Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

26 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

IF we go 1st time NFL HC, I want Ryans. I think he has the highest ceiling out of all the coaches we’ve interviewed. 

Looks like the sentiment of media points towards he has become the favorite from what I can’t tell.

Ryans has rocketed to the top of my list as well, for a lot of the reasons @Broncofan pointed out in addition to the fact that I think he has a sky high ceiling. 

Shaw wouldn’t bother me as much as I don’t see him coming in a scheme HC but rather as a CEO, steady hand, and I hate using this phrase, leader of men. He’d very much be an adult in the room and would likely be able to be a steady hand. 

Oh and I wouldn’t put any stock to what that hack/Patriots apologist/political activist Florio has to say, he is an aggregator (with all so respect to aggregators) who takes other peoples’ reporting, changes a few words, slaps his by-line on it and tweets it out like it’s original reporting. Guy is a clown. I change the channel during that awful NBC pregame show anytime he comes on.  

8 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Florio saying that Ryans and Shaw are the finalists - with Ryans impressing in his interview.

I know one is a hot young coordinator who is impressive in an interview (like last year) - and the other has HC experience in college but has been out of the NFL for 20 years - but do we really want to go down the road of hiring a fourth coach in a row who has zero HC experience ?

The team - all of it - needs a steady hand - and that's why I favour Quinn. I would seriously worry about Shaw.

If it is Ryans - then the Walmarts have to commit for 4-6 years and hope he isn't another hapless Hackett.

Seems like we're just doing what worked so well last year. Hire a 1st time HC, give him autonomy to hire and fire staff and start from scratch once more.

F**king wonderful!

• Like 1

Love everything DeMeco Ryans is about. Great with the X’s and O’s, great leadership qualities, will relate to players and command a locker room and really stresses discipline and fundamentals. 

I can see him being sort of a defensive McVay where he can be great in every part of the job. It’s a risk but he’s become my favorite as well.

Keep in mind McVay made a point to bring in an experienced DC in Wade Phillips. If Ryans is the hire, they’ve got to do the same thing on the offensive side of the ball. And in general just layer the coaching staff with experience. I hope he would understand this.

• Like 2

My feeling is that the job is probably Ryans, if he wants it. I will be honest, I am actually pretty refreshed. For a while it looked as though they were going to do everything they could to get Payton, but I am glad they seem to be open to other possibilities. I will hold off on my excitement until I see his staff. I tend to think he is secure enough to have plenty of vets around him, unlike Hackett. I wonder if Anthony Lynn may be a candidate for OC. IDK what takes precedent , whether he goes from RB Coach to OC or If the fact that he is an Asst HC means he can be blocked for anything but HC. Greg Roman could also be an interesting hire, especially if we want to base the offense around the running game . 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Demeco Ryans feels like the Joseph hire all over again 

In terms of being a DC with no prior experience, OK I see the VJ - Ryans comps.

But let's compare the deeper differences:

1.  Vance Joseph was a DC for one year in MIA.   They were 25th in DVOA, after being 25th in DVOA the year before.   So Joseph was hired because it was felt the talent on the D limited his ability to get the most - but he was not a stellar DC.  He was supposed to be a leader of men....and could get great practices, too (the last part is mine, not serious).

Demeco Ryans has been DC for 2 years in SF - and after inheriting the 5th ranked D in 2020 (Saleh), he turned into the 6th ranked D last year and top-ranked D by DVOA this year.    Moreover, he actually has added more wrinkles to the D as well, it's not just a clone of Saleh's D. 

None of that addresses ability as a HC, but at least you're starting with a much higher level of actual success..and not a 1-year track record, either.   That matters, because it suggests he's evolving and adapting as O's adapt.   It was pretty obvious VJ wasn't even good at overseeing the D.  Again, there's more to being a successful HC than being a good OC/DC, but being a meh DC/OC seems like it's doomed to fail.  Ryans has pretty clear evidence with 2 years as DC that's not the case.

