Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW the obv power pairing grind bandied about  is Harbaugh + Shaw as AC/OC.   Gets Shaw foot in NFL door to be HC.  Allows Harbaugh to groom a future OC in the assistant ranks.    Would require a lot of $$.   But that’s likely not to be the obstacle.  

Harbaugh is the best-case scenario for sure.   It’s still unlikely but if it did happen the combos possible to fill out the staff get really interesting.   Could easily see Evero persuaded to stay if he doesn’t get a HC gig (which I think stlll is most likely with only 1 year as DC on the CV). 

So, I'm trying to think like the owners here would think. Just figure, none of them know anything about football outside of the fact that they own a team with a great legacy. They bought this team with great expectations based on the media. Those expectations have been shredded and reality has set in. This group is not happy. They're going to look hard at every decision made by this franchise starting with the firing of Fangio and consequently his entire staff and ending with the Wilson contract. A series of decisions that had terrible results and cost this franchise horribly, not just financially, but quality personnel, and draft picks.

They need to start over and do it right. Hiring any big name coach would basically start the same process all over. That process hasn't worked well for them and I'd be amazed if they repeated it.

I think the fan base and press is much more excited about the HC search than the owners right now. Being primarily a group of ultra successful individuals with really diverse talent I don't see them following the basic NFL paradigm for developing a franchise. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Someone mentioned there are no financial restrictions on staff or coaches and that's a great observation. As long as they don't have to but heads with a new HC they can afford to lock up some of the best position coaches in the league and re stock the cupboard. 

Anyway, just a thought but trying to think like the owners and not a fan is pretty entertaining.

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

It's definitely not likely lol. But like, for the sake of argument, what if? Say Rosberg comes in like he has nothing to lose (because he doesn't) and says "Russ.. You suck at being a pocket passer. You're going to play Pete Carroll style offense and you're going to like it or I'm benching you. Also your entourage can get lost." We all saw what Wilson was doing to KC in that last game up until he got hurt. Like, as crazy as it sounds, I think Denver wins that game if Russ doesn't go down with a concussion.  

I'd love to be a fly on that wall.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm trying to think like the owners here would think. Just figure, none of them know anything about football outside of the fact that they own a team with a great legacy. They bought this team with great expectations based on the media. Those expectations have been shredded and reality has set in. This group is not happy. They're going to look hard at every decision made by this franchise starting with the firing of Fangio and consequently his entire staff and ending with the Wilson contract. A series of decisions that had terrible results and cost this franchise horribly, not just financially, but quality personnel, and draft picks.

They need to start over and do it right. Hiring any big name coach would basically start the same process all over. That process hasn't worked well for them and I'd be amazed if they repeated it.

I think the fan base and press is much more excited about the HC search than the owners right now. Being primarily a group of ultra successful individuals with really diverse talent I don't see them following the basic NFL paradigm for developing a franchise. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Someone mentioned there are no financial restrictions on staff or coaches and that's a great observation. As long as they don't have to but heads with a new HC they can afford to lock up some of the best position coaches in the league and re stock the cupboard. 

Anyway, just a thought but trying to think like the owners and not a fan is pretty entertaining.

The sale to the Walmarts was in the pipeline for some time - I doubt that many decisions were made without sounding them out first. Plus the Walmarts were already in charge when Wilson's contract extension was signed.

At the end of the day any GM/owner needing a QB would have made the trade for Wilson and most would have signed the extended contract. The problem was pairing a prima donna like Wilson with a happly/clappy rookie HC like Hackett. People say that the prospect of getting Rodgers had nothing to do with the hiring of Hackett - I think this is being underestimated. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if Hackett pitched it at the interview. Wilson was plan B and it is clear that Paton didn't do his due diligence - primarily how someone like Wilson, and his team, would try and run the show over the head of the rookie HC. Hackett was clearly the wrong type of personality for trying to manage Wilson. Indeed Fangio would have been a much better bet as HC in that circumstance. The big blunder from Paton was hiring Hackett, not trading for Wilson.

Last point about the Walmarts - they didn't become multi-billionaires by throwing money away. They are not going to do that with the Broncos. They bought the team because it is a very lucrative investment. They want to see that investment paying dividends. A losing Broncos team does nothing for the image of a (financially) successful Walmart. I think that is what is behind the impatience expressed by Penner at the presser - and why Paton has clearly had his wings clipped.

