Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

So in building the coaching staff, let's see how what the possibilities are at some key positions:

OC - Joe Lombardi.   I hate that he's so short-area on 1st/2nd down when he throws, it totally neutered a great QB in Justin Herbert.  It may not matter as much for the current version, but it is a departure from peak Russell Wilson.    I do like the run game creativity and willingness to feature the X (Jeudy) and use RB's / TE's with mismatches.     One MAJOR warning - he's a total disaster without Payton.    We should never think he's a good OC on his own.   With Payton, it probably works.   But he led a Matthew Stafford / Megatron / Golden Tate to a 717 throw, 19th-ranked pass O in 2014(what a combo) and then the Chargers in 2021 & 2022 to one of the lowest ADOT O's with terrible production and huge pass/run game imbalance on his own - after Shane Steichen energized the Chargers O with Herbert's breakout rookie year, much higher production across the board.   

With Payton, this works - because Lombardi's not making the big calls.  As long as Payton's around, I'll say this - I much prefer Payton-anyone 100x more than the Darrell Bevell combos or even Brian Schottenheimer ideas with a Dan Quinn combo. 

OL - Dan Roushar.   While I wanted Munchak, knowing Roushar is available as @BroncoBruin pointed out, it's the more likely choice.  I can get behind it.   Roushar also did a fantastic job in helping with the emergence of Juwan Johnson (those in the Bets thread know he made me & others a TON of $ this year lol).    Hopefully he'd help with getting the most out of Greg Dulcich, and salvage Albert O.

WR coach - Kodi Burns?.   He's still on NO, so I think this could get blocked, unless there was some sort of promotion.   He's only been the coach for 1 year, but the emergence of Rashid Shaheed as their #2 as a UDFA and Chris Olave's rookie year speaks highly to him.  Zach Azzari did a decent job, but I suspect Payton might be interested here (unless they literally have no prior connection).

DC - Ejiro Evero.   Praying this happens.   Nothing against Fangio, but this is a home run retain, keeps the attacking 3-4 we loved, helps him get more out of 

Secondary - Christian Parker.   Along with Evero, the no-brainer retain on the D side.  I suppose Aaron Glenn might get the nod, but IMO Parker did an even better job.  I hope he stays.

Special Teams - ???.   I would love if Rosburg stayed, but I doubt it happens, if Payton and he have no connection.   Wish him well, he really salvaged a disaster year for us.  His 2-game stint probably caught all the HC candidates' attention and made us viable again.   Mad respect.    Either way, it would be great if Payton could bring his top 10 OL and top 10 ST production NO enjoyed on an almost annual basis. 

Evero / Parker would be amazing retains.      It would give stability to the 3-4 scheme and young secondary that really showed out well.   I'm not crazy about Lombardi, he's a total disaster without Payton, but the Payton-Lombardi combo worked well, so I'm willing to be patient (well patient until games start, anyways lol).

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Well, the process is over. Mixed emotions about it though. On the plus side Payton is a great coach. He seems to hire very good position coaches /Coordinators and keeps them. Actually, from a pure football position he'll be a great addition. He's legit.

My largest concern is the compensation. Basically Paton and our FO's apparent disdain for draft picks. I'm racking my brain but I don't think we've traded 3 1sts and 3 2nds in our history to date. That's a huge talent loss in just two years. Pretty hard to "draft and develop" when you have no premium draft picks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, the process is over. Mixed emotions about it though. On the plus side Payton is a great coach. He seems to hire very good position coaches /Coordinators and keeps them. Actually, from a pure football position he'll be a great addition. He's legit.

My largest concern is the compensation. Basically Paton and our FO's apparent disdain for draft picks. I'm racking my brain but I don't think we've traded 3 1sts and 3 2nds in our history to date. That's a huge talent loss in just two years. Pretty hard to "draft and develop" when you have no premium draft picks.

This is how I feel. 

We’ve got a 2 year window to win. I hope Russ is up for it. Then we will have 3ish years where those lack of picks will haunt us and we will struggle to be mediocre (kind of like 05-08 after whiffing on our early picks in 03-05).

I hope Sean’s willing to stick around through those lean years. Starting in 2028 though, we should have a contender….assuming we can turn those lean years into a franchise QB.

IF Sean is willing to see it through we should at least be able to put the **** show that has been the last 14 years (aside from the miracle 3 year run thanks to manning) since Ellis’ ego allowed him to fire Mike Shanahan. 

Crazy to think we’ve had 8 head coaches (2 interim) in 14 years. Not exactly the model of stability. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’ll take 3+ years of Fangio over 1 more year of Evero at this point. 

What about 1 more year of Evero and two 3rd round picks? We gotta start thinking even a little bit about young, cheap talent. We had very little because of Elway's poor drafting, we're now giving away all of our premium picks again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

What about 1 more year of Evero and two 3rd round picks? We gotta start thinking even a little bit about young, cheap talent. We had very little because of Elway's poor drafting, we're now giving away all of our premium picks again.

