Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

Carr removing himself from the team the final two games (confirmed his choice) is such a Baker Mayfield move. People are quick to judge Baker because he has an ego, and hesitant to judge Carr because he is a “nice guy”, but Carr should be judged for this. He has always been sensitive and self absorbed over any reports of the team moving on. He has never reacted like a business professional. And him not showing up the final two games just shows how selfish he really is. If anyone buys the “distraction” excuse you are more naive than I can describe. It’s a selfish move out of being sensitive, bitter, and emotional. Carr cares about himself. I’ve been telling people stop falling for that nice guy act. His examples of being immature and self absorbed over the years have been plenty. 

Good riddance, stay at home Carr. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

So there were reports before that the Raiders can't fire McD because the owner doesn't have the cash to do so. The team saves ~29.3mil cutting Carr. Any chance they just don't use a large chunk of that to afford paying McD to walk? Then you have that cap rollover into 2024 assuming they don't overpay some vets. I know it isn't the same pot of money per se, but I wonder if this would help make it work. It's a shame coaching contracts aren't available like a player's contract.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr removing himself from the team the final two games (confirmed his choice) is such a Baker Mayfield move. People are quick to judge Baker because he has an ego, and hesitant to judge Carr because he is a “nice guy”, but Carr should be judged for this. He has always been sensitive and self absorbed over any reports of the team moving on. He has never reacted like a business professional. And him not showing up the final two games just shows how selfish he really is. If anyone buys the “distraction” excuse you are more naive than I can describe. It’s a selfish move out of being sensitive, bitter, and emotional. Carr cares about himself. I’ve been telling people stop falling for that nice guy act. His examples of being immature and self absorbed over the years have been plenty. 

Good riddance, stay at home Carr. 

Wait, it was confirmed this was HIS decision?!

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

How does this affect Davante Adams? Didn't he come to the Raiders in large part to play with Carr?

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

They gotta trade Adams now but to who? What are you gonna give up for a WR who is gonna turn 31 in season next year  WR making 30 mill?

Adams is a Raiders fan, is now living in Nevada where he gets to keep most of his earnings, and probably most importantly of all is a professional.

Yeah, he'll be bummed out by this, but I’d be very surprised if he was traded. Only way I see that happen would be if Davis fires McDaniels as well and goes full rebuild.

45 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wait, it was confirmed this was HIS decision?!

Raiders benched Carr and Carr asked for permission to leave the team.  That way, Carr won't have to deal with media and practice craps during the final weeks.  Nothing is wrong with that decision.

• Like 3

Idk how much stock you want to put into The Athletic but...

https://theathletic.com/4041696/2022/12/28/derek-carr-benched-raiders-mark-davis/?source=user_shared_article

"Owner Mark Davis has in fact been lukewarm on Carr for a while, apparently thinking the quarterback should have overcome all the disastrous draft picks and free-agent signings and all the coaches that Davis has hired and fired since 2014. When Davis hired general manager Dave Ziegler and McDaniels in January, he let them make the call on continuing on with Carr.

During that interview process, Ziegler and McDaniels had to be a little taken aback by what they heard about Carr. Davis turned over the reigns of the two-week search to former vice president of player personnel Ken Herock, and Herock, now 81, is not one to mince words. Other GM and coaching candidates were shocked by how despairingly Raiders officials in the interview room spoke of Carr, according to people familiar with the discussions.”

“Ziegler and McDaniels met for two nights to discuss Carr’s status, and my read is that on Tuesday night, they were leaning toward keeping Carr as the starter. They have, after all, been preaching the importance of winning and are still technically alive for the playoffs (though it’s possible they are eliminated before they take the field Sunday). Carr is a team captain and very respected by teammates in the locker room, and teammates may not think making him a scapegoat is fair or honorable. I think that is when Davis stepped in and decided that it was time for a change.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Raiders benched Carr and Carr asked for permission to leave the team.  That way, Carr won't have to deal with media and practice craps during the final weeks.  Nothing is wrong with that decision.

Actually, there is a lot wrong with this decision. Even though it is tough and tons of media questions, you still go and support your team. Every time there were reports of the Raiders ditching Carr, Carr never acted like a professional. He has acted the same way Baker did, almost to a Tee. Yet doesn’t get criticized. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Actually, there is a lot wrong with this decision. Even though it is tough and tons of media questions, you still go and support your team. Every time there were reports of the Raiders ditching Carr, Carr never acted like a professional. He has acted the same way Baker did, almost to a Tee. Yet doesn’t get criticized. 

Well, I am sorry about that.    Hey, what do you think of Marcus Mariota's behavior? 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Remember when he challenged Max Kellerman and Steven A Smith to a fight? Lol

I know David Carr is gonna trash the Raiders as soon as the season ends.

Honestly , he should be supporting his team the last two games. Stepping away is just an excuse..a chicken 

Edited by bucksavage1

30 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I mean, he could help out a young guy in Stidham, who’s trying to get some footwork in this league and make a career out of football? Like most backups do. It’s not like McDaniels or anyone else is going to get questioned any less about Carr stuff just because he isn’t there. 

If those are the facts, that’s a soft move IMO.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, he could help out a young guy in Stidham, who’s trying to get some footwork in this league and make a career out of football? Like most backups do. It’s not like McDaniels or anyone else is going to get questioned any less about Carr stuff just because he isn’t there. 

If those are the facts, that’s a soft move IMO.

Stidham spent his rookie year learning under Brady. He has also been with McDaniels and his offensive system for all 3 of his years in the league. He should know the system better than Carr.

Carr is a loser to be honest. He has been one of the worst RZ QBs since entering the NFL. If we didn’t have all -pro kickers, the losses would of been more 

Could the Raiders have built a better team yess but he had his roles helping the losing as well. Raiders will sucker another team into acquiring high draft capital for Carr

• Like 1