Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

But this is what I don't understand. If the gameplan is to draft a young QB and get a one year vet in the interim, why not just keep Carr + Adams next year? If you already don't anticipate winning a SB with Jimmy or Baker or Brady, why not just eat next year with Carr?

Then, the rookie is being mentored by a 9 year vet of the organization instead of some random jabroni off the streets. Then you don't piss off your number 1 WR for next year. Then you don't lose the locker room this year. Idk, just seems to me that it's not much of an upgrade, but rather a sidegrade if you are planning on signing a journeyman qb anyway. 

Obviously Carr quitting on the team kind of exacerbates this problem, so idk anymore, but prior to benching him I think keeping him would have been the move imo. Even if you were planning on moving on from him, benching only nukes his trade value, right? So that they can take a look at Jared freakin' Stidham lol?

I just don't know if I understand this. 

Carr’s contract becomes guaranteed plus we have had him wayyyy too long. It’s always “one more year!”. I’m tired of one more year. It’s long overdue. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Have you bowed out while still collecting checks? While your “friends”/“family”/teammates were still putting in work, for the franchise you supposedly love and care about? It’s not exactly comparable. 

What is this huge punishment he’s avoiding? Having to do interviews, maybe? Whatever it is, he was fine doing it while he was the starter - now that’s he’s not, he needs out? No one’s asking him to bend over backwards. He gets paid millions to ride the bench, show up in plain clothes, and help out a team mate during practice. It’s soft.

Yes, I've told clients to piss off and I'll be expecting my check in the mail. That's how business works. Lol. If clients paid up front, that'd be great. 

You're assuming it's punishment he's avoiding. We have a divided locker room, Adams is clearly pissed, and I doubt other guys are rejoicing the move. Derek would, at this point, be a distraction for Stidham, the staff, and the rest of the roster. 

If Jarrett Stidham goes out and looks atrocious, what do you think would happen if Carr was on the sidelines? This isn't an injury situation and by all accounts not a particularly popular move internally. We look like trash, people are going to start openly questioning McDaniels. They're trying to hold things together and weather a storm. The last thing they need is someone attracting attention who isn't even playing. 

Sometimes removing oneself from a situation is actually the best thing that can be done. Carr was benched, not deactivated. That would put Stidham on a needlessly short leash and it would look bad on the coaches if Carr were put back in (or if he wasn't despite things going further south). Neither would be fair to Stidham, the coaches (not that I think they deserve it), or even the other players. Carr not being an option at all is the best thing right now, so I wholeheartedly disagree with the assessment it's soft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamq said:

I highly doubt Carr is the type of person to help a young QB. The Alex Smith's are far more rare than the Aaron Rodgers' in this regard

"Even if you were planning on moving on from him, benching only nukes his trade value, right? So that they can take a look at Jared freakin' Stidham lol?"

This is the part I def do not understand. Just let him play out the final 2 games, pretend all is good, and get as much as you can in a trade

If he gets injured in the last two games the $33m in his contract for next year becomes fully guaranteed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes, I've told clients to piss off and I'll be expecting my check in the mail. That's how business works. Lol. If clients paid up front, that'd be great. 

Ah. Unfortunately, I don’t think most of the world says “I’m not coming to work today, because I just don’t feel like it, and I still expect to get paid”. The league would be pretty crappy if guys just didn’t show up because they weren’t starters.

You're assuming it's punishment he's avoiding. We have a divided locker room, Adams is clearly pissed, and I doubt other guys are rejoicing the move. Derek would, at this point, be a distraction for Stidham, the staff, and the rest of the roster. 

Yes, because I don’t buy that Carr’s a distraction by staying. The pissed players won’t be any less pissed because Carr is there or not, he won’t be playing regardless.

If Jarrett Stidham goes out and looks atrocious, what do you think would happen if Carr was on the sidelines? This isn't an injury situation and by all accounts not a particularly popular move internally. We look like trash, people are going to start openly questioning McDaniels. They're trying to hold things together and weather a storm. The last thing they need is someone attracting attention who isn't even playing. 

He’s going to attract attention anyway. You think McDaniels and Adams and Stidham won’t be questioned up and down, just because Carr isn’t sitting in the locker room?

They’re expected to bottom out with Stidham regardless. What’re you “weathering”? And what “weathering” are you going to completely avoid if Carr is watching at home? Like, are the beat writers going to see a sorry performance, more bad coaching, more bad second half execution, a crappy QB, and then be like “well, Carr’s not here so let’s take it easy on them”? I don’t get the upside here.

