Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Your own fanbase on this forum has called him a mental midget.

There's really no sense in reading into much of what the fanbase on here says. 

Some of Carr's biggest haters on here would have traded the house for guys like Tua, Manziel, Russ- actual midgets. 

Carr is a fine QB. He's not transcendental, but few are. He has a chance to catch a second wind for his career, probably 6-8 years left in the tank if all goes well. He's pretty safe with the ball. Biggest issue with him is a lack of consistency- which, he's never been given either, fwiw. He's not necessarily exciting, but he can absolutely put a team into contention with decent coaching and help. 

The clown show the Raiders have been skews Carr's overall reputation for a lot of people. Some are too critical, some probably not enough so. There were some rumblings that Carr didn't take well to McDaniels criticism this year, according to unnamed players (who have been with the Raiders for Gruden/Bisaccia and McDaniels at most so also haven't exactly gone through the ringer Carr has). And hey, ya know what? I'd probably check out myself if I were given turd sandwich after turd sandwich only to get critiqued by the ultimate fail bro HC while my status was seemingly in perpetual limbo. 

Frankly, we've rarely seen a career like Carr's. Dude lasted almost a decade through multiple rebuilds, HCs, bad ownership, and GMs, and his worst seasons were his rookie year on a bad team and this last season that was still fairly decent by most metrics and given context. Aside from his biggest detractors, a lot of people still see top 12 or so potential, and that's based on what we've seen him do with said turd sandwiches. Put plainly, most players put in Carr's shoes fall off and usually out of the league altogether. Sorta defeats the mental midget argument lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

There's really no sense in reading into much of what the fanbase on here says. 

Some of Carr's biggest haters on here would have traded the house for guys like Tua, Manziel, Russ- actual midgets. 

Carr is a fine QB. He's not transcendental, but few are. He has a chance to catch a second wind for his career, probably 6-8 years left in the tank if all goes well. He's pretty safe with the ball. Biggest issue with him is a lack of consistency- which, he's never been given either, fwiw. He's not necessarily exciting, but he can absolutely put a team into contention with decent coaching and help. 

The clown show the Raiders have been skews Carr's overall reputation for a lot of people. Some are too critical, some probably not enough so. There were some rumblings that Carr didn't take well to McDaniels criticism this year, according to unnamed players (who have been with the Raiders for Gruden/Bisaccia and McDaniels at most so also haven't exactly gone through the ringer Carr has). And hey, ya know what? I'd probably check out myself if I were given turd sandwich after turd sandwich only to get critiqued by the ultimate fail bro HC while my status was seemingly in perpetual limbo. 

Frankly, we've rarely seen a career like Carr's. Dude lasted almost a decade through multiple rebuilds, HCs, bad ownership, and GMs, and his worst seasons were his rookie year on a bad team and this last season that was still fairly decent by most metrics and given context. Aside from his biggest detractors, a lot of people still see top 12 or so potential, and that's based on what we've seen him do with said turd sandwiches. Put plainly, most players put in Carr's shoes fall off and usually out of the league altogether. Sorta defeats the mental midget argument lol

Be happy to trade leshuan for him

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

How would the Saints even afford him?

They're not going to pay him at his current contract

Nobody is 

He's going to sign a new contract with them potentially once he gets cut. 

He's going to have to restructure no matter what. Just get cut and negotiate the contract afterwards and your team can keep its assets. 

17 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Carr is the perfect QB if you want to guarantee your team never wins anything important, but is never able to get someone better

Hahahahahahahaha I've never seen a better description. Good enough QB to get .500, and maybe a playoff berth here and there, and will always keep you away from that shiny new QB. 

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

They're not going to pay him at his current contract

Nobody is 

He's going to sign a new contract with them potentially once he gets cut. 

He's going to have to restructure no matter what. Just get cut and negotiate the contract afterwards and your team can keep its assets. 

Yeah, but the Saints are $56M are over the cap lol.

It feels like groundhogs day every offseason when people ask “how will the Saints sign _____ player”. Oddly enough this is probably our best cap situation heading into an offseason the past few years. Last year we had it way worse and still signed some key players. Next year in theory our cap situation should be better as well. 

• Like 2