Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, it would have made no sense for Carr to accept a trade and have his destination lose valuable draft resources when he knew the Raiders weren't going to give him $40 million today.

He would’ve locked himself into that $40M GTD elsewhere but there just wasn’t a trade market for him. The Saints were the only team that made an offer.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He would’ve locked himself into that $40M GTD elsewhere but there just wasn’t a trade market for him. The Saints were the only team that made an offer.

The teams weren't going to make the trade without a restructure in place.

The 40m was never actually on the table.

His choices were accept a restructure to allow a trade to go through or refuse the restructure and become an fa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

The teams weren't going to make the trade without a restructure in place.

The 40m was never actually on the table.

His choices were accept a restructure to allow a trade to go through or refuse the restructure and become an fa.

I think that Carr was pretty upset about the situation. I think that finances may have been part of it, but I don’t think he had an intent of being traded and the Raiders getting compensation for him, regardless of the finances. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that Carr was pretty upset about the situation. I think that finances may have been part of it, but I don’t think he had an intent of being traded and the Raiders getting compensation for him, regardless of the finances. 

The Saints were the only team that ever made a legitimate offer and they wanted him to take a pay cut. Can’t trade someone if there’s not a market. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Saints were the only team that ever made a legitimate offer and they wanted him to take a pay cut. Can’t trade someone if there’s not a market. 

There is speculation that’s the case but nothing concrete. He would have had to restructure but there is a difference between restricting and taking a paycut. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why would teams make offers when they have every right to believe they can wait and sign him as a free agent? The fact that even one team made an offer is a very good sign for Carr's chances to make that money back and more in free agency. 

1 minute ago, seriously27 said:

Why would teams make offers when they have every right to believe they can wait and sign him as a free agent? The fact that even one team made an offer is a very good sign for Carr's chances to make that money back and more in free agency. 

Because trading for him is the only way they would’ve been able to secure him 100%? 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Because trading for him is the only way they would’ve been able to secure him 100%? 

But why would Carr accept a restructure and the team acquiring him to lose assets in the process, when they can just work out a contract as an unrestricted free agent?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

But why would Carr accept a restructure and the team acquiring him to lose assets in the process, when they can just work out a contract as an unrestricted free agent?

Depends on what the restructure would’ve looked like but facilitating a trade would’ve kept his NTC intact and he would’ve still been set to have the 7th largest contract in the league over the next 3 seasons.

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Again, pay-cut versus restructure. The Saints couldn’t afford to pay him $40 million this year. So he would have had to reduce his pay this year, but not necessarily over the course of the contract. I’d be surprised if the total was a big issue. It was not likely the reason that he wasn’t traded…it was more likely related to Carr not wanting to see the Raiders get compensation and to test the waters in FA. I’m doubtful he makes much less as a free agent than if he would have been traded when looking at the total contract. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Because he has more leverage to keep the number higher when there is the appearance the Raiders still can trade him somewhere else. Now the Saints can negotiate from 0 instead of 40 million and Carr has to worry about what his market is 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Because he has more leverage to keep the number higher when there is the appearance the Raiders still can trade him somewhere else. Now the Saints can negotiate from 0 instead of 40 million and Carr has to worry about what his market is 

I guarantee you a contract structure has already been discussed and in place IF Carr wanted to sign in NO. At no point was Carr going to except a trade, giving LV anything. Pretty sure the Saints were on board with that as well.

They aren't starting from 0, because if that's thier thought they aren't in the discussion.  He will move on to plenty of other suitors. Believe me, he has plenty of options especially with the Saints Rivals within the division. 

I think there’s a solid chance the Saints had no intention of actually trading for Carr and just wanted first crack at a de-facto FA visit. They were never going to afford that cap hit and Carr had legitimately zero reason to restructure just so the Raiders can get assets from the new team he’d be going to.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think there’s a solid chance the Saints had no intention of actually trading for Carr and just wanted first crack at a de-facto FA visit. They were never going to afford that cap hit and Carr had legitimately zero reason to restructure just so the Raiders can get assets from the new team he’d be going to.

Exactly, no one was giving him his remaining contract after the year he just had.