If anything he’d save them all some questioning because he’s be able to stand at the podium and say “I didn’t get it done, that’s why we’re here”. 

Sometimes removing oneself from a situation is actually the best thing that can be done. Carr was benched, not deactivated. That would put Stidham on a needlessly short leash and it would look bad on the coaches if Carr were put back in (or if he wasn't despite things going further south). Neither would be fair to Stidham, the coaches (not that I think they deserve it), or even the other players. Carr not being an option at all is the best thing right now, so I wholeheartedly disagree with the assessment it's soft. 

Why would it put him on a shorter leash? Because the fans would boo (as if they aren’t going to boo if he sucks anyway)? 

More often than not, you see QBs take the high road here. Bledsoe didn’t abandon the team when he got benched, to avoid being a “distraction” or anything else. Neither did Matt Ryan. Or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Or Mitch Trubisky. Or Teddy Bridgewater. Or Taylor Heinicke. Or Tyrod Taylor. Or Jameis Winston. Or Alex Smith. Or Jacoby Brissett. Or Andy Dalton. And if it was purely a distraction thing, then they’d all leave too.

You brought up the other factors (HCing, ownership, etc). There are no apple-to-apple comparisons with situations here, none will match the Raiders’ situation to a tee, but I don’t believe that the environment is so much worse than practically every locker room in NFL history that Carr is just being forced to take no other action than leave…and apparently all those things were manageable as the starter, but for two more weeks, aren’t anymore as the backup. Nah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Ah. Unfortunately, I don’t think most of the world says “I’m not coming to work today, because I just don’t feel like it, and I still expect to get paid”. The league would be pretty crappy if guys just didn’t show up because they weren’t starters.

Yes, because I don’t buy that Carr’s a distraction by staying. The pissed players won’t be any less pissed because Carr is there or not, he won’t be playing regardless.

To the first point, most of the world doesn't apply to the NFL. You can't demand endless loyalty AND make moves to get out of contracts practically unilaterally. Don't even get me started on contracts lol. Moot point though. 

To the second, your stance and mine are both subjective so we'll have to agree to disagree on it. 

I want to draft a QB in the first, but if the Jets also want to swap Wilson and Carr, might as well kick the tires on Wilson. 

Wilson seems like he likely might be a bust but kick the tires on Wilson for 2023 while our 1st Round QB is waiting in the wings to start in 2024 (or second half of 2023). 

• Like 1

If Carr gets to choose his own team, he’s definitely not choosing a cold weather team. I also think the Colts are done with their Veteran Carrousel. Carr’s options are pretty limited to be honest. 

I could see him go to New Orleans depending on who the Head Coach hire is. Carr always plays very well in that dome. And the division opponents all offer non-cold climates.. Tamp-warm, Atlanta-dome, Carolina-neutral. 

12 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Nah Carr will have more then enough options

Indy

Jets

Commanders 

maybe Titans 

maybe Giants 

maybe Falcons 

maybe Buccs 

maybe Saints 

maybe Panthers 

deff those top 3 will be the favorites but he’ll have options especially if he’s flat out cut. 

I don’t see how the Bucs/Saints afford him. Even the Panthers are pretty tight, they’d have to extend Burns.

Edited by Yin-Yang

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t see how the Bucs/Saints afford him. Even the Panthers are pretty tight, they’d have to extend Burns.

If Kingsbury gets fired, I'd consider adding Arizona to the list. 

They should have the space and I don't think Kyler Murray is particularly attractive to potential HC's at this point. He's becoming way too much of a headache on and off the field. That said, I haven't looked at his contract....they may be stuck in a Russ type situation no?

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I want to draft a QB in the first, but if the Jets also want to swap Wilson and Carr, might as well kick the tires on Wilson. 

Wilson seems like he likely might be a bust but kick the tires on Wilson for 2023 while our 1st Round QB is waiting in the wings to start in 2024 (or second half of 2023). 

Wilson is horrific. He watches the rushers coming at him instead of what’s down the field. He can’t see open receivers. He is a failed experiment.

might as well bring a backup QB in whilst a drafted QB sits 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Kingsbury gets fired, I'd consider adding Arizona to the list. 

They should have the space and I don't think Kyler Murray is particularly attractive to potential HC's at this point. He's becoming way too much of a headache on and off the field. That said, I haven't looked at his contract....they may be stuck in a Russ type situation no?

Kingsbury schemes are helping no QB win. Kyler is out for potentially next season with an injury. I can see Brissett signing with them next season or even Mayfield/Darnold 

Kyler away from kingsbury is the most clueless coach in the NFL after Hackett was fired 

Edited by bucksavage1