Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Here is the problem with the rookie HC prospect - especially one reporting to Penner who knows nothing about football. Wilson is your QB and Wilson has his 'team' and your rookie HC has to handle this. Hackett couldn't do it and I think you are far better off getting a HC who has had experience and is able to put his foot down over Wilson's antics.

As long as Penner and Paton are comitted to keeping Wilson you have a problem for a rookie HC - because by all accounts Wilson will try and run roughshod over your rookie. 

The first priority for any HC candidate is not 'can you fix Wilson?' - but should be - 'can you deal with and sort out this utter sh*tshow that comes with Wilson on the roster and how are you going to put your foot down and force him to do what is necessary?' - otherwise you are setting your new HC up for failure.

You need a strong personality - Payton would do it - Harbaugh would do it - I think Dan Quinn would do it - I don't think Reich would be able to do it and that is why I would rule him out - and I don't think a rookie could handle it which is why I don't want another rookie HC.

The alternative is to cut bait with Wilson - eat the $107m dead cap money - tank the season (which will happen anyway) - hope your good players like PS2 and Jeudy won't walk when their rookie contracts are up, and then go on a rebuild. The problem with this is that you have to make sure you hit on the right rookie HC and commit to them for 5 years - otherwise the team will be set back another decade.

If you are keeping Wilson for at least another season then you need a very strong character (and not a tinpot dictator like Flores or any other BB clone). I can't see a rookie HC being able to deal with the combination of a primadonna QB and a CEO who doesn't know anything about football.

The more I think about it, the more I’m locked in on it needing to be Harbaugh. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

The assumption you're making that he's not capable because he retired is pretty extreme. I retired 12 tears ago and still work when I want as a consultant and make a bundle.

There's nothing uncommon about that at all. You just work on your terms, and timetable, not someone else's. He's probably more likely to turn it down than a young guy with far fewer qualifications because he doesn't need the job.

Sorry, but that's a bizarre post.

I don't think this has anything to do with his age at all. Let's be real, if Rosburg was a great candidate, teams would have been after him through the years. The reality is he's a game management guy (who I don't think was THAT great at what he did) and he's getting the nod because Evero turned it down and they're probably throwing him a bone. 

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The more I think about it, the more I’m locked in on it needing to be Harbaugh. 

It would be the adult in the room, firm hand, fully-respected by the locker room and support staff hire. It’s why he’s my top choice.

A young, “hot coordinator” type would be both more submissive to the Walmarts and too willing to accommodate Wilson’s eccentricities. Neither would be the case with Jim. Quinn is known as a players coach, and we just had one of those, with disastrous results, and he will also be a lot more cautious as it would be his last chance to be a HC. 

There was talk back in the day about Jim coming here in 2015 (the year we hired Kubes) but, with Elway running the show, it would likely have been too combustible. There are alpha males and then there are John Elway and Jim Harbaugh type alpha males. 

20 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with his age at all. Let's be real, if Rosburg was a great candidate, teams would have been after him through the years. The reality is he's a game management guy (who I don't think was THAT great at what he did) and he's getting the nod because Evero turned it down and they're probably throwing him a bone. 

I think they just wanted a no drama, CEO type to steer the ship for the last two games. The coordinators are going to run their respective units. Rossburg is there to call timeouts and shake Andy Reid’s hand after the Chiefs beat us by 30 points. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That age response was to 07's post, not brought up by me. I didn't think it was relevant I don't think he'd be a great HC. I do think he'd be average, stabilizing and well accepted. 

We don't have the FO personnel right now to even make a good selection committee. To me all the HC talk is the cart way in front of the horse. You mentioned having some time would be very beneficial and I couldn't agree more. Really, that's all I'm advocating. Give the owners a chance to rebuild the organization, hire some good people, figure out a plan going forward. 

I think before we talk about hiring a HC we bring in people that are qualified to evaluate that hire. We don't have 'em.

• Like 1

For the record I did not say one thing about his age only that he had been retired for a few years. Age has nothing to do with it BB is older and I would still hire him were it an option(only as HC not GM). He shouldn’t be considered because he’s a place holder who was brought in just to help manage time outs and such.

I've seen David Shaw's name pop up a couple of times today - given Rice's connection to Stanford. Went and had a look at his presser when he resigned and it is clear that the guy is interested in moving into the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped up on the interview list.

