ThanksGiving Mock. 3 Rounds.

zappa13004

Just now, zappa13004 said:

I only watched one game of Stanford and i saw Reid was able to pay FS but maybe im wrong. About the second DE it is more because i think the second BC DE is good and do you think Clayborn will stay ? I know it was mostly versus Chaz Green but he'll probably want a last and relatively big contract. Love your avatar lol

I don't think Reid is an NFL FS, nor do I think Atlanta needs a first round or even second round safety with Allen and Neal holding those spots down. The second DE doesn't make sense when you look at roster depth:

DT: Jarrett

DT/DE: Crawford, Shelby,

DE: Takk, Vic,  Reed

The real need is for a SDE for the DT/DE range, and that will be Bryan. DT is the bigger need there.

3 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Brandon Scherff was a tackle with Iowa and was drafted to play that position. The experiment failed as a RT so they tried him inside and it was succesful. Nelson is a G playing G with ND. A bit different dont you think ?

Scherff was a tackle in college but was projected by most to play guard. He played guard his rookie year in Washington.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Scherff was a tackle in college but was projected by most to play guard. He played guard his rookie year in Washington.

Scherff was announced as a pick as a tackle. 

Before that there were 2 pure guards drafted in the top 10 in 2013 and both are very much considered busts.  The odds of a pure guard going 10 is very slim especially in this class. 

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Scherff was announced as a pick as a tackle. 

Before that there were 2 pure guards drafted in the top 10 in 2013 and both are very much considered busts.  The odds of a pure guard going 10 is very slim especially in this class. 

What in particular about this class would prevent a guard going high?

Just now, Rich7sena said:

What in particular about this class would prevent a guard going high?

the talent level in this class.  Almost a lock there will be 2 qbs picked top 5. Barkley is a top 5 guy all day.  Id take Fitzpatrick in the top 5.  Then you can go with a pass rusher like chubb or key.  Yes nelson is a very good player but guards can be found later in the draft. It doesnt make much sense to draft a guard top 10. Its rare to see them drafted high and looking at the last 2 drafts it happened u can argue both were fairly weak class especially that 2013 class.

Just now, LinderFournette said:

the talent level in this class.  Almost a lock there will be 2 qbs picked top 5. Barkley is a top 5 guy all day.  Id take Fitzpatrick in the top 5.  Then you can go with a pass rusher like chubb or key.  Yes nelson is a very good player but guards can be found later in the draft. It doesnt make much sense to draft a guard top 10. Its rare to see them drafted high and looking at the last 2 drafts it happened u can argue both were fairly weak class especially that 2013 class.

Oh, I definitely agree about 2 QBs likely going in the top 5, plus Chubb, plus Barkley, but I really think the talent evens out from there. I don't think it's fair or sound to look at previous guards who went high and failed and ignore how the position is highly impactful on a down to down basis. Further, there are plenty examples guards and centers who have succeeded and have proven to be elite to very good at their positions after being selected in the first round (Scherff, Martin, DeCastro, Pounceys, Frederick,  Mack). Ultimately, I'm both making the argument that interior lineman should go in the top 10 and teams may start picking them there more often. And certainly more than nose tackles.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Oh, I definitely agree about 2 QBs likely going in the top 5, plus Chubb, plus Barkley, but I really think the talent evens out from there. I don't think it's fair or sound to look at previous guards who went high and failed and ignore how the position is highly impactful on a down to down basis. Further, there are plenty examples guards and centers who have succeeded and have proven to be elite to very good at their positions after being selected in the first round (Scherff, Martin, DeCastro, Pounceys, Frederick,  Mack). Ultimately, I'm both making the argument that interior lineman should go in the top 10 and teams may start picking them there more often. And certainly more than nose tackles.

I think nose tackles who are athletic and can rush the passer a bit are worth a 1st. 

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Those players go top 5 (Suh) and are much more rare. Da'Ron Payne is not that.

He also has payne going top 12.  Teams probably gonna be a bit enamored with payne as he is a freak athlete so he should have some pass rush potential.  I remember when dontari poe came out and he was pretty much thought of as a late 1 early 2 and goes pick 11. 

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

He also has payne going top 12.  Teams probably gonna be a bit enamored with payne as he is a freak athlete so he should have some pass rush potential.  I remember when dontari poe came out and he was pretty much thought of as a late 1 early 2 and goes pick 11. 

Top 12 is very high for a nose tackle. Payne is not a freak athlete. He's a by the numbers nose tackle who comes off the field in passing situations (at least he did in 2016).

On 11/25/2017 at 4:35 AM, zappa13004 said:

Thanks for feedback. I know about Trent Brown so the Kolton Miller's pick wasn't for a supposed upgrade but because Staley is 33. Now than two Niners' fans talk about it, i've just checked and i see Staley is signed until 2020 so you probably right. I know he is still good but with age i thought about bringing in a future replacement but maybe it is too early to take someone for the future.

I replied yet to the Danish fan about Cain and about Jaire Alexander, i did hesitate with Okoronkwo, undersized but an edge guy would be nice, glad you confirm that. About Barkley this is my thought : I do not see the RB position as a great need. Hyde isn't great but good enough and could get a new contract. I rememer the story of Shany "in love" with Joe Williams before the draft and when healthy maybe he could be a nice player ? What i mean is Barkley is not a RB to me but the BPA, a special player and a special character and thats why i see him as a can't miss. But of course if they can work again a trade down, someone like Arden Key or Fitzpatrick would be nice.

It's really hard to say, honestly. Lots of moving parts to that running back grouping. All I know is that Matt Breida will be there next year, and he looks good. Honestly, I think if Williams hadn't been picked as high as he was, he may have been cut this year. Was a natural runner with the ball in his hand, but fumble machine and there are of course other issues with him. I think we put him on the IR to salvage the selection and give him another shot next year, though I think that he's already on the clock to have to earn his spot. Hyde is tough to judge too. He actually has looked better this year than most of his career, has also been healthier (he's lost weight...very obviously quicker and more agile, seems to be holding up better) and has been a better fit in the system than most though that he would be. He should be a cheap re-sign, but that being said, there's been no talk that I know of on an extension, so at the very least, I think he will hit the market, at which point, it's anyone's guess what happens. 

I'm not completely out on the tackle selection as Staley is getting up there in age and we will need a primary back up for the tackle spots for next year, so it's definitely a possibility if they think a tackle is the best player available. I just think it'll happen later in the draft. 

Archived