2018 QBs

brooks1957

I fully expect the Browns to clear the decks of all the QBs currently on the roster - and start 2018 fresh. I had been holding out hope that the light was starting to come on for Kizer after two non-negative to positive games. Then last week happened. That was a major red flag to me. What really upset me was how "sloppy" the turnovers were. So I think that was the kill shot. Also contributing to this thought is I think that Hue will not return.

So, here is what I think happens -

I see the Browns drafting a QB at the top of round 1. If they burn the top pick on a QB - I bet it is Rosen. But another plausible scenario would be select Saquon at 1, and then get Baker Mayfield with the Texans pick, and that should be in the 8-10 range. I think a lot of people are turned off by Baker because of his brashness. I get that. But if you look at his game tape from his point of view - he's a hell of a QB.

That's QB number 1. I hope the guy I am looking at for QB2 lasts until round 3, and that is Virginia senior Kurt Benkert. I think he is a lot more pro ready than people give him credit for.

So, you now have 2 rookies on your squad. You absolutely, without a doubt you must sign a credible veteran QB to complete your QB room. Here are some guys I was thinking about.

There are 5 veteran QBs who I think could offer mentorship to the youngsters, as well as still having enough in the tank to play well if called upon.

QB EJ Manuel

Currently on the Raiders roster - buried on the depth chart behind Derek Carr. He will be a free agent in 2018.

Interest: Mild

QB Chad Henne

Currently on the Jaguars roster as Blake Bortles' backup. This could get tricky, as I am not sure the Jags are sold on Bortles as their long term QB. If they move on from Bortles, I'm sure the smart money will be on him returning to Jacksonville. He too will be a free agent next season.

Interest: High

QB Case Keenum

Currently the starter for the Vikings and the Browns got an up close and personal display of his talents three games ago. He is currently on the last year of his contract, and the Vikings may allow him to walk if they feel Teddy Bridgewater is ready to go.

Interest: High to Very High

QB Nick Foles

Currently a backup for Carson Wentz and the Eagles in Philadelphia - Nick has had what probably can be described as a successful NFL career. He still is on the desirable side of 30, and he is under contract for just $4 million for 2018. Easily a trade could be worked out.

Interest:

Medium to High

QB Eli Manning

This certainly is the biggest risk of all the QBs. However, even if the Giants move on from Eli and draft a youngster - they make the decision that his contract is just too expensive for them to swallow as a backup QB. Anyone signing Eli needs to make sure they are not paying more for what he has been against what he still can add to the team. I would be tempted to bring him on board for his very desirable leadership skills. Can you imagine the benefit to having him in the QB room? Anyquestion as to why things may be done a certain way - all Eli has to do is show two pieces of jewelry. Discussion over.

And one last side note - could Eli's presence here facilitate getting a new director of football operations? One that used to wear number 18?

Interest: High

Thoughts everyone?

I am not in the camp of drafting a non-qb first, and then getting one with our 2nd first round pick.  That makes 0 sense to me.  It is the most important position on the field, and I would not be willing to take "whatever is left" with Houston's pick.

I am definitely not on the Baker Mayfield bandwagon either.  He is not tall.  He has maturity issues.  And I really need to see if he even has an NFL arm.

Draft Rosen or Darnold

Sign Alex Smith

Keep Kizer as your 3

I am becoming a Mayfield homer/apologist, so yeah, I'd take him #1.  He is a bit smol, but I don't mind; as one poster noted, his mugshot listed him at better than 6'0.5", which works for me.  I see him as being the best passer in this class & a surefire hit, which is saying a lot for a signal caller.  I agree with bpp that we have to grab our guy #1, even though I'd love to have it work out so we could get Barkley & Mayfield.  I'd love Alex Smith next year and ease the rookie in.

The depth should be: Vet, Kizer, and the rookie. I don't care how much promise the rookie shows in preseaon... This year we went 4-0 with Kizer and LOOK how that turned out!!!! Let the Vet play. Any luck we'll win a few more games next season. 

