Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I am clearly the minority, but I'm not that sold on Harbaugh. I completely acknowledge his past success. But he also wore out his welcome quickly and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. To be clear, I don't think he's the worst hire we can make. But a part of me feels like this is a move designed to appeal to casual fans more than anything to  gin up excitement for the team.

I'd make sure I understood clearly what the issues were in his last NFL tenure and what went wrong. He's been out of the league awhile. College coaches sometimes struggle if they don't treat professionals differently than the college kids. Not saying this will be an issue for Harbaugh but I think it should at least be mentioned.

I do view Harbaugh as the front runner for this gig for a number of reasons. It really depends if we wants to come here and what assurances he gets about Russ and his ability to make decisions on personnel. I am certain money won't be an issue.

As fas the bolded, I do think that is certainly part of the appeal of Harbaugh as the Walmarts’ have a desperate desire to get in the good graces of fans.

Hiring the “star” HC in Harbaugh will be very well-received by the local media from whom the casual fans get the majority of their information, they will have a PR blitz like we haven’t seen since Russ was signed with everyone lauding the Walmarts for “swinging big” and landing the hottest name on the market and one whom casual fans know is well-regarded. They won’t have to have Klis bend over backwards by trying to “sell” the hire the way he was out there selling the Vic hire by saying “I know people wanted the next Sean McVay but remember Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and Pete Carroll are all in their 60s like Fangio is” or when they had to sell Vance as “a leader of men” when 90%+ of the fanbase wanted Kyle. 

All that said, it doesn’t mean that Harbaugh would be the wrong hire or even a suboptimal hire. A lot of the casual fans loved the Kubiak hire while others, including several here, wanted hot coordinator Dan Quinn. It was proven that Elway’s choice of Kubiak was 10000000% the right one. 

I also don’t view Harbaugh as a “college coach” the way I would even David Shaw (a hire both you and me would like a lot and have said as much now for several cycles) or someone else, e.g. Meyer, Kingbury, Kelley, etc., as Harbaugh played in the NFL for a long time, coached recently for a jewel franchise that had fallen on hard times due to bad coaching hires, ownership transition/controversy (not at all dissimilar to us) and has a brother who knows the ins and outs of the pro game exceptionally well. 

Harbaugh is not without his flaws and some concerns, I acknowledge that, but of the lot of candidates available or conceivably available, he appears the best choice and I frankly don’t think it’s close.

I will say, speaking from a PR perspective, the Walmarts better get Harbaugh (or Payton) because they have put it out EVERYWHERE they are going big and if they come back and have to sell a Dan Quinn or Frank Reich or a rookie hot coordinator, such a hire will go over like a lead balloon with the fanbase.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

As long as the Broncos start winning, the team could hire ME, and people would be happy. At this point, it's purely a question of outcomes (particularly offensive outcomes).

Also, I will say what I said before. I think the Broncos are a more attractive destination than people have been saying. We have a very, very good defense. A SB winning defense with the right offense in place. No other team with a coaching vacancy can make that sort of claim. Super wealthy owners and money to spend. An offensive core in place. It all comes down to whether a coach believes in Russ and think they can maximize his skillset. If the answer is yes, this is the job for you. Particularly if you look at Denver's performance this year and you see the number of games lost by a TD or less. Bring in a system that improves the offense by 8 spots and this is a playoff team. 

I am not a big Harbaugh fan, but he’s my top choice.  He’s been a tremendously successful HC at numerous stops and he comes in with a pedigree that Wilson and “his team” won’t be able and probably won’t even try to trample over.  

On 1/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, broncos67 said:

I am clearly the minority, but I'm not that sold on Harbaugh. I completely acknowledge his past success. But he also wore out his welcome quickly and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. To be clear, I don't think he's the worst hire we can make. But a part of me feels like this is a move designed to appeal to casual fans more than anything to  gin up excitement for the team.

I'd make sure I understood clearly what the issues were in his last NFL tenure and what went wrong. He's been out of the league awhile. College coaches sometimes struggle if they don't treat professionals differently than the college kids. Not saying this will be an issue for Harbaugh but I think it should at least be mentioned.

I do view Harbaugh as the front runner for this gig for a number of reasons. It really depends if we wants to come here and what assurances he gets about Russ and his ability to make decisions on personnel. I am certain money won't be an issue.

Well, did my due diligence the last day or two and I'm in your court. 

I always liked Jim as a player, not great but fiesty. Took a good look at his NFL coaching stint and really found nothing remarkable. He took a team already built and got them to the playoffs. 

Didn't seem to draft that well but how much of that was him I don't know. On the plus side he did a good job picking his Staff. His best hire which really elevated the team was his DC, a guy that turned an average unit into one of the top 3 for 3 years running. Along with an above average offense, just outside of top 10, and a great "D", led by some guy named Fangio, they were perennial contenders. 

His 4th year the defense lost 3 of 4 great LB's, dropped to #10 and the team to .500 ball and the point differential dropped  168 points from the previous year. That's pretty much it. The team continued it's freefall for a while after that.

