys, Chargers, Rams.

There’s a possibility of a couple of those being available a year from now.

I can see why he might stick with the booth until 2024.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

In addition to the reasons you’ve listed there, I think it’s noteworthy that the three jobs that apparently really interested him didn’t come up in this window - Cowboys, Chargers, Rams.

There’s a possibility of a couple of those being available a year from now.

I can see why he might stick with the booth until 2024.

Realistically until the Spanos family are gone as owners the Chargers aren’t an option.  They’re just too cheap.  Plus the GM Telesco doesn’t  trade away high picks (likely meshes with owners being cheap too).   But yes LAR & DAL definitely in play next year.   

Florio saying that Ryans and Shaw are the finalists - with Ryans impressing in his interview.

I know one is a hot young coordinator who is impressive in an interview (like last year) - and the other has HC experience in college but has been out of the NFL for 20 years - but do we really want to go down the road of hiring a fourth coach in a row who has zero HC experience ?

The team - all of it - needs a steady hand - and that's why I favour Quinn. I would seriously worry about Shaw.

If it is Ryans - then the Walmarts have to commit for 4-6 years and hope he isn't another hapless Hackett.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Florio saying that Ryans and Shaw are the finalists - with Ryans impressing in his interview.

I know one is a hot young coordinator who is impressive in an interview (like last year) - and the other has HC experience in college but has been out of the NFL for 20 years - but do we really want to go down the road of hiring a fourth coach in a row who has zero HC experience ?

The team - all of it - needs a steady hand - and that's why I favour Quinn. I would seriously worry about Shaw.

If it is Ryans - then the Walmarts have to commit for 4-6 years and hope he isn't another hapless Hackett.

There are 3 hopeful signs with Ryans: 

1.  He’s been in charge of the D.   Hackett didn’t even call plays.   He wasn't even the #2.   Lafleur & A-Rod were in charge.  

2.  The Shanny coaching tree clearly is producing viable first time HC guys.   Saleh & McDaniel have acquitted themselves well in less than ideal starting situations.  

3.  Most importantly - multiple teams are coming to the same conclusion.    I care most about how we feel but it’s reassuring that after interviewing elsewhere multiple teams want him back  for a second interview.    Vance Joseph & Hackett weren’t on other team’s radar as finalists IIRC.  

Now hiring Ryans would move us to a 4-3 scheme.    I’d be surprised if we kept Evero (but who knows).    Who the OC / DC / ST / vet AC would matter a ton.   

The reality is if Payton costs too much (I’m in the camp that likes Payton a lot in a vacuum but the price is a problem given the risk he bolts) & Harbaugh doesn’t want to come - I’m ok with anyone the FO has on their list except Caldwell.    Who each candidate brings in will matter a lot obv.   But I’m willing to see this play out.    My concern with Quinn is if he’s become a better game manager and who he’d bring as OC (Bevell has major major flags here).   If it’s not Bevell and he’s better at game management then ok.   But if it’s not Quinn outside of Caldwell I’m totally open to it.  

Last year the list was O’Connell Quinn and a lot of meh as the alternatives.   I advocated for Mike McDaniel but what’s done is done.   At least I can pretty much live with this list a lot more - ironically outside of Caldwell I think every candidate would be a legit finalist last year (obv not Evero since he wasn’t known).  

Edited by Broncofan