Keep Hue, Fire Hue. I'm indifferent anymore. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

9 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I am not in the camp of drafting a non-qb first, and then getting one with our 2nd first round pick.  That makes 0 sense to me.  It is the most important position on the field, and I would not be willing to take "whatever is left" with Houston's pick.

I am definitely not on the Baker Mayfield bandwagon either.  He is not tall.  He has maturity issues.  And I really need to see if he even has an NFL arm.

Draft Rosen or Darnold

Sign Alex Smith

Keep Kizer as your 3

But, respectfully, what if Oakland had the same philosophy when they took Mack then Derek Carr?? Think about it. I think Baker is the best qb in this draft, but GMs will be scared to draft him because of the height and off-field nonsense. Gms will be afraid drafting Baker is like drafting the next JFF and shy away, to a degree similar to GMs shying away from Derek Carr because his brother was a flop. 

So, if I think I can draft the best qb at number 8 and draft the best player in the draft at 1, why not? It seems smart to me.

PS, I personally would never draft a RB at number 1. I also dont think anyone is overwhelmingly the best player in this draft, like Myles Garrett last year. So Id consider using Rosen as trade bait, trading out of one, take Baker with the Texans pick, get a good CB with my next pick, and so on. But thats just me.

I think people are seriously underestimating Baker Mayfield. Let me give you some thoughts that might make people rethink.

-The comparison to Johnny Manziel is lazy. They are not similar as people think. Johnny was a rich kid who was talented and had the world handed to him. Hence, he got a big head and came crashing down to earth. Mayfield was a walk-on and had to fight his way with his play to ultimately earn the starting spot and become one of the best passers in college. Johnnys behavior comes from entitlement, Mayfields behavior comes from always being the guy to prove himself to get to where he is and he wont let people take that away from him. They have a completely different mindset but Mayfield's taunting is more similar to Phillip Rivers, not Johnny.

-Mayfield makes NFL throws. Point blank period. He can run like Johnny, but his passing ability from the pocket is far superior to Johnnys. Each and every week during a OU game Mayfield is dropping dimes all over the field. Timing routes, fade routes, deep posts you name it. He can make the reads and throw accurately into tight windows. Johnny was more of a playground style with a lot of jump balls and making something out of breakdown plays. Mayfield is miles ahead as a true pocket passer with 3 step drop throws.

-I will keep saying it, height (not weight) is the biggest misnomer in judging a QB. Most all QBs read defenses by seeing the WRs through the splits in the offensive line. Not just being tall enough to see over the line considering most offensive linemen are 6'4-6'6" At best 'tall' QBs are just as big as their offensive linemen. Again, QBs see WRs through splits and it matters if you can read a defense, not see over them. The average height of a offensive linemen is 6'5". The only QBs in the NFL taller than the average offensive linemen who can 'see over' the line by a whopping 1 inch are Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, Nick Foles and Joe Flacco... Horray.

-Mayfield is nearly a carbon copy of Tyrod Taylor in terms of height/weight and I would say Mayfield has more elite arm talent than Taylor. Mayfield is 2 inches taller than Russel Wilson and Drew Brees and only 1 inch shorter than Andy Dalton, Aaron Rodgers and Teddy Bridgewater. He is Tyrod Taylor with a more talented arm.

11 hours ago, dawgattack said:

Sign a vet. Draft Darnold/Rosen. Keep Kizer.

I remember everyone once thinking the Redskins were foolish to draft Cousins in the same draft where they gave up a ransom to get RG3. Nothing wrong with hedging your bets (i.e. Rookie QB and Kizer).

I want t say the foolish part was they drafted another QB pretty high. Washington just traded a buttload to get the #2 pick and than in the 3rd they drafted another QB. At the moment it was dumb cause they should of invested in other areas to help out their #2 overall pick, but now it was a a move that pretty much saved the franchise

Archived