I think they could make a big push for Harbaugh - and I think they might try to use Rosburg's connections with the brother to help with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Wilson’s albatross contract is the only problem and while the team does not have an easy out from that it will not be the issue that it’s made out to be. You pitch a HC by not tying him to the hip with Wilson. The situation is not dire as the idiots in the Denver media like to pretend, but it does take commitment to a HC and accepting that Wilson isn’t likely to recover his game and move on from him at the earliest time possible. Will it mean losing? Yes but it at least shows that you’re serious about rebuilding the right way without capitulation.  

This really doesn't get brought up enough in these threads or even on the general board. Everyone basically says we are screwed until Russ' contract is gone, etc. The reality is we have our pick next year so if we suck, though not ideal, we go back to the position we were in trying to use a high first rounder on a rookie QBOTF. If we didn't get Russ we would be doing that anyway, which was the beauty of that deal people don't talk about. It only cost us the first rounder that year (anyone would have expected Russ to be better than a 1st year rookie), and then the one this year (which we would also have used on a QBOTF). So even in this "worst case" that it's become, we lost out on what? One year? Once we do get a rookie again cap doesn't matter anyway because they are going to be developing so ironically....around 2025 or 26 that could be the perfect timeframe to be able to have cap again to surround a hopefully developed rookie with talent. In a world where everyone is crappy on our GM, people need to remember how Paton set up things for us to turn around relatively quickly.

Edited by Dbrog24

Just watched the Rosburg press conference.  Rosburg has been around the block in coaching and spent 10 years under John Harbaugh.  He answered and explained everything well, but you got the hint that Hackett and company weren’t running things in a way  Rosburg agreed with.  For starters he’s already holding people accountable.

Based off of some of his answers, I actually think he’s gunning for the HC job.  He’d need to win both of the last 2 games, but I have to give him credit.  He’s getting the only chance he’s ever had and giving it everything he’s got.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Just watched the Rosburg press conference.  Rosburg has been around the block in coaching and spent 10 years under John Harbaugh.  He answered and explained everything well, but you got the hint that Hackett and company weren’t running things in a way  Rosburg agreed with.  For starters he’s already holding people accountable.

Based off of some of his answers, I actually think he’s gunning for the HC job.  He’d need to win both of the last 2 games, but I have to give him credit.  He’s getting the only chance he’s ever had and giving it everything he’s got.

He's also pretty talented as a ST Coordinator. Had a streak of 7 years with top 5 rated ST units with Jacksonville. Also, his firing of Stukes ended up being adddition by subtraction. Our ST assistant Mallory has a pretty impressive ST resume himself. I'd bet he's an upgrade.

Mainly, I'd like to see at least a year of stability on the field. Rosburg knows the situation and people here, brings basically no nepotism to the table and wants only one thing and that's to win. It allows us time to get the right coaches in the right spots, then lock 'em up financially for a few years.

I doubt our owners are keen on the idea of hiring a HC that's wanting to hire all his own coaches. We just did that and it didn't work that well.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, AKRNA said:

Actually I do love that. The mathematical probabilities however put that far beyond the "extremely unlikely" category. 

It's definitely not likely lol. But like, for the sake of argument, what if? Say Rosberg comes in like he has nothing to lose (because he doesn't) and says "Russ.. You suck at being a pocket passer. You're going to play Pete Carroll style offense and you're going to like it or I'm benching you. Also your entourage can get lost." We all saw what Wilson was doing to KC in that last game up until he got hurt. Like, as crazy as it sounds, I think Denver wins that game if Russ doesn't go down with a concussion.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:12 AM, jolly red giant said:

I've seen David Shaw's name pop up a couple of times today - given Rice's connection to Stanford. Went and had a look at his presser when he resigned and it is clear that the guy is interested in moving into the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped up on the interview list.

I think they could make a big push for Harbaugh - and I think they might try to use Rosburg's connections with the brother to help with that.

FWIW the obv power pairing grind bandied about  is Harbaugh + Shaw as AC/OC.   Gets Shaw foot in NFL door to be HC.  Allows Harbaugh to groom a future OC in the assistant ranks.    Would require a lot of $$.   But that’s likely not to be the obstacle.  

Harbaugh is the best-case scenario for sure.   It’s still unlikely but if it did happen the combos possible to fill out the staff get really interesting.   Could easily see Evero persuaded to stay if he doesn’t get a HC gig (which I think stlll is most likely with only 1 year as DC on the CV).