Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Ryans is coming in as a 1st-time HC, he would be nuts to try and pull double duty as de facto DC.

There's only been 1 successful year 1 1st time HC in recent memory - Sean McVay.   And he's known to have a ridiculously photographic memory (he can recall plays from 7 years prior on direct questioning).     So that's the exception that proves the rule.

The most successful 1st time HC this year shows the model - Brian Daboll hired Mike Kafka to run the O, down to the play-calling.   Daboll definitely had final say and was involved in pre-game prep, but he was great on gameday because he could let someone else be the details / hard prep guy.    That's what Ryans should be looking for in his DC hire, not a puppet that really is a #2 on D. 

With that said, I'd be hopeful Evero would stay if he doesn't get a HC gig this year.  He's certainly hot enough that another year of success, and he'd be at the top of the list (along with CIN coordinators).    Win-win for all concerned with 2024 departure and us scooping up the picks, obv - but it makes a ton of sense for Ryan to have even more expert help in year 1.   If he can bring in more junior guys to learn under him & Evero for 2023, then they're ready to step in for 2024 as DC (and he can help more in year 2, as well).    So, fingers crossed if it's Ryans, that Evero and he see the fit - it really makes a ton of sense, esp with the real possibility Evero leaves after 2023 - by then, having more junior guys move up is easier to make work in Year 2 as a HC.

You don’t consider Kyle Shanahan a successful first time head coach? He’s been to 3 NFCCGs and 1 SB in 6 seasons after taking over a team that went 2-14 the year before he arrived.

I do think Ryans would be wise to keep Evero as an empowered DC and play the Daboll final say role.  

33 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You don’t consider Kyle Shanahan a successful first time head coach? He’s been to 3 NFCCGs and 1 SB in 6 seasons after taking over a team that went 2-14 the year before he arrived.

I do think Ryans would be wise to keep Evero as an empowered DC and play the Daboll final say role.  

Year 1.   He was 6-10.   The team needed work but the point was 1st time HC’s who try to do it all have a longer road to success while they get used to mixing HC roles and being the de facto coordinator.    Shanahan didn’t find success until year 3.  

Mcvay is the only year 1 rookie HC to succeed right away doing both roles.   Given his amazing cerebral skills IMO he’s the exception that proves the rule.  

Edited by Broncofan

24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Year 1.   He was 6-10.   The team needed work but the point was 1st time HC’s who try to do it all have a longer road to success while they get used to mixing HC roles and being the de facto coordinator.    Shanahan didn’t find success until year 3.  

Mcvay is the only year 1 rookie HC to succeed right away doing both roles.   Given his amazing cerebral skills IMO he’s the exception that proves the rule.  

Haha missed the year one part. You’re correct. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Haha missed the year one part. You’re correct. 

To be fair SF wasn’t good talent wise year 1.  But it’s no coincidence that Mcvay is the only recent year 1 rookie HC to do it all and succeed.  It’s such a steep learning curve that first year.   

In a lot of ways Evero likely leaving after 2023 works better for everyone.   No doubt Ryans wants oversight.   He can increase it after his rookie HC year.  And get one if his junior guys to learn under Evero.    Evero will be highly sought after with a 2nd year of success.   We get the comp picks with him being with us for 2 years (this offseason we’d get nothing).   If Evero doesn’t get a HC gig this year seems like win-win-win for the candidates and the org to have a 1-year partnership.  

Edited by Broncofan

Personally I think Evero coming back is beyond wishful thinking. I doubt he wants to be here after a disaster of a season that ended with his best friend getting fired. It was heavily implied that there were hurt feelings and that those may have carried into his HC interview a couple weeks ago.

And that was before it became increasingly likely that we’ll be hiring a defensive coach who runs his own scheme. 

It ain’t happening, guys. Expect one of SF’s defensive staff (maybe Johnny Holland) to come in as DC.

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Personally I think Evero coming back is beyond wishful thinking. I doubt he wants to be here after a disaster of a season that ended with his best friend getting fired. It was heavily implied that there were hurt feelings and that those may have carried into his HC interview a couple weeks ago.

And that was before it became increasingly likely that we’ll be hiring a defensive coach who runs his own scheme. 

It ain’t happening, guys. Expect one of SF’s defensive staff (maybe Johnny Holland) to come in as DC.