I'm not really too interested in his college record. The failure rate of top college HC's jumping to the NFL is huge.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, did my due diligence the last day or two and I'm in your court. 

I always liked Jim as a player, not great but fiesty. Took a good look at his NFL coaching stint and really found nothing remarkable. He took a team already built and got them to the playoffs. 

Didn't seem to draft that well but how much of that was him I don't know. On the plus side he did a good job picking his Staff. His best hire which really elevated the team was his DC, a guy that turned an average unit into one of the top 3 for 3 years running. Along with an above average offense, just outside of top 10, and a great "D", led by some guy named Fangio, they were perennial contenders. 

His 4th year the defense lost 3 of 4 great LB's, dropped to #10 and the team to .500 ball and the point differential dropped  168 points from the previous year. That's pretty much it. The team continued it's freefall for a while after that.

I'm not really too interested in his college record. The failure rate of top college HC's jumping to the NFL is huge.

Re: drafting - that was a major issue due to GM Trent Baalke having control.   It’s a major reason that led to the power struggle that went down between those 2.   The ideal of course if he is hired is that Harbaugh & Paton are in sync - but Paton’s excellence in draft evaluation, roster construction and cap management remains.  

It’s why I point out the major risk with Harbaugh is wanting too much control.   But I wouldn’t lay the 49er drafts at his feet - just call it an unknown if he was in full control.   Still I’d far prefer that area remain in Paton’s wheelhouse given how strong he’s been there.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Re: drafting - that was a major issue due to GM Trent Baalke having control.   It’s a major reason that led to the power struggle that went down between those 2.   The ideal of course if he is hired is that Harbaugh & Paton are in sync - but Paton’s excellence in draft evaluation, roster construction and cap management remains.  

It’s why I point out the major risk with Harbaugh is wanting too much control.   But I wouldn’t lay the 49er drafts at his feet - just call it an unknown if he was in full control.   Still I’d far prefer that area remain in Paton’s wheelhouse given how strong he’s been there.  

He seems more like a Red Miller type. If somebody else builds the team he could maximize it for a few years. After that you're on a steady decline. We just don't have the line talent to compete on that high a level. Harbaugh would be a waste.

Interesting nuggets dropping out today.

Joel Klatt, who covers the Big 10 for Fox, said, in effect, Harbaugh isn’t leaving Michigan and instead trying to get leverage for a Saban-like contract by using NFL interest from us, Carolina and Indy, among others, as leverage.

Two, Klis said he doesn’t think Frank Reich is under serious consideration here as a HC. 

Both Klis and Renck keep mentioning Dan Quinn, who had a losing record (24-29) without Kyle as his OC, as a “name to watch.” Speculation on their part? Or inside info? My guess is some of both. Leslie Frazier also gets mentioned a lot.

Everyone is still saying the Walmarts want to “swing for the fences” and want to “hit a home run” with the next HC hire. Landing Dan Quinn or Leslie Frazier would be seeing-eye single legged out by a fast leadoff hitter. 

If we don’t get Harbaugh or Payton I’d rather roll the dice on a high upside hot coordinator like DeMeco Ryans or Shane Steichen. 

• Like 1

So, here's what I think will happen. I think before we "roll the dice or swing for the fences" we call John Harbaugh and ask him about Rosburg. After all, he was Jerry's boss for the last 11 years of his career until he retired. Their careers are remarkably similar by the way. 

We'll ask him what he thinks about Rosburg as a HC and he'll respond with "He'd be great all he's ever needed is a shot. I can't think of anyone that deserves it more or is more qualified". 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RosbJe0.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HarbJo0.htm

What really sticks out is how few NFL jobs these two have had for such long careers. Harbaughs only had 2, Rosburg 3 but one of those was a one and done in Atlanta when they fired the entire staff his first year there.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:46 AM, AKRNA said:

So, here's what I think will happen. I think before we "roll the dice or swing for the fences" we call John Harbaugh and ask him about Rosburg. After all, he was Jerry's boss for the last 11 years of his career until he retired. Their careers are remarkably similar by the way. 

We'll ask him what he thinks about Rosburg as a HC and he'll respond with "He'd be great all he's ever needed is a shot. I can't think of anyone that deserves it more or is more qualified". 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RosbJe0.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HarbJo0.htm

What really sticks out is how few NFL jobs these two have had for such long careers. Harbaughs only had 2, Rosburg 3 but one of those was a one and done in Atlanta when they fired the entire staff his first year there.

Rosburg does not stand a chance at being the coach of this team. I'm not suggesting he can't or won't be a good coach, but the reality is, he was retired before he was brought in to assist Hackett in the basics of the job. He's never been mentioned as a HC that I can remember, and who's to say he even wants the job? He coached one game, and while I admit the team looked prepared, I cannot imagine he's the type of hire the Walmarts are looking for. 

• Like 2

Yeah if Rosburg wants to stick around as special teams coordinator that would be great. But that’s where the conversation ends. And he sounds like he’s done coaching but was happy to be substitute teacher for a couple weeks. 

In the end I think it will be Harbaugh or Quinn. 

• Like 1