Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What if Evero goes elsewhere and you get Munch and Fangio back? 

The only way we can't control Evero staying/leaving is if he's a HC hire.   Unless ARI or IND hire him, we control his destination.   In theory he could say he doesn't want to work for us, but we hold his rights.  Usually it's just $ that decides.     The 2 picks are massive.   Evero IMO is a better DC for our personnel (because he preaches attacking the ball, and until our best guys got hurt, we were on pace to double the TO output - still outpaced by a wide margin, but the 1H/2H split was massive).

May be moot - Fangio would be nuts not to go to SF.   It's more if SF prefers someone else IMO. 

54 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The way the Payton era can start off on the right note - re-hire OLC Mike Munchak.  You don't have a 1st or 2nd to shore up the OL?  Get a top-2 OL coach GOAT (only behind Scarnecchia all-time) to get the most of the guys we have and bring in.   Munchak only wants to coach if it's DEN, it's such a win-win for all concerned.

You get Munchak at OLC, and Evero as DC (and ready to recoup some picks in 2025 after a likely departure for 2024), then we're starting off things on the right foot.  It doesn't mean that's the only path to success, but IMO it's such an easy one.  Take the low-hanging fruit.

Dan Roushar might be a better OL coach than Munchak and worked with Payton for a decade. That feels like a more likely direction.  

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Dan Roushar might be a better OL coach than Munchak and worked with Payton for a decade. That feels like a more likely direction.  

I won't object if Roushar is hired, but that's about it.   Munchak's record is only surpassed by Dante Scarnecchia.  The problem is Roushar is a coordinator (run game) - IIRC that's considered a level above position coaches.  So I believe NO can block the request.

If NO will let him go, no argument.    But I'm working on the assumption he's still in NO.

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Well SP went to Eastern Illinois where Shannahan went... and maybe Romo will fawn over us now as well.

I've loved Romo the first 2 years he was calling games.  But man, he's mailed it in this year, doesn't do the work/research, and it shows.     What a downfall.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I won't object if Roushar is hired, but that's about it.   Munchak's record is only surpassed by Dante Scarnecchia.  The problem is Roushar is a coordinator (run game) - IIRC that's considered a level above position coaches.  So I believe NO can block the request.

If NO will let him go, no argument.    But I'm working on the assumption he's still in NO.

Munchak is a good coach but his impact here is overstated. Risner regressed every year, Cush never developed and they never elevated the play at RT. Bolles credits Ken Zampese for getting the mental side of the game down, not Munchak. 

The Saints let Roushar walk. He’s a homerun. 

• Like 1

One very interesting tidbit I was reading in the latest Renck article is that Payton explicitly said he's looking forward to building an offense with a running game to help Russ be more successful (something to that effect), which tells me that we will be acquiring another RB this offseason who will need to play a major role in the offense.

Every team in the final 4 of the playoffs had several RBs in the stable. We're 100% going to need it. I'd splash some cash on someone to complement Javonte.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

One very interesting tidbit I was reading in the latest Renck article is that Payton explicitly said he's looking forward to building an offense with a running game to help Russ be more successful (something to that effect), which tells me that we will be acquiring another RB this offseason who will need to play a major role in the offense.

Every team in the final 4 of the playoffs had several RBs in the stable. We're 100% going to need it. I'd splash some cash on someone to complement Javonte.

It’s going to be a power run game with lots of PA shots out of heavy sets. I expect another RB and also an emphasis on getting bigger up front. Think we can say goodbye to Risner, who is just too physically weak against stronger athletes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Depending on the $$ I wouldn’t mind Mattison he’s always impressed me when give a chance 

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Munchak is a good coach but his impact here is overstated. Risner regressed every year, Cush never developed and they never elevated the play at RT. Bolles credits Ken Zampese for getting the mental side of the game down, not Munchak. 

The Saints let Roushar walk. He’s a homerun. 

Wow, I still had him as run game coordinator.   I stand corrected, that's a fantastic choice.   We're going to need to have a massive coaching upgrade, because we're not likely to have premium $ or picks on our OL upgrade choices this year.   Strong call either way though.

Evero as DC is the other shoe to fall.   

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Depending on the $$ I wouldn’t mind Mattison he’s always impressed me when give a chance 

I think we're just going to find a value play - Mattison, D'Ernest Johnson, etc.   One thing Payton's valued is having 2-3 guys who can step in.  Because of the salary cap constraints, it's not a position they've spent a ton on when getting that depth - but they've found ways to find the value gems (Sproles, Pierre Thomas, and yes, Latavius Murray in his NO time, complementing Kamara). 

I expect that's the MO we'd follow both with a rookie RB and FA guy; we can't count on Javonte Williams being OK with the terrible triad injury (we can hope, but can't count on it), and we def can't count on him being close to OK year 1 post-ACL.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Wow, I still had him as run game coordinator.   I stand corrected, that's a fantastic choice.   We're going to need to have a massive coaching upgrade, because we're not likely to have premium $ or picks on our OL upgrade choices this year.   Strong call either way though.

Evero as DC is the other shoe to fall.   

Yeah I’m wondering if the Saints let him go because it was so clear he wanted to link up with Payton and they are looking for a fresh start on offense.

I expect a lot of improvement from the OL no matter who ends up here. Sean Payton really values a strong OL and they consistently invested in that group in New Orleans. Evaluated it well too. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I’m wondering if the Saints let him go because it was so clear he wanted to link up with Payton.

I expect a lot of improvement from the OL no matter who ends up here. Sean Payton really values a strong OL and they consistently invested in that group in New Orleans. Evaluated it well too. 

I mentioned it before but Payton getting top 10 OL production is no coincidence.   He had Loomis prioritize in the draft, and they coached it up well.   Payton def prioritizes having trench strength, which is a recipe for sustained success.  I have to believe we'll franchise tag Dre'mont as a way to start on the D side, as well (we have 35M in easy cuts to free up cap space, before ppl worry).

We can't spend a ton pick-capital wise to get the immediate upgrade, and likely can only find 1 impact OL in FA in the high-$ tier, so we have to find value and coach it up like crazy.   It's another reason to be optimistic with Payton - provided he stays for the long run, and doesn't cut and run after 2-3 years, if the Wilson re-tool & fix doesn't take.

Edited by Broncofan

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I’m wondering if the Saints let him go because it was so clear he wanted to link up with Payton and they are looking for a fresh start on offense.

That's definitely a positive. Too bad Barry got rid of Muti. A Muti/Meinerz combo at OG would give him a new version of Evans/Nicks. 

FWIW this isn't justifying the price at all - but if Payton does work out and this re-establishes the org's stability and ends the coaching carousel, Paton's deal in trading Chubb away is an org-changer in the right direction.   Again, I'm not justifying the price to get Payton (and it does increase the risk/impact of failure), but there's no realistic shot at Payton without the SF 1st (or worse, giving up more 1sts down the line in future years).

If Paton can either extend or tag Dre'mont Jones, then IMO that trade gets completely vindicated regardless, as we weren't going to spend 20M on both guys - and our EDGE depth is far greater than our DL depth.   It would be great to hear Dre'mont getting extended, but worst-case, think he's getting tagged.   Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1