2018 QBs

brooks1957

9 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

But, respectfully, what if Oakland had the same philosophy when they took Mack then Derek Carr?? Think about it. I think Baker is the best qb in this draft, but GMs will be scared to draft him because of the height and off-field nonsense. Gms will be afraid drafting Baker is like drafting the next JFF and shy away, to a degree similar to GMs shying away from Derek Carr because his brother was a flop. 

So, if I think I can draft the best qb at number 8 and draft the best player in the draft at 1, why not? It seems smart to me.

PS, I personally would never draft a RB at number 1. I also dont think anyone is overwhelmingly the best player in this draft, like Myles Garrett last year. So Id consider using Rosen as trade bait, trading out of one, take Baker with the Texans pick, get a good CB with my next pick, and so on. But thats just me.

You draft the qb that YOU want at 1....because you believe that they are franchise changers...Do you really think that Oakland assumed they would get Carr in the 2nd?  

If Mayfield is their guy...take him at 1....there are 31 other teams that can blow up ur plan if u take a non qb....then hope to land someone with ur next pick....just not a smart philosophy...especially given this FO track record of passing on QBs

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

You draft the qb that YOU want at 1....because you believe that they are franchise changers...Do you really think that Oakland assumed they would get Carr in the 2nd?  

If Mayfield is their guy...take him at 1....there are 31 other teams that can blow up ur plan if u take a non qb....then hope to land someone with ur next pick....just not a smart philosophy...especially given this FO track record of passing on QBs

^^^^^^^^^^

This all day. We have tried to bandaid the QB position in the late 1st and the 2nd for too long. Weedone, Manziel, Kizer, McCoy, Frye, Etc.  If you got a man in mind that you feel will lead the franchise then pick him and don't look back. Philly did it with Wentz and Houston did it with Watson. They are in a better place because of it. If Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, or Rosen are kids you feel will be the next franchise then take them. Done. Boom. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

If you're not comfortable taking the QB at #1 overall and you'd rather risk playing the value game to try and get him elsewhere in the first, maybe it might just be a better idea to let him go.

You've got to have courage in your convictions about the QB you want. If he's everything you think he is, why even bother risking it and missing out just to try and do some wheeling and dealing. If you take him at 1 and he pans out, it's an A+ draft regardless.

13 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I respect that. I dont neccesarily agree, but I do respect that.

I think what sunk us with the Kizer pick is it shows that sometimes you don't just draft someone because of value. 

QB is the only position you don't pick just because a guy fell. You go with who you think can change your franchise and you don't think twice with your highest pick available.

Even if you "reach" you take a guy that high to build confidence, show trust, and because it's the most important position on the field. There shouldn't be any hedged bets with the QB position at all. 

I can't believe that in a draft with no clear #1 guy at any other position you guys wouldn't take a QB when we have legitimately no one there. 

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think people are seriously underestimating Baker Mayfield. Let me give you some thoughts that might make people rethink.

I agree, but still have reservations about him!

-The comparison to Johnny Manziel is lazy. They are not similar as people think. Johnny was a rich kid who was talented and had the world handed to him. Hence, he got a big head and came crashing down to earth. Mayfield was a walk-on and had to fight his way with his play to ultimately earn the starting spot and become one of the best passers in college. Johnnys behavior comes from entitlement, Mayfields behavior comes from always being the guy to prove himself to get to where he is and he wont let people take that away from him. They have a completely different mindset but Mayfield's taunting is more similar to Phillip Rivers, not Johnny.

He is certainly not comparable to Manziel, his character and intangibles remind me a lot of Brees.

-Mayfield makes NFL throws. Point blank period. He can run like Johnny, but his passing ability from the pocket is far superior to Johnnys. Each and every week during a OU game Mayfield is dropping dimes all over the field. Timing routes, fade routes, deep posts you name it. He can make the reads and throw accurately into tight windows. Johnny was more of a playground style with a lot of jump balls and making something out of breakdown plays. Mayfield is miles ahead as a true pocket passer with 3 step drop throws.

2 sides to this coin. He has a solid pro arm, but Oklahoma runs an offense that does not call on him to make a lot of pro throws, a fact that exposed Bradford, now with Minnesota?

-I will keep saying it, height (not weight) is the biggest misnomer in judging a QB. Most all QBs read defenses by seeing the WRs through the splits in the offensive line. Not just being tall enough to see over the line considering most offensive linemen are 6'4-6'6" At best 'tall' QBs are just as big as their offensive linemen. Again, QBs see WRs through splits and it matters if you can read a defense, not see over them. The average height of a offensive linemen is 6'5". The only QBs in the NFL taller than the average offensive linemen who can 'see over' the line by a whopping 1 inch are Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, Nick Foles and Joe Flacco... Horray.

Unfortunately, for every QB under 6", the success rate is extremely low. Sure we have Brees and Wilson, but when compared against all the failures at that height, you can easily see why GM are scared off drafting them in round 1. He may well prove to be another Brees or Wilson, but it is awful scary to draft him #1 overall.

-Mayfield is nearly a carbon copy of Tyrod Taylor in terms of height/weight and I would say Mayfield has more elite arm talent than Taylor. Mayfield is 2 inches taller than Russel Wilson and Drew Brees and only 1 inch shorter than Andy Dalton, Aaron Rodgers and Teddy Bridgewater. He is Tyrod Taylor with a more talented arm.

Until the Combine weigh in, we are using Oklahoma's figures to tell Mayfield's height, an unreliable source at best. He could easily be 5'11" or even 5"10", which would explain why NFL.com and some other solid draft sites are putting him at the #4 position, behind Darnold, Rosen and Jackson. I really need to see his combine measurements before I could think about drafting him #1 overall???

As for Taylor, iMO, he is a career backup forced into a starting role on a team desperate for some QBing and Taylor has a solid arm, just not accurate enough, so I still believe Brees is a far better comparison. They are both tremendous leaders of men.

In the end, our FO must make the call between 4 QB's, Darnold, Rosen, Jackson and Mayfield and from what I have read, NFL GM's prefer Darnold over them all. Still to be decided I think!!!

Archived