Exactly why I've been pretty vocal about not wanting the Ryans hire. Obviously perfect scenario would be Evero staying under him, but assuming Evero leaves, that means not only do we lose those 3rd rounders for compensation, but we lose a guy who very well might actually have been a BETTER version of Ryans (Evero has done more with less on D). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Exactly why I've been pretty vocal about not wanting the Ryans hire. Obviously perfect scenario would be Evero staying under him, but assuming Evero leaves, that means not only do we lose those 3rd rounders for compensation, but we lose a guy who very well might actually have been a BETTER version of Ryans (Evero has done more with less on D). 

I hope I’m wrong. It would be amazing to get Ryans and Evero working together for a year, with Evero calling plays and Ryans being involved with game planning and situational football, an A+ version of what VJ + Joe Woods was supposed to be. It just feels unlikely. But if it’s possible, you have to pursue it. Those two 3rd round picks would help us so much. 

But I’ve said before you hire Ryans with the next decade in mind, not just 2023. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

If the reason you don't want a potential hire is because of a one-year DC that may leave anyway, you're looking at it wrong. I hope we keep Evero and then he's successful here or elsewhere, but Denver needs the right HC before anything else. It's been as big a weakness for the team as the QB position has. We can't get caught up in hypothetical draft picks for Evero leaving. Find the right HC, the rest will sort itself out.

• Like 1

Well, this would sting.   It's pretty clear the FO wasn't willing to pay the price with Sean Payton to NO, or didn't want to cede the level of control he wanted.

But if Demeco Ryans chose HOU over DEN....I know he gets to get a rookie deal QB, but given the org's dysfunction and ownership...yeah, this would sting a lot.    Note that no one has said Ryans would pick HOU over DEN.  But it's clearly going to come down to 2 orgs, and not just us.   Fingers crossed.

EDIT: The X-factor apparently is his wife is from HOU.    That certainly matters.   Ugh.

Edited by Broncofan

So…if this happens, what now? Harbaugh back to Michigan, Ryans looks like the favorite in Houston, things seemed to go south with Payton and Quinn is going back to Dallas. 

Is whatever’s left actually their Plan E? I think Caldwell and Morris can be good HCs but that’s pretty tough. 

I had told my buddy yesterday that I would take the Houston job over Denver any day of the week even if I was offered more money for the Denver job.  Houston's ownership sucks but hopefully with where they pick they get a good qb and just look to move forward football wise.  I also had told my buddy that Penner and our ownership messed up huge by not signing Harbs when we had him in Denver.  Noooooooooooo have to interview and entertain Payton who would have cost us way too much.  Perhaps our ownership group isn't that stupid though.  Maybe its just a smoke and mirror ploy and the real plan is to tank for Caleb??? 

Edited by anewdawn
correction

29 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Lol this is gonna be something else if Ryans goes to Houston. Honestly, at this point nothing would shock me.

It would be a complete humiliation for the Walmarts and for the franchise as a whole. Houston, with a moron owner, a Patriot way GM and a decrepit roster over the Broncos. 

My guess would be in such a case Shaw is the fallback option, right, with Harbaugh, Payton, Quinn and Ryans off the table. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It would be a complete humiliation for the Walmarts and for the franchise as a whole. Houston, with a moron owner, a Patriot way GM and a decrepit roster over the Broncos. 

My guess would be in such a case Shaw is the fallback option, right, with Harbaugh, Payton, Quinn and Ryans off the table. 

I think Shaw could mysteriously be a really great coach.  He has HC experience, albeit, at Stanford.  But I kind of like that he had to coach guys who would never be NFLers, because then you really have to coach to be competitive because you don't get the best athletes at Stanford; and Shaw had a few good moments at Stanford.  Shaw seems smart to me, that he thinks about things deeply, which I think is needed for an HC. 

Edited by jsthomp2007

I've listed the reasons why I'd love a Demeco Ryans hire.   And again, I said I'd be OK with any hire other than Caldwell as HC (just don't think he's different than b4, and not a fit for what we need with Russ, or long-term, with a capped ceiling for growth).

But before it sounds like I'm bouncing around (My first choice was Harbaugh, I loved the Ryans hire reports) - if Ryans does go to HOU, I''ll repost what I said in the Main Forum yesterday (so it's not just changing my tune because Ryans might choose HOU) - out of all the 1st time coaches, I actually think Raheem Morris was the best candidate available.   I could get behind him.   

Edited by Broncofan