2.  Vance didn't have any other teams request a 2nd interview - so they weren't as thrilled with Joseph as Elway/Ellis were.   Ryans is getting 2nd interviews everywhere.   Keep in mind Ryans was also offered a 2nd interview last year with MIN - and declined.    So we're seeing a much wider pattern of interest, not just our own group.  And given MIN went with McConnell, seems like they're a group whose judgment can be given some credit.

3.   Vance's DC experience was under Adam Gase for 1 year (position coach under Kubiak & Marvin Lewis, which is better - but neither has shown a coaching tree history of success).   Ryans has had 6 years with Kyle Shanahan, 2 as coordinator.   I've covered the Shanahan record of recent success.

If we go 1st-time hire, there's definite risk.  Always is.   But unlike Hackett & Joseph, we have 3 things in favor - he's actually been the guy in full charge of his units and making game-day calls, he's been learning under a guy with known success in first-time HC's going elsewhere, and pretty much every team that interviews him wants him back as a short-list candidate.   Again, Joseph & Hackett never had the second or last items going for them in their hires, and Hackett never play-called, while Joseph's 1 year as DC was very mediocre.

I won't mind if we hire anyone on the list except Caldwell (but only if Quinn doesn't got Bevell route).  I would really love it if Evero stays with whoever comes on.   In all of those hires the OC/DC/vet AC hire matters a ton.    But even if we don't believe in our own FO enough to trust them in evaluating our candidates, being it's their first time - there are a lot of orgs this year (and MIN this year) who see Ryans as an excellent candidate.  So I'm optimistic this isn't VJ V2 at all. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

My feeling is that the job is probably Ryans, if he wants it. I will be honest, I am actually pretty refreshed. For a while it looked as though they were going to do everything they could to get Payton, but I am glad they seem to be open to other possibilities. I will hold off on my excitement until I see his staff. I tend to think he is secure enough to have plenty of vets around him, unlike Hackett. I wonder if Anthony Lynn may be a candidate for OC. IDK what takes precedent , whether he goes from RB Coach to OC or If the fact that he is an Asst HC means he can be blocked for anything but HC. Greg Roman could also be an interesting hire, especially if we want to base the offense around the running game . 

I'm totally open to whoever we hire as HC (sans Caldwell), but Roman would be a bad hire for Russ.  Roman is a run game guru for sure but he's awful at pass game design.  Super simplistic, and easy for D's to account for.    Wilson isn't a running QB, he's a guy we want to use his mobility, but still succeed in the pass game.   

Whoever gets Lamar Jackson, if he leaves BAL (seems likely if he doesn't want to take a contract that's not fully guaranteed - the obstacle in the past), then they become a fit for a Lamar/Roman reunion.   But it's not a good fit for Wilson, given he's still going to be a primary passer. 

Edited by Broncofan

39 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Would love to see DeMeco come with Jim Caldwell as his OC. And I don’t think DeMeco would necessarily spell the end for Evero. Remember that EE has experience with many different schemes, including 43’s. 

Caldwell as OC, it's better.   Caldwell as HC, he's not the guy we want.    The big thing is I don't think Caldwell as HC has enough cache / status or the personality type to make it clear Russ needs to change.   And he's not enough of a OC X-and-O's guy to fix Wilson, and justify the HC hire IMO.    I certainly prefer him to the Bevells of the world at OC.   

I would be really interested though if it's Ryans as HC, whether or not he could bring Slowik in as OC.   That would be fascinating.   Purdy is JAG skill-wise except very good placement (which is important), but they've leveraged his mobility and the weapons SF has to make the O hum (Purdy struggles when you make him carry the O - suspect we see that this weekend FWIW).    Their work with JimmyG (who is who he is) and Purdy suggests that's a combo that might fix Russ far more than casual fans realize. 

