As a Fan Throughout the Drought Era All I'll Say is- Enjoy These Times!

WizeGuy

Seriously! Many of us who have suffered through the drought era would've killed for our team to become this successful. This isn't a fluke season. This is who they are; a team that is consistently a contender and near the top of the standings at year's end. 

In their last 4 seasons Buffalo now has 12 wins, 11 wins, 13 wins, and 10 wins. That is INCREDIBLY difficult to do in this league. They're one of the most successful teams of these past 4 seasons. 

We run the AFCE. Three straight division titles. We locked it up early this year. Our division record is still strong even though the teams within our division are getting tougher and becoming a PITA.

We have our elite QB locked up long-term at a rate that's going to age well. We haven't sold the farm to become elite. Beane built it from the ground up, and continues to add to the foundation with smart draft picks that become cheap talent. 

We've won playoffs games the past two seasons. Obviously, we all want to get over the hump, but let's not neglect how difficult it is to win a Superbowl. Tom Brady was once asked what he would've liked to know after winning his first Superbowl and he responded with (paraphrasing) " I wish I would've understood how difficult it is to win a championship in this league."

If you think of some of the great QBs these past few decades- it becomes even more clear how difficult it is to win even one Superbowl. 

So, regardless of what happens in the post season- just enjoy having a team that has the potential to win it all year-in-and-year-out for the foreseeable future. What a time to be a Bills fan!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

I was thinking about this after the Bears game. It is unbelievable how quickly the tide turn from one of the worst teams in the league, or "in the hunt" but need X,Y and Z to happen on top of winning out.

The three straight division titles is absolutely amazing. This is the year I probably care the least, only because the goal of the 1 seed is still right there for the taking. That's what I, and I imagine most of us really, really want.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Seriously! Many of us who have suffered through the drought era would've killed for our team to become this successful. This isn't a fluke season. This is who they are; a team that is consistently a contender and near the top of the standings at year's end. 

In their last 4 seasons Buffalo now has 12 wins, 11 wins, 13 wins, and 10 wins. That is INCREDIBLY difficult to do in this league. They're one of the most successful teams of these past 4 seasons. 

We run the AFCE. Three straight division titles. We locked it up early this year. Our division record is still strong even though the teams within our division are getting tougher and becoming a PITA.

We have our elite QB locked up long-term at a rate that's going to age well. We haven't sold the farm to become elite. Beane built it from the ground up, and continues to add to the foundation with smart draft picks that become cheap talent. 

We've won playoffs games the past two seasons. Obviously, we all want to get over the hump, but let's not neglect how difficult it is to win a Superbowl. Tom Brady was once asked what he would've liked to know after winning his first Superbowl and he responded with (paraphrasing) " I wish I would've understood how difficult it is to win a championship in this league."

If you think of some of the great QBs these past few decades- it becomes even more clear how difficult it is to win even one Superbowl. 

So, regardless of what happens in the post season- just enjoy having a team that has the potential to win it all year-in-and-year-out for the foreseeable future. What a time to be a Bills fan!

Awesome post. You really put things into perspective. I think some Bills fans and even some fans on this forum have forgotten where we came from and think that winning a SB is the only way to achieve satisfaction, but I think we should all take a step back and enjoy the ride once in awhile.

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’ll be trying to go to all home playoff games, I’m not taking it for granted one bit. 

Me too man.

Been lucky enough to go to games with my dad ever since 2000 and didn’t miss a game between 2002-2005 seasons. 

Still haven’t seen a playoff game in person due to the border being closed. Can’t remember why we didn’t go last year.

This year, got the hotel booked for three straight weekends. Hoping to cancel the wildcard weekend soon lol

Incoming old man post:

Pretty crazy growing up in a Cleveland Browns household, but I have drawings from when I was in 1st grade about how the Bills were going to beat the Cowboys and "Moose" Johnston.

Some of my earliest memories growing up was watching the original run of the Bills and the 4 superbowls, but didn't really understand the gravitas of what was happening. Since then I have struggled, watching us hire guys like Gregg Williams over other candidates we interviewed like Marvin Lewis. Handing the reigns pf the team to Tom Donahoe who buried this team so bad that Ralph was gun shy to give anyone that much power and spending freedom until it was too late.

I even played peewee football next to a packing plant for Rich Foods and always imagined that the small field we played on was Rich Field. I am definitely enjoying this time and know what a championship for Buffalo will mean even to those who have been fans longer than I.

I am even more proud of this fan base. The Bills Mafia movement and donations to charitable organizations. It's nice to be a part of that community. It shines even more when you move to a different area with different rooting interests where fans seem to care more about talking trash on the opposing team rather than rooting for their own.

I truly do appreciate this team. Everything from the front office, to the coaching staff, to the players, and the fan base.  They all seem to be doing things the "right" way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’ll be trying to go to all home playoff games, I’m not taking it for granted one bit. 

Same. My first playoff game was last year against the Pats. That's going to be hard to top. I'm really, really hoping we host an AFC championship game this year. Fingers crossed!