The Walmarts also know they need to get the fan base onside so a big name HC hiring is the first chance to solidify that. Of course other factors come into play - like the other possible vacancies. I think Harbaugh is much more likely than Payton - the Walmarts would give him the power he wants and pay him a ton of money on a long term contract.  it also doen't require spending draft capital to get him. Whether they can get him of Payton will determine a lot of what happens afterwards. If they fail - then I think Quinn and Schottenheimer is a distinct possibility given their previous association with Wilson - with Shaw being a possible back-up plan. I wouldn't be a fan of Shaw as OC to Harbaugh - I don't follow college football, but by all accounts one of the criticisms of shaw was his lack of innovation in recent years.

15 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The sale to the Walmarts was in the pipeline for some time - I doubt that many decisions were made without sounding them out first. Plus the Walmarts were already in charge when Wilson's contract extension was signed.

At the end of the day any GM/owner needing a QB would have made the trade for Wilson and most would have signed the extended contract. The problem was pairing a prima donna like Wilson with a happly/clappy rookie HC like Hackett. People say that the prospect of getting Rodgers had nothing to do with the hiring of Hackett - I think this is being underestimated. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if Hackett pitched it at the interview. Wilson was plan B and it is clear that Paton didn't do his due diligence - primarily how someone like Wilson, and his team, would try and run the show over the head of the rookie HC. Hackett was clearly the wrong type of personality for trying to manage Wilson. Indeed Fangio would have been a much better bet as HC in that circumstance. The big blunder from Paton was hiring Hackett, not trading for Wilson.

Last point about the Walmarts - they didn't become multi-billionaires by throwing money away. They are not going to do that with the Broncos. They bought the team because it is a very lucrative investment. They want to see that investment paying dividends. A losing Broncos team does nothing for the image of a (financially) successful Walmart. I think that is what is behind the impatience expressed by Penner at the presser - and why Paton has clearly had his wings clipped.

The Walmarts also know they need to get the fan base onside so a big name HC hiring is the first chance to solidify that. Of course other factors come into play - like the other possible vacancies. I think Harbaugh is much more likely than Payton - the Walmarts would give him the power he wants and pay him a ton of money on a long term contract.  it also doen't require spending draft capital to get him. Whether they can get him of Payton will determine a lot of what happens afterwards. If they fail - then I think Quinn and Schottenheimer is a distinct possibility given their previous association with Wilson - with Shaw being a possible back-up plan. I wouldn't be a fan of Shaw as OC to Harbaugh - I don't follow college football, but by all accounts one of the criticisms of shaw was his lack of innovation in recent years.

You may be right, time will tell. I just have a hard time imagining that as a group they'd be willing to relinquish the kind of control it would require to land a big name HC. I also don't think the timing is right either. Our FO is a mess, decision making process is non-existent, same as a long term plan and how to get there. Paton is no Mike Sullivan as far as the cap is concerned and his recent contracts make that very apparent.

These guys also make mistakes but won't repeat them. I think Rosburg makes a lot of sense on many levels. He'll fit in with any long term plan they make, not try to make it.

Anyway, it'll be fun to watch. The approach highly accomplished professionals take to rebuilding this franchise as opposed to what football guys would do IMO will be night and day.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, AKRNA said:

You may be right, time will tell. I just have a hard time imagining that as a group they'd be willing to relinquish the kind of control it would require to land a big name HC. I also don't think the timing is right either. Our FO is a mess, decision making process is non-existent, same as a long term plan and how to get there. Paton is no Mike Sullivan as far as the cap is concerned and his recent contracts make that very apparent.

These guys also make mistakes but won't repeat them. I think Rosburg makes a lot of sense on many levels. He'll fit in with any long term plan they make, not try to make it.

Anyway, it'll be fun to watch. The approach highly accomplished professionals take to rebuilding this franchise as opposed to what football guys would do IMO will be night and day.

What recent contracts that Paton gave are bad? Aside from Russ, which is bad for other reasons, not necessarily the contract itself.

There are a lot of clues pointing to the Broncos shifting to a HC-run football operation rather than GM-run. The first hint was the new coach reporting directly to Penner instead of Paton.  

They want a big fish but the only way to land one is to let them run the show. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

What recent contracts that Paton gave are bad? Aside from Russ, which is bad for other reasons, not necessarily the contract itself.

It's the contract structure, not really the contract value. They're heavily backloaded, something we got away from with Sullivan.

3 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

He was calling plays for a few weeks though, if you thought he was it why change anything?

It appears we're in audition mode which is proper. They've never actually let these guys do their job from game planning to play calling. We're seeing what we've got without Hackett and so far, so good.

Typical your OC and QB coach kinda work in tandem with the OC calling plays. Kinda bizarre we're playing our 15th game and our 1st with conventional roles. Looks to me like the loss of Hackett is addition by subtraction.