Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

He doesn't but money wise a trade is in his best interest. He's not going to make the same on the open market and his Raiders contract is solid. The smart move is to just find a trade partner and get them and/or the Raiders to split the contract. 

The only real reason for him not to seek a trade is if he really wants to stick it to the Raiders. But then he's probably sacrificing one of his last big paychecks.

Most of the teams in the market for Carr won’t be able to afford his current contract, though. NO and Tampa are already drastically over the cap. The Jets wouldn’t be able to eat the hit either. Washington, after cutting Wentz, would be cutting it insanely close. So even if all parties were interested in the trade, Carr would’ve had to re-work that deal anyway. 

If I’m Carr, knowing that, I absolutely request my release too. Let me negotiate my own terms, with whomever I want without working around permission, save my future team from giving up assets, etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Lmao. It was a joy to beat that guy for a decade. Never liked him and his crappy tattoos.

where are the Raiders that said he was elite?

Was it really a joy to finish 9-9 against Derek Carr in the last decade?

And I dare you to find a post where someone said Derek Carr was elite. Hint: you won’t.

• Like 3

I think that the Saints and Carr likely have a deal in place. But there was no need to do the trade, as both the Saints and Carr had no interest in giving the Raiders compensation. It is a little personal for Carr. The Saints now have the ability to restructure the contract while cutting out the middleman. I still think that Carr gets paid, but I don’t think Carr ever intended to be traded…as much out of spite as financial compensation 

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that the Saints and Carr likely have a deal in place. But there was no need to do the trade, as both the Saints and Carr had no interest in giving the Raiders compensation. It is a little personal for Carr. The Saints now have the ability to restructure the contract while cutting out the middleman. I still think that Carr gets paid, but I don’t think Carr ever intended to be traded…as much out of spite as financial compensation 

Which is why I would love it if the Raiders dug their heels in and picked up the $40 million option. Compete for the job for the first time in your career (hopefully with CJ Stroud), waive the trade clause, or retire. The choice is yours DC. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 12:27 AM, brownie man said:

Yeah Carr was never getting traded 

I think the Commanders make a lot of sense. I feel like him and Ron would work well together. 

It's not really possible. There is no way Dan Snyder is stroking a check when he's selling the team and I'm sure the new owners would prefer not to pay that bill either. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:27 PM, brownie man said:

Yeah Carr was never getting traded 

I think the Commanders make a lot of sense. I feel like him and Ron would work well together. 

I hope not.

Don't want Carr.

I'd rather start Sam Howell on that cheap 5th round contract.

SIgn a vet in the 3-5M range, to be his backup.

Draft another QB on day 3 of the draft this April.

Put all other resources in FA & Draft to build team around Sam Howell.

Build that O-line. Get another Linebacker.

Possibly get a star TE.

Do that & I'm happy.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, sammymvpknight said:

Yeah, it would have made no sense for Carr to accept a trade and have his destination lose valuable draft resources when he knew the Raiders weren't going to give him $40 million today.