This is where I'm at as well.    And we should be mindful Payton's tenure has had D excellence throughout - I think he'd be able to find an excellent DC.   It's a lot easier to find/keep good DC's than OC's - everyone wants to promote OC's.   

I'm not going to be down if we get Fangio, obv - but I'll be thrilled if we keep Evero.  He got 4 2nd interviews this year as HC.  And the D was more aggressive and TO-producing until all of our EDGE's and half our CB room went down.   As long as the D is excellent next year (and no reason to believe it wouldn't be), he'll be a top 3 HC candidate.  Those 2 end of 3rds will be very welcome in that scenario.    

Either DC will be fantastic, and Payton's shown he can build continuity.   In that event, give me Evero and the pick potential.    The D will still be great this year, and Payton can bring in a young guy to groom as Evero's successor.   

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Fair and it makes it pretty close for me. But I think people probably need to accept that Evero does not want to be here and won’t be here. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Fair and it makes it pretty close for me. But I think people probably need to accept that Evero does not want to be here and won’t be here. 

Well it’s not going to be Fangio if this report is true.   If it’s for 1 year I’d say $$ has a way of smoothing over hurt feelings - esp if Evero can increase his HC chances next year with another solid year with the D.   

That’s assuming ARI or IND don’t hire him as HC of course.  

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Bringing back the ex coach that was HATED by the locker room as a DC is an utterly terrible idea 

Admittedly I didn't follow that part closely. Are there confirmed reports of this? Aside from Derek Wolfe's comments, I don't recall hearing that from anyone else. I always found it a bit ironic; Wolfe complained about how hard Fangio was on them in practice, yet before his injury he was having what was easily the best statistical season of his career. Like, Fangio's method was clearly producing results. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Admittedly I didn't follow that part closely. Are there confirmed reports of this? Aside from Derek Wolfe's comments, I don't recall hearing that from anyone else. I always found it a bit ironic; Wolfe complained about how hard Fangio was on them in practice, yet before his injury he was having what was easily the best statistical season of his career. Like, Fangio's method was clearly producing results. 

I don’t have time right now to look up stats and advanced metrics and the like, but, IIRC, this year we had a better season defensively with a worse offense relative to 2021. Our DC was also a rookie who was just getting his sea legs as a coordinator, in contrast to Vic who has 30 years of experience and a roster he knew and helped build.

I’ll take Evero 7 times a week and twice on Sunday’s. Even if it is for only one more year. Klis said on The Fan today the Walmarts and George want Evero to stay but there Sean will ultimately choose, with final say, his coaching staff. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t have time right now to look up stats and advanced metrics and the like, but, IIRC, this year we had a better season defensively with a worse offense relative to 2021. Our DC was also a rookie who was just getting his sea legs as a coordinator, in contrast to Vic who has 30 years of experience and a roster he knew and helped build.

I’ll take Evero 7 times a week and twice on Sunday’s. Even if it is for only one more year. Klis said on The Fan today the Walmarts and George want Evero to stay but there Sean will ultimately choose, with final say, his coaching staff. 

Oh I’ll take Evero all day long over Fangio. The dude was a wizard this year. I was more just curious about the sentiment that the locker room hated Vic. I never really picked up on that. 

• Like 1

I have had a decent amount of time to stew over the Payton news. In summary, I still just don't like it.

I don't like the compensation we've had to give up.
I don't like the way Payton flamed out of New Orleans and left them in cap salary hell. 
I don't like that for someone who is this absolute QB wizard, he decided to fall in love with an awful Taysom Hill.
I don't like that the only real notable work in his career was done a first ballot HOFer and another who is a fringe HOFer.

I get there are counterarguments to all of those points, in particular the last one where it's impossible to know who helped who the most. 

I just think we've embarrassed ourselves throughout this process, and I am a little worried this ownership group is more interested in big splashes than practicality. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

Unless IND / ARI tab Evero as HC Payton would be nuts to pass on Evero as DC.  Maybe he brings in Kris Richard as assistant DC to take over in 2024 (Richard needs to learn under a guy IMO he was the lesser half of the Nielsen-Richard co-DC pair).   Fingers crossed.  

Side note - Den plays Mia this year.  Drama! 

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Unless IND / ARI tab Evero as HC Payton would be nuts to pass on Evero as DC.  Maybe he brings in Kris Richard as assistant DC to take over in 2024 (Richard needs to learn under a guy IMO he was the lesser half of the Nielsen-Richard co-DC pair).   Fingers crossed.  

It would definitely be a surprise if the Broncos did not keep evero given that Fangio is no longer an option - and I don't think it would be good for the Walmarts PR if they dispensed with his services.

• Like 1