He so bad.....he Savage! When a safety misses a tackle, now you must say that he was Savaged.

vegas492

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To be fair?  No.  Just mentioned him in a few random posts a very, very long time ago.

But in no way were the posts like the A Rodgers, Clark, Watson and Savage threads.

I just said you said you never noticed Wyatt. So like 2+ sacks Sunday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

Do a thread for Nijman or Tonyan, please.  Or maybe Cobby?  Whoever needs to emerge from the darkness to make this improbable run needs a damn call out. 

It's never worked that way.  Sorry.

When this has worked, it's has come naturally.  Once I was asked to "do another one".  And I did.  But it did not specify who needed to be done.

I've thought long and hard about this and no one is coming to mind just yet.  I'm unsure if there will be another one.

Again, it needs to happen naturally.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey...I was thinking about Salvage.....

I don't feel like he is necessarily "done" as a safety, but I can't deny that he looked better as a slot/corner/cover guy.

JA, Douglas, Stokes, Salvage.....others (and I thought Nixon played okay as a CB, too)

Should GB be looking to deal a corner like Douglas or Stokes to get more playing time for Salvage as a corner?

I lean more towards "no", in that you cannot have too many corners in this league...and Salvage has some elite S reps....to go with his hideous S reps, so there is comfort knowing that he can do both.

But, I'm curious as to what others think and feel about him and his future.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Hey...I was thinking about Salvage.....

I don't feel like he is necessarily "done" as a safety, but I can't deny that he looked better as a slot/corner/cover guy.

JA, Douglas, Stokes, Salvage.....others (and I thought Nixon played okay as a CB, too)

Should GB be looking to deal a corner like Douglas or Stokes to get more playing time for Salvage as a corner?

I lean more towards "no", in that you cannot have too many corners in this league...and Salvage has some elite S reps....to go with his hideous S reps, so there is comfort knowing that he can do both.

But, I'm curious as to what others think and feel about him and his future.

We retained Joe Barry so I've basically accepted that Savage is ruined. Not counting him as a Gute bust, he's a LaFleur bust. Savage has all the tools to be a top 5 safety in the league.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We retained Joe Barry so I've basically accepted that Savage is ruined. Not counting him as a Gute bust, he's a LaFleur bust. Savage has all the tools to be a top 5 safety in the league.

But he looked better as a corner with Barry than a safety.

Would you try to deal him (Salvage)?  Or someone else?  

Just trying to find a way to make a roster better and if Salvage is a decent enough 3rd corner, we don't play 4 of them often enough to be afforded the luxury of a good 4'th corner, so maybe we can upgrade somewhere else via a trade.

That's kind of my point.  And I lean more towards keeping as many cover guys as we can have.

Just now, vegas492 said:

But he looked better as a corner with Barry than a safety.

Would you try to deal him (Salvage)?  Or someone else?  

Just trying to find a way to make a roster better and if Salvage is a decent enough 3rd corner, we don't play 4 of them often enough to be afforded the luxury of a good 4'th corner, so maybe we can upgrade somewhere else via a trade.

That's kind of my point.  And I lean more towards keeping as many cover guys as we can have.

The more DBs, the merrier. I wouldn't deal any of them.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah if I'm Savage I'd want a trade, even if it looks like it's because he sucks. Way more potential somewhere else. 

23 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean his instincts seem subpar and he's a bottom 10 tackler in the league at his position. Those are pretty important safety skills, and while good coaching can "help" the tackling aspect, you can't just blame that on the staff and absolve the player. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean his instincts seem subpar and he's a bottom 10 tackler in the league at his position. Those are pretty important safety skills, and while good coaching can "help" the tackling aspect, you can't just blame that on the staff and absolve the player. 

Not sure he's a bottom 10 tackler in the league.  His missed tackle % is right in line with most NFL safeties.  He has 7 tackles for loss over the past three season, which puts him in a 5 way tie for 29th among safeties in that time, which is clearly at least NFL starter level.  As far as instincts, he's T-10th in INTs and T-5th in PD since 2020; now granted, he's also T-2nd in TDs allowed so I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have his issues, but he makes a lot more plays for a safety than I think people realize. 

People blow out of proportion the actual struggles Savage has.  The question with him is not whether he is a NFL caliber safety, it's whether his play is worth a second contract in a capped league.  Is he a good enough safety to be worth the big increase in cash he'll cost you over a rookie/street FA?  Is he actually worth $7.9 million as it stands today?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Not sure he's a bottom 10 tackler in the league.  His missed tackle % is right in line with most NFL safeties.  He has 7 tackles for loss over the past three season, which puts him in a 5 way tie for 29th among safeties in that time, which is clearly at least NFL starter level.  As far as instincts, he's T-10th in INTs and T-5th in PD since 2020; now granted, he's also T-2nd in TDs allowed so I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have his issues, but he makes a lot more plays for a safety than I think people realize. 

People blow out of proportion the actual struggles Savage has.  The question with him is not whether he is a NFL caliber safety, it's whether his play is worth a second contract in a capped league.  Is he a good enough safety to be worth the big increase in cash he'll cost you over a rookie/street FA?  Is he actually worth $7.9 million as it stands today?

That at the end is truly the multi-million dollar question. Will he wash out like HHCD? Or find success elsewhere like Micah Hyde if his strengths are featured?