Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

Now the Raiders are done with Carr but...whats their plan going forward?

There's a very decent chance the Raiders downgrade in 2023 with no clear plans at QB heading into 2024

Brady, Jimmy G, Mayfield & trading for Mac Jones seem like the best options this coming offseason. Unless McDaniels likes a rookie

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

How does this affect Davante Adams? Didn't he come to the Raiders in large part to play with Carr?

Partly because he's best friends with Carr, partly because he is an enormous Raiders fan and partly because we were desirable financially (No state tax, willing to pay the enormous contract, etc).

I think/hope DA stays as you couldn't find a better WR to help mentor our rookie QBOTF.

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

There's a very decent chance the Raiders downgrade in 2023 with no clear plans at QB heading into 2024

Brady, Jimmy G, Mayfield & trading for Mac Jones seem like the best options this coming offseason. Unless McDaniels likes a rookie

Carr for Mac Jones. 

Get it done, Bill!!!

(I'm joking)

24 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I feel like they are just going to rebuild.

Long overdue. Carr is not a good QB and has been overrated by certain Raider fans for a long time. 

- Terrible under pressure, complete panic, 

- His deep ball is atrocious and he hates throwing deep

- Cannot throw with anticipation at all, what so ever. To be a franchise QB, you need to throw with anticipation like Burrow, Tua, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Watson, etc. This has always been Carr’s biggest flaw for me, and it’s why Top defenses destroy him. 

- Not a great mental processor. If his assessment of the defense is wrong once he snaps the ball, and his first read isn’t open, he panics. 

- Gives up on 3rd down like it’s a 1st or 2nd down. 

- Below average pocket presence

- One of the worst play extenders in the league

He does have pros though:

- Accuracy and Arm Strength short and intermediate is very very good

- He is very good pre snap at reading defense and making audibles and adjustments

Overall, I would say Carr is a below average starting QB in the NFL in the  18-21 range. He has always been overrated when he goes on his 4 game hot streaks once a year. 

Colts will likely make yet another mistake at QB as they always do. 

I’m glad Carr will finally be gone. He has been holding this team back for so so long. All 31 other NFL Franchises would have got rid of Carr a long LONG time ago. Mark Davis keeps hiring coaches that say they will keep Carr and build around Carr. Davis has always had a hard-on for Carr. The only time a coach has ever held Carr accountable for his play was Del Rio in 2017 and Davis canned him. Davis has protecting Carr for soooooo long. No more. He’s finished. We might be worse the first season without, and Carr’s team will probably have more success than the Raiders the first year, but the Raiders will be more successful long term. 

• Like 1

The fact people are taking about Brady or Jimmy G simply because they played under McDip**** who coached under the GOAT is really telling how narrow minded some people are. The "Patriot" way has not worked anywhere outside of Belichick's watchful eye, and we've seen it attempted numerous times for the last decade plus. 

Putting that sort of faith in a tool like Josh McDaniels is insane and is going to blow up. Something about leading a horse to water I guess. 

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The fact people are taking about Brady or Jimmy G simply because they played under McDip**** who coached under the GOAT is really telling how narrow minded some people are. The "Patriot" way has not worked anywhere outside of Belichick's watchful eye, and we've seen it attempted numerous times for the last decade plus. 

Putting that sort of faith in a tool like Josh McDaniels is insane and is going to blow up. Something about leading a horse to water I guess. 

I was asking for Brady HARD in 2020. He was the answer and I knew who Carr was, a below average QB that will simply not get the job done. Brady was still a superstar entering 2020. He also would have brought more talent with him with all his massive connections. 

However, I agree, Brady nor Jimmy are the answer. Jimmy isn’t even better than Carr. Jimmy might be a better fit for McDaniels system, but he’s not a good QB. 

Gambling on a young guy is the answer. Even if we very aggressively have to trade up. 

We do need to sign a one year journeyman veteran who can win games. Brady isn’t going to do a one year deal. It might have to be Jimmy or Baker who I think are both worse than Carr. 

I always figured the first year without Carr, our team and QB play will be worse the initial season, but it is so beneficial long term if we choose the right guy in the draft. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I was asking for Brady HARD in 2020. He was the answer and I knew who Carr was, a below average QB that will simply not get the job done. Brady was still a superstar entering 2020. He also would have brought more talent with him with all his massive connections

However, I agree, Brady nor Jimmy are the answer. Jimmy isn’t even better than Carr. Jimmy might be a better fit for McDaniels system, but he’s not a good QB. 

Gambling on a young guy is the answer. Even if we very aggressively have to trade up. 

We do need to sign a one year journeyman veteran who can win games. Brady isn’t going to do a one year deal. It might have to be Jimmy or Baker who I think are both worse than Carr. 

I always figured the first year without Carr, our team and QB play will be worse the initial season, but it is so beneficial long term if we choose the right guy in the draft. 

Doubtful. He didn't exactly bring the stars to Tampa. 

That said, our options are indeed very very limited at this point. McDaniels doesn't help matters either as he's done nothing ever to warrant confidence in his decisions with QBs. He rode Brady's success and had absolutely no choice in the matter. Sure, some of New England's backup QBs looked decent here and there, but none ever really did much elsewhere aside from Jimmy- who, let's be real, wouldn't have been starting if Lance was healthy and probably would've been long gone but for his contract. 

I've been fine with trading Carr since last year, provided there was a plan in place. Unfortunately, those now making said plan are the same brain trust that ran Jay Cutler off needlessly and then drafted Tim Tebow in round 1. If Mark Davis had a pair of stones, he'd say screw it, trade Carr, trade Waller, and probably try and trade Adams, fire McDaniels, find a real HC, and allow that person to go forward rebuilding the offense from the ground up. As it stands, we're going to be mismashing old and new and doing so under the eye of someone who doesn't seem to have a plan except hoping it works out differently than the other 11 of 13 tries (Daboll being in his first year and O'Connell only being part of the tree by proxy of spending his rookie season as a Patriot being the 12th and 13th tries). 

Dumpster fire from top to bottom this organization is. I'm not even optimistic we yield any real results until another coaching change and some more blown draft picks down the road.  

The Raiders are a mess. They traded for Adams not just bc he is arguably the best receiver in the NFL but bc of his connection with Carr. Now they are going to move on from Carr at the risk of making Adams disgruntled and possibly wanting out.

Now who are the Raiders going to get to replace Carr? Not saying Carr is a top 10 QB but he has top 10 QB moments like leading the most comebacks in the NFL since he got into the NFL. He had to carry a dysfunctional Raiders franchise in particular last season and made the playoffs. Nearly beat the Bengals in the playoffs. I think the Raiders issues are more them as an organization and McDaniels as a HC than Carr himself. Again not saying Carr is a top 10 QB but you can say between 12 and at worst 16. So unless Brady comes for a year and the Raiders go all in to try to win a Superbowl next season before figuring out long term QB solution moving forward Idk who they can bring in that will be better? Jimmy G isnt better than Carr. If they have any high draft picks I guess they can go draft someone but we know how the Raiders draft picks tend to not work out more than they do work out so even thats a crap shoot. 

In the end if Im Carr Im happy to be done with the Raiders. If Im him Im looking at a team like the Jets. They have a young talented good defense and a young talented offense that all it needs is a QB. Carr on the Jets would instantly make them serious contenders for the playoffs and even somewhat of a threat in the playoffs.

• Like 2