Week 17 Thread: Win + GB Loss + DET loss + SEA loss and we clinch THIS week.

MikeT14

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk

Carson Wentz

30 WAS QB 11 7 6 2-4-0 156 248 62.9 1612 11 4.4 6 2.4 76 75 6.5 6.3 10.3 230.3 86.3 32.6 23

Taylor Heinicke

2022 29 WAS QB 4 9 9 5-3-1 161 259 62.2 1859 12 4.6 6 2.3 93 61 7.2 7.1 11.5 206.6 89.6 45.0 19

@Slappy Mc This is the best I could find brother. I didn't include passing metrics. 

Look at the week 14/bye week thread. At that point Heinicke had been the starter for 6 or 7 weeks I believe. Carson Wentz was still the leader all major categories I believe. 

Either way, we all know stats don't tell the full story. Heinicke ran the offense "better" but has never been the better QB. Hopefully with the extra time watching, Carson is effective this week. 

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Look at the week 14/bye week thread. At that point Heinicke had been the starter for 6 or 7 weeks I believe. Carson Wentz was still the leader all major categories I believe. 

Either way, we all know stats don't tell the full story. Heinicke ran the offense "better" but has never been the better QB. Hopefully with the extra time watching, Carson is effective this week. 

The only thing you have to judge Carson being a better QB on is literally how hard & far he can throw the ball & he threw for a lot of yards vs Jax, Det & Tenn bc we were behind most of the game so Turner threw it 41, 46 & 38 times.

When we threw it that many times with Taylor last year he also put up a lot of stats & we won both of those games at home vs the NYG & on the road vs ATL unlike Carson going 1-2 in the games he threw for 300 yds.

Heinicke vs NYG in 2021: 74%, 336 yds & 2 TDs

Heinicke @ ATL in 2021: 70%, 290 yds & 3 TDs

Edited by turtle28

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The only thing you have to judge Carson being a better QB on is literally how hard & far he can throw the ball & he threw for a lot of yards vs Jax, Det & Tenn bc we were behind most of the game so Turner threw it 41, 46 & 38 times.

When we threw it that many times with Taylor last year he also put up a lot of stats & we won both of those games at home vs the NYG & on the road vs ATL unlike Carson going 1-2 in the games he threw for 300 yds.

This is a blatant mischaracterization of the facts. This season, with this team, after 6 games of starting Carson Wentz was better in every statistical category other than Sacks taken and Rush yards. (Taylor might have had 1 less INT too, not sure) 

Edited by Slappy Mc

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:
39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Expand  

This is a blatant mischaracterization of the facts. This season, with this team, after 6 games of starting Carson Wentz was better in every statistical category other than Sacks taken and Rush yards. (Taylor might have had 1 less INT too, not sure)

The point is, even with how poorly he played this season, im not a denier of his bad play, it was still better that what Taylor produced with a much better defense and a decent/solid run game. 

It's silly that people expect Wentz to be worse than Heinicke, because even on a new team, without solid chemistry with the offense, he was better than Taylor.

Also I think @Jeezy Fanatic was the one to point out that Terry wasn't targeted as much in his starts. I want to remind everyone that Terry missed the entire training camp because of his contract dispute. Which meant come season time, he had been throwing to him for about a week or two. Whereas Curtis and Jahan were there through the whole training camp and their chemistry was more apparent.

• Like 1

I can't believe people are actually arguing for Carson Wentz.  Rivera is intent on proving himself right.  I sure hope he is.  I am pretty sure he won't be.  We will see a similar result.  We will play close games and if we win, we will win by slim margins 

The excuse making for Wentz early on is a bit over the top.   This talk about not having Robinson early, well please remember Heinicke didn't have a healthy Dotson until we started losing again.  And Terry didn't get the ball early because Wentz didn't throw it his way.  The reason we didn't run the ball well is because Wentz was a statue.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I can't believe people are actually arguing for Carson Wentz.  Rivera is intent on proving himself right.  I sure hope he is.  I am pretty sure he won't be.  We will see a similar result.  We will play close games and if we win, we will win by slim margins 

The excuse making for Wentz early on is a bit over the top.   This talk about not having Robinson early, well please remember Heinicke didn't have a healthy Dotson until we started losing again.  And Terry didn't get the ball early because Wentz didn't throw it his way.  The reason we didn't run the ball well is because Wentz was a statue.  

Honestly I think defending them is like comparing diet soda to soda that tastes good. They both aren't good and neither resemble a functioning QB. 

Also LOL at our running inefficiency being due to our QB being a statue. 

I guess Taylor Heinicke just hands the ball off better.

Comical.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly I think defending them is like comparing diet soda to soda that tastes good. They both aren't good and neither resemble a functioning QB. 

Also LOL at our running inefficiency being due to our QB being a statue. 

I guess Taylor Heinicke just hands the ball off better.

Comical.

If that is what you believe, then why make a change?  If Wentz isn't significantly better, this is a bad move.  You certainly don't make a change to the qb who the team is less motivated to play for only for marginal gains.

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If that is what you believe, then why make a change?  If Wentz isn't significantly better, this is a bad move.  You certainly don't make a change to the qb who the team is less motivated to play for only for marginal gains.

You literally have zero evidence to this notion. 

The change was correct because TH wasn't protecting the ball and getting the job done. They loaded the box and dared TH to throw and he failed.

Carson didn't get Taylor benched. Taylor got Taylor benched. 

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You literally have zero evidence to this notion. 

The change was correct because TH wasn't protecting the ball and getting the job done. They loaded the box and dared TH to throw and he failed.

Carson didn't get Taylor benched. Taylor got Taylor benched. 

Taylor basically had the best game a QB has had against this Niners defense during their win streak just FYI

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Taylor basically had the best game a QB has had against this Niners defense during their win streak just FYI

We watched the same game. He didn't get the job done. I'm not saying that Wentz would have, just that Heinicke needed to play great and he didn't. 

I just find what they’re doing as grimy. The season was basically over with Wentz starting. We were a BSJ missed tackle away from being 1-5. Heinicke comes in, team improves and we get into playoff contention and actually hold a playoff seed. Blame Heinicke for the loss at the Giants even though it was very clear the refs had a bad night. Blame him for the tie against the giants even though he drove us across the 50 and into potential field goal range before Scott Turner decided to derp. I’m not saying Heinicke didn’t have a hand in the tie and loss because he did but then benching him after the Niners game?

You had Nick Bosa lining up against Logan Thomas. Ron Rivera going for it on our own 34 and then Scott Turner calling 4 straight run plays to kill a drive at the one yard line. Maybe I’m crazy because others seem to think Wentz is going to thrive now but I think the team was thriving because Wentz was no longer on the field. Rivera should be let go if we lose to the Browns. He won’t be but he should. Just an absolutely ridiculous decision to bench the guy who basically saved the season and his job. 

Wentz is the hot chick who cheats on you and has major baggage but you (Rivera) just can’t help yourself. Instead of staying with the cute nice chick who treats you well you dump her because the hot chick is back in town and this time it’s gonna be different.