If it's Ryans, Ryans - Slowik OC - Evero DC/AC - Munchak OLC - Rosburg  STC/AC would be a great combo IMO.    Mix of SF guys and guys we know, with vet presence.  I'd be good with Caldwell coming in as some sort of QB overseer too (and with the Wal-mart $, pay him like an OC).   I would want Slowik for the SF innovation with the pass game,  we could definitely use it - but then you have experience with youth on the O side.   I'd be super excited about that combo above (plus Caldwell somewhere in there).  The other benefit with that combo - if Caldwell leaves for elsewhere after a couple of years, we collect the comp picks.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Whoever we hire, whether it be an established guy or a 1st-time HC, though, making Russ accountable is still priority #1.  That's the first step in fixing him long-term.   It's somewhat hopeful Russ reached out to Payton realizing someone needs to fix his issues, but I'd want any new HC to come in with the mindset Russ has to change, and not the team has to bend over backwards to help Russ succeed.    In a lot of ways, that might be working against Quinn - you want someone to fix Wilson, but being his buddy/advocate without accountability, like Hackett did, as that's IMO definitely not the route to take.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If it's Ryans, Ryans - Slowik OC - Evero DC/AC - Munchak OLC - Rosburg  STC/AC would be a great combo IMO.    Mix of SF guys and guys we know, with vet presence.  I'd be good with Caldwell coming in as some sort of QB overseer too (and with the Wal-mart $, pay him like an OC).   I would want Slowik for the SF innovation with the pass game,  we could definitely use it - but then you have experience with youth on the O side.   I'd be super excited about that combo above (plus Caldwell somewhere in there).  The other benefit with that combo - if Caldwell leaves for elsewhere after a couple of years, we collect the comp picks.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Slowik would be good, too, but I’d then demand a Caldwell/Reich type as a sort of advisor/consultant to bring some experience. Munchak would certainly help in that regard, as well. You need guys who know how to plan/run meetings and practices, how to communicate with different types of men, and it’s impossible to overstate how much of those skills come from experience. 

And I posted this a while back, but if Bevell happens to be the guy to run the offence, his successful year running with Mike McDaniel in 2022 would be enough for me to give him a chance. Odds are he learned some things. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Seems like we're just doing what worked so well last year. Hire a 1st time HC, give him autonomy to hire and fire staff and start from scratch once more.

F**king wonderful!

Completely agree. Especially with someone who could end up actually be a worse version of Evero, who we obviously already have. We know Evero can "raise all ships" on the defensive side with guys who otherwise shouldn't even be on the field. People point out Ryans success in San Francisco but fail to mention most of the guys he's working with are 1st round picks. 

For HC, why why whyyyyy would we go for another 1st timer and IF we did that, why not go with a guy who ALREADY showed success with the team we have in Rosburg. I know he never stood a chance in this search and I know you've also been banging the drum for him, but it still makes more sense to run with him than whatever this process is supposed to be. I hope if we sign Ryans that he will prove me wrong, but I personally think it's one of the worst moves we could do

• Like 1

Based off of last year, you have to assume that if the Walmarts hire a rookie HC in Ryans, they would demand him to have an experienced supporting cast; can’t help but think that’s at least part of of why KO’C did so well as a rookie in MIN this year. 

It really seems like the Payton ship as sailed. I think, as I’ve said, he is a good to very good HC but giving up the pick(s) required and allowing him carte blache on personnel makes it much tougher to stomach. Thus I’m not upset it’s not (likely) to be Payton. 

Ryans is getting a second interview with HOU and some seem to think it’s between them and us for his services. I get Houston is a clean slate with lots of picks and soft division but they also have a crazy owner and a Patriot Way GM. The Walmarts are football neophytes but they don’t, as of now at least, appear to be crazy like Cal McNair. And George, for his faults in with a few big moves, has done a very nice job by and large with player personnel, both pro and draft, since he’s been here. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1