2023 QB

paraven

With it becoming more likely that Jackson has played his last game as a raven, do you think the ravens will roll with Huntley or draft someone like Will Levis. I could see a team like the Falcons giving up multiple picks for a trade. That would land the ravens a top 5-6 pick next draft. Do we go after someone like Levis, assuming Bryce Young goes #1

Gut tells me we franchise Lamar next year, we see a very similar season to the one we’re having this year (playoff team but not a true SB contender), and then we tag and trade him in 2024 offseason.

I think we’ll also be rolling out a new OC next year in Lamar’s tag year, so at least we’ll finally get to see him in a different offense. If he lights it up we’d obviously try to sign him long term, if not tag and trade. 

I don’t see the guaranteed money hold up being acquiesced on either side so i’d be shocked if we see an extension this offseason 

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Gut tells me we franchise Lamar next year, we see a very similar season to the one we’re having this year (playoff team but not a true SB contender), and then we tag and trade him in 2024 offseason.

I think we’ll also be rolling out a new OC next year in Lamar’s tag year, so at least we’ll finally get to see him in a different offense. If he lights it up we’d obviously try to sign him long term, if not tag and trade. 

I don’t see the guaranteed money hold up being acquiesced on either side so i’d be shocked if we see an extension this offseason 

I agree it would only work if roman is gone, but I cant see that happening. Harbs is stubborn 

5 minutes ago, paraven said:

I agree it would only work if roman is gone, but I cant see that happening. Harbs is stubborn 

He’s stubborn in-season (although he did fire Cam), but he’s pretty self aware once the offseason hits IMO. He got rid of Trestman after 1 year. Forced Mattison out very quickly. Morniwhig was canned as soon as it became clear he wasn’t the best option for Lamar moving forward. Let go of Wink after 1 disastrous season despite a track record of great coordinating.

After this year Harbaugh will get rid of Roman. It was just never going to happen in-season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jpeter15 said:

What do you think Lamar’s trade value is? So hard to determine with his contract demands. 

Another team would take his contract, especially a team like the Jets that have the pieces in place outside of maybe some OL pieces they could sure up a little more, but it’s nothing bad.

NY. Lamar’s swag. A GM with egg on his face from a recent QB draft bust (you don’t get too many of those), I’m sure Jets would go 3 firsts plus some day 2 picks.

If a bidding war ensues then I think his ceiling is 4 1sts. 

I'm just putting this out there. Lamar has finished 3 out of his 5 years here injured. The whole him being injury-prone is kind of becoming a reality at this point. Give me a trade for Lamar and then lock up Roquan tbh if that's what it comes to. Otherwise lock up Lamar, get him in a better offense without Greg Roman and lock up Roquan too while we're at it

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I think the decision gets resolved this offseason. I predict the Ravens will tag him, but also let him talk to other teams and see what they are willing to give him. We actually have plenty of cap space for next year and beyond and the team trading for him will have to think he's worth more than we want to pay him AND the massive draft capital they have to give up. I think it's good and fair for both side to know what the market offers, if there is some giant gap from what we are willing to offer. 

It seems like the culture of this team to be willing to let people go if they get a better offer or really want to. But, I also feel the best fit for both sides is a long term deal here, so I'd be surprised if another team valued him so much more than the Ravens.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I think the decision gets resolved this offseason. I predict the Ravens will tag him, but also let him talk to other teams and see what they are willing to give him. We actually have plenty of cap space for next year and beyond and the team trading for him will have to think he's worth more than we want to pay him AND the massive draft capital they have to give up. I think it's good and fair for both side to know what the market offers, if there is some giant gap from what we are willing to offer. 

It seems like the culture of this team to be willing to let people go if they get a better offer or really want to. But, I also feel the best fit for both sides is a long term deal here, so I'd be surprised if another team valued him so much more than the Ravens.

We definitely are the type of team that does this sort of thing, plenty of players have talked about it in the past. And to your point - I think that may actually help mend some things between Lamar and the FO. According to reports when it first happened, literally 31/32 owners were livid about the Watson guaranteed contract. If Lamar is given permission to talk to other teams and sees that no one else in the league is on board with the fully guaranteed thing, and it was a desperate one-off by the Browns, perhaps that shifts his perspective a bit about getting low-balled (in his eyes).

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just putting this out there. Lamar has finished 3 out of his 5 years here injured.  

Last I checked the season isn't over and Lamar has a good chance to return for the playoffs. Unless you know something we don't? 

The whole him being injury-prone is kind of becoming a reality at this point.

I don't think he was ever considered injury prone. It was that, if he were to have injuries, his rushing effectiveness would decline. However, he's leading the NFL in yards per carry (6.8, only .1 less than in 2019) and has easily his highest rushing DVOA of his career this year. 

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

We definitely are the type of team that does this sort of thing, plenty of players have talked about it in the past. And to your point - I think that may actually help mend some things between Lamar and the FO. According to reports when it first happened, literally 31/32 owners were livid about the Watson guaranteed contract. If Lamar is given permission to talk to other teams and sees that no one else in the league is on board with the fully guaranteed thing, and it was a desperate one-off by the Browns, perhaps that shifts his perspective a bit about getting low-balled (in his eyes).

This could also backfire terribly. Without an agent to vet things it would be easy for a team that has no love for us to say to Lamar, “we’ll absolutely give you a fully guaranteed contract if Baltimore is reasonable with their trade demands “ It then puts even more angst in our relationship with him if we are wanting 3+ 1sts and that team floating a fully guaranteed contract isn’t actually serious and offers something they know we will reject. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Last I checked the season isn't over and Lamar has a good chance to return for the playoffs. Unless you know something we don't? 

Lamar is definitely not returning before the regular season is over, and at this point unless he practices next week I'd have doubts of him returning for our first playoff game, either. I do love how his timeline went from "maybe next week" to "2-3 weeks" to now being "4-6 weeks, which is totally normal for this type of injury". I'm not going to be surprised if we don't see him again at all this year.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar is definitely not returning before the regular season is over, and at this point unless he practices next week I'd have doubts of him returning for our first playoff game, either. I do love how his timeline went from "maybe next week" to "2-3 weeks" to now being "4-6 weeks, which is totally normal for this type of injury". I'm not going to be surprised if we don't see him again at all this year.

Rapoport reported the team was hopeful he would be back against Atlanta and then said he would test his knee in practice this week, even though it didn't happen, so he should be getting close.

I think he'll be back against Cincinnati.