Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

One upside from Payton's hire is that we will find out if Wilson has anything left in the tank or if we will be looking for a QB in 2024.

There will literally be zero excuses for Wilson if he isn't even "decent" in 2023.   And then yes, time to move on.  Eat the cap hit, suck as hard as possible, shorten the rebuild by embracing it (rather than Elway desperately trying to hang on and not conceding we're in a rebuild until 3 years later - 2017-9).

But if Payton can get him to be just "decent" - the D is good enough to let us win games.  The OL is the other key area this offseason (and DL depth - but there are some options there at least for run support). 

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just think we've embarrassed ourselves throughout this process, and I am a little worried this ownership group is more interested in big splashes than practicality. 

This has been on my mind since the get-go, and I’ve said as such several times. The Walmarts every single reporter tweeting, including in their articles, in other social media, on the TV reports, about the $400k in new turf before the final game. Then they went out and got the biggest name coach they could get their hands on. 

From a PR perspective I’ll concede it makes sense. My concern is like what you say that the most headline grabbing moves might not always be the best ones. Time will tell. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:53 PM, AKRNA said:

Well, the process is over. Mixed emotions about it though. On the plus side Payton is a great coach. He seems to hire very good position coaches /Coordinators and keeps them. Actually, from a pure football position he'll be a great addition. He's legit.

My largest concern is the compensation. Basically Paton and our FO's apparent disdain for draft picks. I'm racking my brain but I don't think we've traded 3 1sts and 3 2nds in our history to date. That's a huge talent loss in just two years. Pretty hard to "draft and develop" when you have no premium draft picks.

I don't like what we gave up compensation wise but it turned out somewhat better than I thought the cost would be.  So I didn't like the whole process and though they will never admit it I think management knew Payton's cost was too high but they messed up when they let Harbough escape Denver without signing him.  They soon got caught without many options and I think they did want to make some kind of splash and with Harbs gone and Ryans not wanting us what was really left splash wise? 

So now we start drafting in the third which is pretty damn ugly.  We need some key free agent signings too and will likely have to overpay.  Everyone is sold on Russ getting better but honestly I saw way too much crap football being played by him to think it's a quick fix though I clearly am hoping.  This deal is now done, it is what it is so to speak and that word HOPE once again reigns supreme.  Hoping this mess somewhat straightens itself out!!  

19 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I have had a decent amount of time to stew over the Payton news. In summary, I still just don't like it.

I don't like the compensation we've had to give up.
I don't like the way Payton flamed out of New Orleans and left them in cap salary hell. 
I don't like that for someone who is this absolute QB wizard, he decided to fall in love with an awful Taysom Hill.
I don't like that the only real notable work in his career was done a first ballot HOFer and another who is a fringe HOFer.

I get there are counterarguments to all of those points, in particular the last one where it's impossible to know who helped who the most. 

I just think we've embarrassed ourselves throughout this process, and I am a little worried this ownership group is more interested in big splashes than practicality. 

The Taysom thing was weird as hell, and I honestly don’t think there’s a rational counter argument to it.

I’ll be honest, I’m totally aware that I’m looking for the positive spin in this hire. But in regards to concerns about the compensation and the end of his NO tenure, like you said, there are very logical counterpoints: 
• The comp is more of a problem in our specific situation, but in a vacuum, a +1 win coach is certainly worth the pick, and the analytics say there’s a good chance that’s what Payton will be for us. I’d argue it’s more likely that he’s a difference maker for us than anyone we would’ve taken at 29. 
•And his departure, with the terrible cap situation, you’ve had this unbelievable 15 year run with your HOF QB, you’ve gotta maximize the hell outta that. Steal from the future if you have to, I fully endorse. Also, I don’t love exactly how his tenure ended, but on the other hand, I don’t blame him for not wanting to start a massive rebuild after such a long run of championship contention. 

FWIW Klis says this is contingency planning given IND / ARI HC decisions aren’t in.  And IND might be going for a 3rd round (more on that later but wow)

Renck is a little more realistic that we don’t know what Evero wants yet.  But also acknowledges HC contingency angle.  

Flores would be an excellent hire.   Able to adapt to 4-3 but very comfortable with 3-4.   But Evero still the number 1 choice.   IND HC search is going to put ppl on hold though - they gave 7 candidates 2nd interviews and apparently plan on 4+ for 3rd interviews (LOL WTF).  

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

And all to try and bolster Jeff Saturday's reputation when they re-appoint him

If it goes as badly as he showed out this past year that’s a GM career killer.   One thing to hire interim but full-time hire with that performance - oof.    Imagine being an assistant coach there.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW Klis says this is contingency planning given IND / ARI HC decisions aren’t in.  And IND might be going for a 3rd round (more on that later but wow)

Renck is a little more realistic that we don’t know what Evero wants yet.  But also acknowledges HC contingency angle.  

Flores would be an excellent hire.  But Evero still the number 1 choice.   IND HC search is going to put ppl on hold though - they gave 7 candidates 2nd interviews and apparently plan on 4+ for 3rd interviews (LOL WTF).  

I’m only meh on Flores. Apparently he was a royal pain in Miami which is unsurprising considering his coaching roots. I’m also not wild about anyone from the New England tree.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m only meh on Flores. Apparently he was a royal pain in Miami which is unsurprising considering his coaching roots. I’m also not wild about anyone from the New England tree.

DC is very different though than HC.   And if he’s as successful as the unit’s ceiling provides - he could easily be gone after 2 years here and we get the comp picks.  

SEA DC Sean Desai is also on the interview list.  Good plan B as well.  Still, Evero is still the best option by far.  But at least the plan B options so far are very good.  No surprise that our D is a desired spot for DC’s.   

Edited by Broncofan

Hindsight’s always 20/20. But after going back-and-forth on this for the last couple of days, I think we should’ve went ahead and pulled the trigger on Fangio when we had the chance. NOT because I think he’s a better defensive coordinator than Evero; he was incredible this year. But I think there’s every chance in the world that we’re going to lose him this offseason anyway. Both Arizona and Indy would be crazy not to give him a really hard look as their new HC and my gut tells me he’s gonna go to Arizona.

With Fangio, he already knew the players and it’s basically the same system. Just a little less aggressive. And Vic is still a very good defensive coach. That’s about as smooth of a transition we could have hoped for after the inevitable loss of Ejiro. Too late now though. Vic’s going to Miami, and the smart money says we’re about  lose Evero anyway. 

I really don’t like the idea of Flores. He’s a prick. And he literally named us in a lawsuit. I would have taken Vic all day over that.